What's new

What's the roughest coaster in the UK and why?

Trax

Hyper Poster
I doubt that Tonnerre de Zeus is a valid candidate for roughest coaster in the UK.
I doubt my ability to read :) See it that way: It is so bad, that it comes to my mind as soon as I hear rough.

Last edited:

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
Hopefully better, though the theming and interactions with the station building/gift shop and paths are a big part of what makes Colossus good, albiet increasingly concreted over in recent years.
But overall it’s roughness makes it a bad ride, restraints are bad aswell

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Colossus is definitely not comfortable in any row other than the front I've found, quite a bit of headbanging usually, but not as bad as the likes of Infusion.
There is quite a bit of hangtime from what I remember in the endless heartline rolls. Quite good. And I like the little airtime hill straight after the loop heading towards the cobra roll.

What I don't understand on a coaster from 2002, is why the operations are sooo incredibly bad and slow. The trains seem cramped and the overhead restraints are ridiculously bulky. The lift hill also seems slow. Something like Python.

It will be interesting to see how the Flamingo Land version rides with just lapbars and if that helps operations. I would have thought new trains would help a lot on the Thorpe Park one.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Whoever designed the restraints for Colossus is a lunatic. They are absolutely huge.

Colossus isn't that rough, just uncomfortable because of said restraints. It's an excellent front row ride and the Flamingo Land one could end up being many people's no.1 UK coaster.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Colossus has on more than one occasion given me violent leg cramp due to the trains/restraints. No fun when you're stuck on the brake run with your legs pinned for a few minutes waiting for the other train to despatch. Looking forward to seeing how Flalossus compares.

IntaminFan20

Roller Poster
Thought this would be a bit of fun to see which coasters give the roughest ride experience. Having visited bpb for the 5th time yesterday I can honestly say the grand national is without doubt the roughest coaster Ive ever ridden. How its deemed safe to operate is beyond me. The structure looks like a strong gust of wind would blow it over, and the way the trains traverse the course is unreal. Corners are agony with a foot of lateral movement left to right, and the drops are no better. The trains bang up and down violently at the bottom of the drops which I can only assume is the timber flexing. Felt like I had been beat with a baseball bat when the ride finally came to a stop ?
I think that Infusion is awful, every inversion is awful and the slam into the breaks tries to rip your brain out.

Will

Strata Poster
Blackpool's the only park I've got to so far this year, so it's another vote for Grand National which was excessively brutal to the point of leaving me asking 'Why am I riding this?'

Speed at Oakwood also deserves a mention for the excessive brain-rattling.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
I don't mind the Nash. Always have a couple of laps when in Blackpool, most recently last August. Sure, it bounces around all over the place but I don't find it too rough at all.

Saw and Speed both give me headaches, as do many other Eurofighters.

The absolute worst for me is easily The Ultimate. And it goes on forever too. The metal lap bar doesn't come close enough to your thighs so you can't even brace yourself properly and are consistenly banged against it. Never again.

Niles

Giga Poster
Turbo at Brighton pier is the worst for me, its the only coaster in the UK that i think should be scraped. It does nothing good and its painful leaving bruises on my shoulder and a stiff neck for the next few days.

When it comes to the grand national it was rough but the dueling was fun, i then sat in the front not over a wheel arch making it less rough and with some nice pops of air i enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
I don't think we'll be seeing the back of Turbo anytime soon, the new owners have made some great aesthetic improvements to Palace Pier but the previous owners neglected it structurally so most of their available funds are going into ensuring it doesn't end up like the West Pier at the moment. A new coaster would be great for the city though, the council (indirectly I think as it's privately owned but public money was spent on it) are stuck with a mounting debt thanks to the i360 being such a colossal flop so it could be potentially be a real boost for both the pier and the city as a whole. I always thought one of those cute little Eurofighters would do well for them. I can't think of much else they'd be able to fit into the space.

Last edited:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
no mentions of this beaut yet??

but yeah - turbo is awful, as is

NOt had many problems with infusion or saw - and although nash can't beat you up it's fun!

Oh - and flying fish is inexplicably jolty throughout!