Hardly slept last nite
Having choice to be face muzzled or just not go out anywhere

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Compulsory masks. Just when my mental state was easing
My anxiety is now through the roof again
Hardly slept last nite
Having choice to be face muzzled or just not go out anywhere
Are you not getting used them yet? You’ve been towers etc a few times haven’t you?

Sorry to be blunt, you seem a nice guy, but faced with a choice of causing people anxiety, or thousands more losing lives, families losing loved ones, and many more long term ill... I know which I’d prefer.

For the record, I cannot stand wearing them either, they’re itchy, uncomfortable, they’ve given me sores at the top of my ears from wearing one all day, they don’t help my very mild asthma, and my heavily asthmatic partner struggles more, they move around and constantly need adjusting (carefully) and they fog up my sunnies, leaving me with a choice of being being blinded by sun or mist.... Yet we both prefer to wear them with pride, as they could save lives!!!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Nice to see you are so kind and catering about those people with mental health disabilities :rolleyes:
Wear a mask mate. I know you're just trying to twist my words, but you're in the wrong.

They’ve given me sores at the top of my ears from wearing one all day
You're probably aware of these already, but have yo considered ear savers, and wearing it around the back of your neck rather than over the ears? Just a suggestion, that's what I do and it helped so much!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You're probably aware of these already, but have yo considered ear savers, and wearing it around the back of your neck rather than over the ears? Just a suggestion, that's what I do and it helped so much!

One of the girls on the bar suggested them and I am gonna look into them. But I am also going to buy a black snood (the Europa Park one is probably not suitable for work) The only issue with snoods is that they’re even more restrictive on breathing... (I guess that means they potentially work better ??‍♂️) but it’s worth it for the comfort!

But thanks :)

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Nice to see you are so kind and catering about those people with mental health disabilities :rolleyes:

Ok, so you have a mental health disability, you might struggle to wear a mask, it might give you anxiety, but it’s that or more people lose their lives to this virus.

Unless you have a physical health condition which genuinely prevents you from wearing a mask, such as severe asthma, then at this point you have no excuse. If you aren’t wearing one you are putting other vulnerable people’s lives at risk. When will you get it into your head that we aren’t all just going around wearing masks for fun, this pandemic isn’t fun, but if we all stick to social distancing and we all wear masks, we will save lives, and then all of us might be able to have some fun in the future. Thousands more deaths and then none of those people who have lost their lives will be able to have any more fun.

Also to put it politely, if you have a mental health disability, I imagine you have been struggling a lot with lockdown, and I’m very sorry for that. But if we all wear masks now it could prevent a second lockdown. Forecasts are looking pretty bad for this virus and the upcoming winter, so if we don’t take action now then it’s going to be really bad and we will all be locked down again, which is much worse for people’s mental health than wearing masks out and about.

Wear a mask, not just because you have to, but because it’s the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
It's disappointing to see anxiety of wearing face coverings being laughed off like this on this forum.

Don't forget this will mean all the staff who work in shops have to wear them too for their entire shift.

Edit:
Actually there is an update on staff:
Environment Secretary George Eustice told BBC Breakfast the new mandatory rule for face coverings in shops does not apply to retail staff.

That was totally not clear yesterday. These rules seem so haphazardly implemented to me.
But I can understand the anxiety none the less.

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
It's disappointing to see anxiety of wearing face coverings being laughed off like this on this forum.

Don't forget this will mean all the staff who work in shops have to wear them too for their entire shift.

I just don’t really understand what there is to be anxious about. Wearing a face mask in indoor spaces can save someone’s life, I’m more than happy to do it as I know it’s protecting other people, and I would hope other people would be respectful and do the same back to me by wearing their face masks. It works both ways, I protect you, you protect me, then there’s nothing to be anxious about. I’d personally be more anxious if other people aren’t wearing their face masks, as that’s putting me at risk, while I’m protecting them.

Regardless:

Environment Secretary George Eustice told BBC Breakfast the new mandatory rule for face coverings in shops does not apply to retail staff.

Staff don’t have to wear them, but I would hope staff will choose to wear them out of courtesy to the shoppers, so that everyone is protected in the store. Nurses and doctors manage to wear one all day for 12-13 hour shifts, theme park ride operators are managing for long shifts etc etc. I know it’s not fun wearing a mask, but just think of the greater good, you are putting transmission of this virus to bed and helping to save lives.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
As someone with anxiety myself I find people not wearing masks, the fear this awful situation and suffering may long continue far worse and extremely anxiety inducing than wearing a mask which is really not that bad and not so inconvenient.

Staff and public alike in plenty of other countries have to wear masks without major issue; I don't get the general uproar among some on social media against the mask policy coming into England.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I just don’t really understand what there is to be anxious about. Wearing a face mask in indoor spaces can save someone’s life, I’m more than happy to do it as I know it’s protecting other people, and I would hope other people would be respectful and do the same back to me by wearing their face masks. It works both ways, I protect you, you protect me, then there’s nothing to be anxious about. I’d personally be more anxious if other people aren’t wearing their face masks, as that’s putting me at risk, while I’m protecting them.

I can, if you are hearing impaired for example this could be quite troublesome or if you already suffer from anxiety such as agoraphobia. Not being able to see people's expressions could definitely make that worse I would have thought.
I think this will definitely lead to more isolation and lower activity levels which are both not healthy either. How long will we go on with this is anyone's guess. Again I think people are rightfully to be somewhat apprehensive or anxious about that at least.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Nobody wants to wear a mask and it’s unfortunate that this may cause anxiety in people that suffer from it.

Beyond that, there isn’t really any discussion to be had. People suffering from such extreme anxiety will have to seek help from those that are more comfortable.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sorry but it’s a strange concept to me... Are we actually weighing up 50k deaths and 100s of thousands of sick people against people feeling anxious about wearing masks?

Anxiety, depression, difficulties communicating, and so on are all terrible things to suffer... And I feel bad for anyone who does suffer from them. But where I come from death or life changing disease is definitely worse. We’re actually exempt from mask wearing due to a listed condition... We will absolutely be wearing one... MASKS SAVE LIVES!!!

There’s an argument that depression and anxiety can cost lives too if it’s serious enough, and I would agree, but if the cause is a bloody mask, really? If that would trigger an episode serious enough to lead to that, then there’s far more at play, and that person needed help that they clearly weren’t getting long before being forced to wear a mask. :(

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
^ I don’t think people (on here) are saying that we shouldn’t wear masks, just that wearing masks causes anxiety and it’s unfortunate. I don’t think there is any disagreement other than the extent that we give sympathy to those with anxiety.... and that disagreement stems from the aforementioned misunderstanding.

For what it’s worth, I think most people struggle to sleep because of stress (from time to time)... I know I do!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
@Nicky Borrill

From the evening standard:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has hinted that more face mask rules will be introduced "in chunks" as a row erupts over the latest measures.

And from yahoo news, the latest measures coming into force in Blackburn, after a spike in coronavirus cases:

New emergency measures have been announced for residents in Blackburn and Darwen to prevent a coronavirus local lockdown.

The Lancashire council said only two people can visit another person at home and face coverings should be worn in public with immediate effect.

It has also urged anyone to get tested for COVID-19 - even if they have no symptoms.

James F

Hyper Poster
I have been working through retail throughout this lockdown and yeah this should of been done sooner rather than later. A colleague at my work has had to leave because her husband has died from Covid-19. The only thing I think will be a challenge for face masks is putting out the delivery as it can be physically draining as is and having you're breathing compromised doesn't help matters. If I have leant anything it's how random this virus can be, I know people who have barley left the house who have got it, yet I have been working on a till throughout and have yet to have it, not that I take that for granted, I still wash my hands obsessively and keep 2m where possible.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Some more positive news... Signs that the small increase in new cases was just a small blip, similar to those seen after other measures were lifted, are starting to appear... Today figures are considerably lower than the same day last week :)

Hope this continues and we can continue to manage outbreaks locally, masks will help :)

Stay Alert Everyone :)

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Portaventura felt well handled today. Masks mandatory at all times which people were compliant with, I found my mask slid down to my neck on the faster coasters. Hand gel was at the start of each queue, before boarding and at ride exits as well as dotted around the place. Bathrooms have been altered to have a one way in and out system with a screen at the entrance saying if it was empty enough to come in. Unfortunately this re-jig meant the water fountains weren't there, bit frustrating to have to pay 2€ for a bottle whenever I was thirsty.

In terms of rides every row was loaded but one group per row. Oddly this also applied to Baco so if there were two groups of 2 they would be in separate rows rather than one group per wing. I didn't notice any ride stoppages for cleaning. Disposable gloves were given to you before the shooting dark ride and in the shops.

Overall a decent day, apart from Baco first thing no queues were over 20 minutes and Shambhala was walk on with two trains for most of the day until they took a train off in the evening. I hadn't been to Ferrari Land before so +2 acquired and I also had a brake run evac on Shammy B, top day all round.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well, parks have been waaaay out of thoughts this year, but now I plan to go again....
What HAS it been like?
Specifically, crowds and ops. Like, has it been less crowded than would be? Are ops slower/less capacity and if so does this negate the lesser crowds? Or are they still jammed?

How well a job has generally been done w ya know, the cleanliness and TRYING to keep distance (I do understand its not so easy at a park and we go at a risk).
No I got no care about masks and etc glad to wear it honestly so thats all fine