What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

JammyH

Hyper Poster
PLOT TWIST; In an absurd turn of events - on the day that the parks had the green light to open here - the government has announced some new guidelines, that basically says that the parks can't operate any of their "thrill"-rides, as the infection-risk is higher on these with people screaming.
The rides are, however allowed to run, if there are some sort of shield between guests (not exactly feasible is it?) or if they load the different rides in groups that came to the park together (e.g. families). - For instance, if you visited with your two friends, you'd basically have Piraten to yourself for a ride.
But this would obviously reduce the capacity to the point where it might not even make sense for the parks to open at all.

While it hasn't been specified exactly what rides can open and which can't, it basically seems like all the bigger roller coasters and rides (the main draw for the parks) will have to stay closed. What about people who scream on kiddie rides? - There are so many things wrong with this decision and the details are so vague.

How many guests would wanna pay a visit to a park under these circumstances?

This is a MAJOR blow to the theme parks here and naturally they are not happy with this. They've spent the last two weeks preparing with guidelines in mind, which have now been completely changed...
The parks have made their frustration clear and hopefully the government will look at this again and revise these ridiculous guidelines.

Why don’t they just make people wear masks on the rides like in germany? Then there’s a shield between people on the rides...

JammyH

Hyper Poster
@JammyH, that is a very good question. It hasn't really been brought up in my country yet, but it might be on the table now.
I guess it would be the most sensible way forward, as the new government rules you have outlined are beyond ridiculous, and it’s extremely unfair on the parks to no longer be able to open after they’ve spent all this time planning and preparing for reopening...

Hopefully some sort of compromise can be found.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Alton Towers confirm more details on the measures they’re taking.

It’s good to see staff will be supplied with PPE. Respectful decision from merlin. Have had an issue with walibi holland where guests and staff are coming in close contact and staff not being supplied with adequate PPE is a bit disconcerting.

Attachments

• E1335519-08F5-4A8A-A516-881AD778F25E.jpeg
    E1335519-08F5-4A8A-A516-881AD778F25E.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 21

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It’s good to see staff will be supplied with PPE. Respectful decision from merlin. Have had an issue with walibi holland where guests and staff are coming in close contact and staff not being supplied with adequate PPE is a bit disconcerting.

All businesses in the UK will be required by law to provide PPE to staff where social distancing cannot be guaranteed. It’s my understanding that this forms a core part of the ‘COVID Secure’ guidelines that businesses, like ours, will need to conform to. I believe we’re even going to be made to confirm / verify our conformity in some way.

As a pub we cannot guarantee distancing between staff, some of our areas, such as the kitchen are not even 2 metres wide. So we will be supplying all staff with PPE, Temperature checks daily, and periodic testing once the reliable rapid testing kits recently approved become commercially available (expected soon)

On top of this, and following our risk assessments, our entire action plan (in terms of staff protection) is centred around keeping staff away from customers... Creating our own ‘bubble’ within the workplace. Booked tables only, no standing, remote ordering and payment through an app, orders delivered to contact free collection points dotted around the building and gardens... Are just some of the measures we’re taking to ensure this... We’re trying to design an environment where staff do not have to come within a few metres of customers at any point in time. Without impacting on the customer experience too much (in fact, improving it in some areas, customers now only ever need to leave their table to collect their order!)

In terms of protecting customers, they are what you’d expect, reduced capacity, hand hygiene points, no contact with staff or other groups, increased cleaning, indoors expected to open weeks / months after outdoor areas (possibly) 1 out 1 in toilets... Yadda yadda yadda... Everything you’d expect.

Sorry, I went slightly off topic there, but thought some might find it interesting to see where other areas of the hospitality sector are heading

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Sorry, I went slightly off topic there, but thought some might find it interesting to see where other areas of the hospitality sector are heading

Thanks for the clarification. The measures you are taking for your business sound very well-thought out and professional, and is very interesting for me to hear about what other industries are doing to move forward (not just the parks!). I hope you are able to open safely as soon as possible.

Fantasy Island have released their measures on facebook and are opening the outdoor market 3rd June and then the rides when permitted after that. There was no mention of PPE for staff on their document so I am interested to see what happens.

Interestingly, when the parks open, the first parks I will be visiting will actually be the ones that I think have the best measures/precautions in place. Merlin do seem to be setting a very good example so far as a business, whereas I am normally sceptical of their business model as it focusses a lot on profits and shares and not putting as much of the money back into park maintenance and investment.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thanks for the clarification. The measures you are taking for your business sound very well-thought out and professional, and is very interesting for me to hear about what other industries are doing to move forward (not just the parks!). I hope you are able to open safely as soon as possible.

Fantasy Island have released their measures on facebook and are opening the outdoor market 3rd June and then the rides when permitted after that. There was no mention of PPE for staff on their document so I am interested to see what happens.

Interestingly, when the parks open, the first parks I will be visiting will actually be the ones that I think have the best measures/precautions in place. Merlin do seem to be setting a very good example so far as a business, whereas I am normally sceptical of their business model as it focusses a lot on profits and shares and not putting as much of the money back into park maintenance and investment.

The mask thing is a bit sketchy at the moment. Full guidance for our industry during the final step of unlock has yet to be released, only guidance on businesses currently operating as takeaways etc. So we’re going from the wording on the general best practices, the actual wording on the mask thing there is along the lines of “where social distancing is not possible, face coverings should be worn” (as well as recommendations on back to back working, and a whole other bunch of useless impractical rubbish ?) We’ve interpreted that as meaning we should provide face coverings... Perhaps they are convinced that they can distance at Fantasy Island, or comply with some of the other alternative measures ??‍♂️

There seems to be an understanding in government of the unique position that restaurants and pubs are in. And that many of the measures applied to other shops and businesses will not be possible or practical, which is why we’re high risk and being left until last. It’s expected that by the stage in which pubs are allowed to open fully, including indoor drinking only establishments, distancing measures could be more relaxed. But believe me, we’re going to try our best, legislation or not, our customers and staff need to feel safe, or we’re done for.

As for parks, I took a conscious decision this morning (while discussing LWV) to regularly visit parks I think may struggle most... I dislike Drayton and LWV... Not overly keen on Flamingo either, but prefer it to the other 2... However I feel these parks could struggle, and I don’t want to lose any more UK parks, so I will try and visit as often as possible this year.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Re PPE at work places.
My local Starbucks opened last week.
(I’m happy happy) (and they still remember my drink choice ?)
They only running drive through at min. But noticed the 3 staff there , working behind the counter had no PPE.
Perspex screen at collection point window.
?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
But noticed the 3 staff there , working behind the counter had no PPE.
Perspex screen at collection point window.
?
Similarly staff working at supermarkets (Tesco’s in particular), hotel chocolat cafes etc have no PPE and the staff aren’t social distancing between each other. I don’t get how employers are happy to put their staff at risk for the sake of making profits. A lot of these companies claim they are offering the staff PPE if they want it, for example at Tesco’s, but I haven’t seen any members of staff wearing any so I’m not sure I believe what they are saying.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Similarly staff working at supermarkets (Tesco’s in particular), hotel chocolat cafes etc have no PPE and the staff aren’t social distancing between each other. I don’t get how employers are happy to put their staff at risk for the sake of making profits. A lot of these companies claim they are offering the staff PPE if they want it, for example at Tesco’s, but I haven’t seen any members of staff wearing any so I’m not sure I believe what they are saying.

I don’t get it either, the guidelines are clear, and we won’t be taking any risks...

I was thinking about fanny island market opening... That place is hell on earth at the best of times, no way the usual clientele there are going to be following any social distancing... A place best avoided I think.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Does anyone know if we are allowed into Germany? I read in the guardian yesterday that they have dropped their quarantine for the EU including the UK but wanted to know if anyone had anymore clarification on their rules.

And netherlands too. o_O

Alv

Roller Poster
I had the chance to visit Walibi Holland today and see first hand the measures introduced.

The park was extremely empty, with very few people walking around, although there was little to do while waiting in the virtual queue. The virtual queue worked quite well, with a timer telling you how much longer you had to wait before your 30 minute slot. Walk-on rides allowed you to check in immediately and gave you 15 minutes to join the physical queue. The physical queues had markings on the ground to separate groups, and were a maximum of 30 minutes long.

A few areas around the park and some queues had fences with plastic to separate the people at closer distance, making the entrance building rather claustrophobic. All narrow (less than 3m wide) paths and bridges had one way markings on the floor. Curiously enough, the queue for Haunted Holidays (a scare attraction during Fright Nights) had marking on the floor!

The ride’s capacities were atrocious, as expected. They were leaving empty rows between groups (and empty rafts in between at El Rio Grande), staff would then ask you to push and pull your restraints while they watched a row at a time and asked you to stay seated after the ride. After the ride, people had to stay seated and were asked to leave a row at a time. The trains were then disinfected.

It was a rather pleasant day, and good to see the park running rather efficiently despite the situation. There were one or two measures that I felt were rather strange, such as the empty rafts at El Rio Grande, or cleaning the back rests on Untamed, but overall everything was very logical and organised.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Does anyone know if we are allowed into Germany? I read in the guardian yesterday that they have dropped their quarantine for the EU including the UK but wanted to know if anyone had anymore clarification on their rules.

And netherlands too. o_O

It is as clear as mud with regards to The Netherlands to me.

I get the impression the 14 day quarantine thing is still in place, especially when flying as all UK airports are still on the list of high infection areas.

But there is a mention of 14th of May on that page, but unclear what that refers to exactly. Probably more Dutch travellers.

Whether you would actually get stopped, asked to fill out a form when travelling with the direct ferries between UK and Netherlands (travel method I have often used) I am not sure. Considering how chilled out that travel method usually is compared to flying (always so extremely stressful) I'd be surprised. But perhaps there is indeed a whole set of measures in place (only for car & foot passengers, not truckers of course).

I'm probably going to forget all about international travel for now. I had my hopes up things would move faster than they currently are and I could go to Holland the week of 8th of June but I don't think that is possible.

I'm getting quite depressed to be honest.

Rant:
I'd like to see a massive investment in improving people's health in the UK as I think this was one of the reasons we got it so bad (not the only reason, but it has definitely played a part). Ditch HS2 and use that money to build 10,000 public swimming pools (£10 million each). Currently we have 3,170. That means about 1 for every 15 towns. We have 26.000 fast food outlets in comparison. 1 in 5 adults cannot swim. 1 in 3 don't think they can complete a 25m lap. Swimming interest has declined 20% over the last 10 years. Shocking to hear that.
The number of available public pools seem like a low figure to me and the 3 pools that are available to me (each over a 7 mile drive to me) have very restrictive time tables, certain evenings you can't go at all and other evenings it's 9-10pm only on a Friday or so. Some evenings when I have been I couldn't even park at the leisure centre I tried to visit and had to go home. Or I guess I could pay Duncan Bannatyne or Richard Branson £75 per month ish (with a minimum 12 month commitment) just to go swimming I guess. Why are multi millionaires at the top of something so vital to our health now? What are we doing here?
Honestly I think more PUBLIC leisure centres closer to people's proximity would help the NHS in the long run if we cared enough.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
We can visit Holland, from the Dutch perspective. You just have to complete a fit to travel form... But you’ll be breaking the law in the UK... We’re still only permitted to drive / travel for exercise, shopping, medical reasons or to take your wife to Barnard Castle for her birthday an eye test.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
We can visit Holland, from the Dutch perspective. You just have to complete a fit to travel form... But you’ll be breaking the law in the UK... We’re still only permitted to drive / travel for exercise, shopping, medical reasons or to take your wife to Barnard Castle for her birthday an eye test.

I mean after this Dominic Cummings scandal to be honest I don’t think anyone has any interest in sticking to the gov’s rules anymore. Obviously I will continue to stick to social distancing to protect myself and others, but I’m fed up of them dictating what we can and can’t do and then doing whatever they want themselves.

I didn’t realise it was breaking the UK law to leave the country, I knew it was “strongly advised” against though. I read this quote on BBC news which implies that people were allowed to take holidays as long as the quarantine themselves when they get back, but I didn’t know we have to wait to be allowed to leave...

“But under the UK's new policy, any tourists returning home after taking holidays in Spain and most other foreign destinations would have to spend two weeks in self-isolation”.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I mean after this Dominic Cummings scandal to be honest I don’t think anyone has any interest in sticking to the gov’s rules anymore. Obviously I will continue to stick to social distancing to protect myself and others, but I’m fed up of them dictating what we can and can’t do and then doing whatever they want themselves.

I didn’t realise it was breaking the UK law to leave the country, I knew it was “strongly advised” against though. I read this quote on BBC news which implies that people were allowed to take holidays as long as the quarantine themselves when they get back, but I didn’t know we have to wait to be allowed to leave...

“But under the UK's new policy, any tourists returning home after taking holidays in Spain and most other foreign destinations would have to spend two weeks in self-isolation”.
It’s a technicality really... It’s still currently against the law to leave home for any reason other than the permitted reasons, recently relaxed to include more reasons... So not directly illegal to travel abroad, but illegal to leave home for none approved reasons. But honestly, who’s policing this, because the police have given up and I don’t blame them!

I think that quote you read makes the assumption that by the time we travel abroad, our quarantine will be in place (June 8th) and lockdown will be relaxed further...

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I think that quote you read makes the assumption that by the time we travel abroad, our quarantine will be in place (June 8th) and lockdown will be relaxed further...

Apparently Matt Hancock has said that holidays will be possible in July... so it doesn’t seem like the quarantine is going to be held for very long. Seems really pointless having it in the first place to be honest.

In terms of places we can go... Netherlands and Germany have dropped all quarantine measures to EU citizens.

Italy reopens to tourists 3rd June.
Spain reopens to tourists 1st July
Iceland reopens 15th June (although no theme parks there-but the landscape is like one).
More countries like Poland are expected to reopen from 15 june too.

So it looks pretty likely we can start travelling soon... but I don’t really want to be breaking the law by leaving the country, but like many of us on here I’m keen to get to the parks ASAP! Hopefully the rules are changed in that we can go away as long as we agree to the quarantine or something along those lines when we get back, and then the quarantine will probably be scrapped after a few weeks anyway.