What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
if the legislation is there to fine people.
you come into the country knowing the law
you then break the law

you dont really have a leg to stand on

the only option would be to try and take a case to the court of human rights and argue the the legislation brought in by the government broke human rights law

very expensive,
just pay the fine
or dont brake the law
or dont get caught ?
Well most of it seems to be a formality to be fair, as one only needs to provide an address to border forces and say they will stay there for 14 days by the sound of it.

Of course as Nicky points out, this does mean squashing of tourism for the time being. Ie it would put many people off from leaving the country and definitely no one will enter the UK for a short break.

As the FCO has not (yet) changed travel advice. IF it does from June 1st say, I could potentially leave the UK I guess as I work from home. But it definitely seems to be more of a language of discouragement than anything else.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
if the legislation is there to fine people.
you come into the country knowing the law
you then break the law

you dont really have a leg to stand on

the only option would be to try and take a case to the court of human rights and argue the the legislation brought in by the government broke human rights law

very expensive,
just pay the fine
or dont brake the law
or dont get caught ?
To be fair, it happens all of the time in all areas of law. Whenever a fine is issued without a means statement being sought, it is at risk of being quashed. TV licenses, council tax, speeding fines are all issued without the debtor present, then quashed in their hundreds daily when the debtor is returned to court for none payment and completes a statement of means form.

On another subject, this is exactly why nobody should read the mirror...

BC02F1BE-5141-4F0B-AFC4-A2D7182E7C6E.jpeg

Show me one study, one government body or even one reputable scientist who has said that it “doesn’t necessarily provoke a strong immune response” All that has ever been suggested was that it was too early to be sure. It is now all but confirmed to provoke an immune response. (this article is from today) I am sick to death of our media scaremongering to make money!!!

People read this sh** and actually believe it... We’re all talking about how dangerous fake news on social media is, this, IMO, is far worse, and seriously needs addressing.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
? MSN are just laughable, its just irates me that people still believe they are being told the truth

this may have been mentioned earlier in this topic, sorry if its old ground

just seen this study that suggests T lymphocytes are our main defence. There could be significant cross-immunity from 'common cold' coronaviruses which provide protection.

this may be why the infection rate cure is dropping all over the world.

theme parks with no social distancing and back to old normal is on the horizon, I'm going to keep believing as its keeping me happy

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I'm not a law expert but when one does get fined is that person not able to get out of paying this by simply quoting articles 13 and 30 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?:

When I created this topic, I did not intend for it to become a discussion of how people can break the law. If you live in the UK, the government is in charge and whether you like it or not, please respect the changes that they implement and put the safety of others before your own personal priorities. If you break the law, you should have to pay the fine. Similarly, if you break the law at this current moment in time, the police are entitled to fine you for breaking the lockdown restrictions. We are lucky that we have it easier than in other countries, where if you break the rules, you could face much larger fines or even get arrested.

I don't want to get into a political discussion of whether the 2 weeks quarantine is the right thing to do. If the quarantine is brought in then we all need to respect that. The world isn't exactly a safe place to travel freely about right now, and travelling should only be done when taking the proper precautions.

theme parks with no social distancing and back to old normal is on the horizon, I'm going to keep believing as its keeping me happy

I definitely think at some point theme parks will be able to go back to normal with no spacing in queue lines and on rides and things like shows will be able to run again. Even if that is safe to do so in the near future, we have to remember that it may not be socially acceptable to do so. Theme parks implementing the measures they are is a good way of reassuring guests that they can have a safe day out. Even if it was technically safe to revert these measures, the parks could get themselves into a lot of negative press if they do it too soon, and the public may no longer view the parks as a "safe" place to visit.

I also wonder whether this pandemic will have any shift to the way we live our lives in general. It could become much more common practice for people to work from home and to choose to gather in outdoor spaces than indoor spaces. With that in mind, I wonder whether theme park attractions of the future will be designed so they could be adapted to any future social distancing requirements. If anything like this breaks out again in the near future, it would be extremely useful for businesses to be able to quickly adapt so they can safely keep operating whilst an illness is going around.

In my opinion this puts jeopardy on things like horror mazes, as the contact with the actors is extremely close and sometimes fully hands on, who knows when it will be safe or socially acceptable to operate an attraction like that again.

I really hope theme parks will be able to go back to normal soon, but I think even getting the parks open with the current restrictions is the first step forward before we jump ahead of ourselves.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
? MSN are just laughable, its just irates me that people still believe they are being told the truth

this may have been mentioned earlier in this topic, sorry if its old ground

just seen this study that suggests T lymphocytes are our main defence. There could be significant cross-immunity from 'common cold' coronaviruses which provide protection.

this may be why the infection rate cure is dropping all over the world.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3
That’s really interesting, had not seen that. So the suggestion is that not everyone is fully susceptible to the virus in the first place, due to cross immunity with other coronavirus antibodies? Forgive me, I haven’t read the full study yet, just going off your summary.

IF I’ve understood that right, it also means that the percentages of population with covid specific antibodies required for herd immunity will be lower, due to protection already present from other coronaviruses. Hence, as you say, curves dropping all over, even in countries with less restrictive measures in place. It could also explain why some countries have faired much better, possibly more immunity to other coronaviruses? Particularly in Asia...

I’m guessing (without reading the full study) at this stage it’s more theory than fact, but it will be interesting to see how this theory unfolds.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
When I created this topic, I did not intend for it to become a discussion of how people can break the law. If you live in the UK, the government is in charge and whether you like it or not, please respect the changes that they implement and put the safety of others before your own personal priorities. If you break the law, you should have to pay the fine. Similarly, if you break the law at this current moment in time, the police are entitled to fine you for breaking the lockdown restrictions. We are lucky that we have it easier than in other countries, where if you break the rules, you could face much larger fines or even get arrested.

I don't want to get into a political discussion of whether the 2 weeks quarantine is the right thing to do. If the quarantine is brought in then we all need to respect that. The world isn't exactly a safe place to travel freely about right now, and travelling should only be done when taking the proper precautions.

I definitely think at some point theme parks will be able to go back to normal with no spacing in queue lines and on rides and things like shows will be able to run again. Even if that is safe to do so in the near future, we have to remember that it may not be socially acceptable to do so. Theme parks implementing the measures they are is a good way of reassuring guests that they can have a safe day out. Even if it was technically safe to revert these measures, the parks could get themselves into a lot of negative press if they do it too soon, and the public may no longer view the parks as a "safe" place to visit.

I also wonder whether this pandemic will have any shift to the way we live our lives in general. It could become much more common practice for people to work from home and to choose to gather in outdoor spaces than indoor spaces. With that in mind, I wonder whether theme park attractions of the future will be designed so they could be adapted to any future social distancing requirements. If anything like this breaks out again in the near future, it would be extremely useful for businesses to be able to quickly adapt so they can safely keep operating whilst an illness is going around.

In my opinion this puts jeopardy on things like horror mazes, as the contact with the actors is extremely close and sometimes fully hands on, who knows when it will be safe or socially acceptable to operate an attraction like that again.

I really hope theme parks will be able to go back to normal soon, but I think even getting the parks open with the current restrictions is the first step forward before we jump ahead of ourselves.
With the greatest of respect Jammy, because I know you’re a great guy with the right motives. But regardless of who created the topic, this is a discussion board, and topics take on their own lives, within a defined set of rules. This topic has become the general CV-19 discussion topic, that much was accepted and even highlighted by admins earlier in the thread.

The quarantine has a direct impact on the ability of members here to participate in our hobby, and so is more relevant to the thread than many other things posted here.

Also I don’t think anybody was condoning ‘breaking the law’ anyway. Simply questioning the legality and enforceability of the law in the first place.

Like I said, I know your motives are good, and the principle of what you’re saying in respect to breaking the law is good, but the subject is valid and relevant enough to be discussed here IMO

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
In my opinion this puts jeopardy on things like horror mazes, as the contact with the actors is extremely close and sometimes fully hands on, who knows when it will be safe or socially acceptable to operate an attraction like that again

this virus has killed off my acting career, cant even imagine working in a social distance scare maze . half the fun is being up close and personal with the victims ?

I guess is boils down to we can all live in a safe bubble, or as before, accept the world is full of stuff out there trying to kill us, use our own judgment, accept and carry on.

Last season I became so sick from working my attraction, all those infected people coming through, I knew I would its a thing, unavoidable, but I accepted it and carried on. other option would have been to sit at home wrapped in cotton wool

Professor

No, you created this topic asking people for their opinion on the matter how coronavirus will impact theme parks in 2020.
I never suggested one should break any law. That doesn't mean that laws or advice that is put in place that can have an effect on travel to theme parks cannot be questioned.

As the FCO travel advice to any country outside of the UK (also government guidelines don't even allow travel to Scotland from England etc currently) is currently still negative you actually have to wonder why the quarantine law is coming into place right now, is it only for tourists from abroad (what Nicky hinted at with the reaction to the right wing press), British citizens that have not come back home yet (they should have according to FCO advice) OR indeed FCO might allow foreign travel for British citizens soon but with that quarantine caveat in place.

We also heard that Easyjet will be starting up foreign travel from mid June, so surely there is some discussion between airlines and FCO.

For me personally the quarantine caveat when travelling to say Germany or The Netherlands for a theme park before our own re-open could be acceptable and I wouldn't be breaking any law as I would stay at home for the 14 days required.

How that law is policed or a potential fine that would be issued when you break it can be legal, yes I do find interesting but that doesn't mean I would be breaking the law or actively be looking to get that fine at all. Surely you could ignore discussion on this matter if it bothers you?

I am a theme park visitor like 100% of the other members on this forum, not a criminal. I do not want trouble or seek to cause it.

If the FCO travel advice stays negative I ain't going nowhere in June regardless.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Heide-Park reopens 25th May. Obviously all visitors must buy a day-dated ticket online beforehand. Those who already have tickets need to reserve their visit date, as do seasonpass holders, online at a cost of €1.

Masks are required in all attractions, waiting areas & indoor areas.

Baby switch, fast pass and photo sales will not be offered until further notice.

The following attractions are closed until further notice: Dampfkarrusell, La Ola, Peppa's Haus, Panorama Turm, Drachengrotte, Ghostbusters 5D, Wüstenflitzer.

And Colossos will not be available at the start of the season as during testing the gearbox was damaged. The necessary spare parts are being delivered and they hope to open it as soon as possible.

Only take away food will be offered for now.

https://www.heide-park.de/planen/infos/aktuelle-besucherinformationen-corona/

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
this is the first Merlin park to open, I think, paves the way to what we can expect in the UK parks

"Masks are required, dont have one we can sell you one" ? ? Merlin upsell

they dont say what kind of mask tho, is any face covering ok? if the deem it no to be will they force you to buy a merlin branded mask
?

Professor

I think it's interesting to note that the likes of Liseberg still doesn't have a date for re-opening, even whilst Sweden has a softer approach to lockdown than we have seen elsewhere.

Perhaps that approach will actually drag things out longer?

Also the distinction at the moment appears to be:
Theme parks in The Netherlands, Poland and Germany are pretty much all re-opening and observing anti Covid 19 measures but in Germany and Poland it seems mostly wearing a mask is required, not in The Netherlands.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^They do, as with all parks, it has to be a proper mask. Scarves or bandanas are not allowed as always on rides given they are loose articles.

Matt N

CF Legend

I think parks will eventually go back to a reasonable degree of normal. The only things I can see potentially being here to stay in the long term are non-invasive temperature checks, in a similar vein to how bag checks became commonplace after 9/11, and potentially some of the emphasis on pre-booking at a push, although parks would likely have moved towards pre-booking gradually anyway, what with the technological revolution that’s occurred over the last few years and is still occurring. I do not see things like standing 2m apart in queues and being spaced out on rides lasting beyond whenever it has to.

It’s worth remembering that social distancing of this style was applied for the third wave of Spanish flu. It did not stay beyond when it was needed.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
^They do, as with all parks, it has to be a proper mask. Scarves or bandanas are not allowed as always on rides given they are loose articles.
I would still feel a bit weary sat behind someone on Stealth and hope the people sat in front facemasks stay in place ?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Temperature checks are reassuring to customers, but not much actual use.
Many people have high temperatures but no virus infection.
Especially if they have long thick hair due to a lack of hairdressers!
Many people with the infection do not have a high temperature.
One of many tools to use, but not much use in itself.

Professor

Watched a vlog of a dude at the Efteling.
It honestly doesn't look too bad the measures in place but most coasters did have an hour's wait due to extreme low capacity due to trying to observe social distancing.

Matt N

CF Legend
I know it might sound shallow, but I’m still of the mindset that I don’t think these measures would bother me. I intend to go to Alton Towers once it reopens, and I think I will still have a fantastic day.

Still, each to their own, I suppose!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I honestly couldn’t care less if I have to queue for 3 hours, eat on the lawn, wear a mask, have my temperature taken or even pass a rapid test to enter... I’ll still make the most of it...

I cannot wait for the moment I step through a theme park turnstile... Any theme park turnstile, anywhere... Because that will finally mean that things are on their way to getting back to normal.

Matt N

CF Legend
I honestly couldn’t care less if I have to queue for 3 hours, eat on the lawn, wear a mask, have my temperature taken or even pass a rapid test to enter... I’ll still make the most of it...

I cannot wait for the moment I step through a theme park turnstile... Any theme park turnstile, anywhere... Because that will finally mean that things are on their way to getting back to normal.
It would seem you and I have very similar mindsets! Just being at a park would be enough for me, in all honesty!

On a positive note, parks in the Florida scene are now beginning to express their reopening intentions. SeaWorld has stated that it is hoping for a late June reopening of its properties, alongside the already announced 5th June opening for Universal, and some smaller attractions, including Gatorland and Fun Spot America, will open again from this weekend with enhanced cleaning procedures!

If you want more info, read here: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ng-plans-5-21-9-smaller-local-parks-approved/

Matt N

CF Legend
Temperature checks are reassuring to customers, but not much actual use.
Many people have high temperatures but no virus infection.
Especially if they have long thick hair due to a lack of hairdressers!
Many people with the infection do not have a high temperature.
One of many tools to use, but not much use in itself.
The way I’ve heard it justified is as a form of “medical theatre”, if you like, sort of how 9/11 introduced “security theatre” in the form of bag checks.
EDIT: Sorry for double posting!