What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
if only they had an airtime coaster... And no, Joris is not the answer, more airtime in Wickerman!

Thanks for clearing that up, so they seem to have progressed purely in the hope that it reacts differently in Humans? Is that likely? Is it common, or even heard of?
Considering DNA of chimps is about 99% the same probably not.

Matt N

CF Legend
They may also be banking on it being effective as a treatment, as it prevented severe symptoms in all of the macaques.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how the human trials go. You never know how it could work in humans.

I could have also sworn that I read that all the macaques produced an immune response (or antibodies, at least) within 28 days, so they may be progressing on those grounds.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
They may also be banking on it being effective as a treatment, as it prevented severe symptoms in all of the macaques.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how the human trials go. You never know how it could work in humans.

I could have also sworn that I read that all the macaques produced an immune response (or antibodies, at least) within 28 days, so they may be progressing on those grounds.
Not good enough I’m afraid Matt, the only reason vaccines work, is because they can work with as little as 60% take up (in the case of covid) Many anti vaxers would object to getting the jab.

If this only eases the symptoms, then it will do nothing positive for the R0, and could infact increase the R0 and cause it to spread more quickly, as people may not notice the symptoms.

The ONLY way for this one to work, if this turns out to be the case, is to vaccinate every single person in the country, they simply would not all consent.

Matt N

CF Legend
Not good enough I’m afraid Matt, the only reason vaccines work, is because they can work with as little as 60% take up (in the case of covid) Many anti vaxers would object to getting the jab.

If this only eases the symptoms, then it will do nothing for the R0, and could infact increase the R0 and cause it to spread more quickly, as people may not notice the symptoms.

The ONLY way for this one to work, if this turns out to be the case, is to vaccinate every single person in the country, they simply would not all consent.
Ah; that would cause issues if the response is similar in humans. However, there’s still a chance that humans could respond differently; we don’t know until the early efficacy results come out next month.

Even if it fails human trials, however, the UK government is also putting money towards an Imperial College London vaccine, which apparently uses a similar RNA-based approach to Moderna’s promising vaccine. I think they may well put more money into this one if the Oxford one fails (that’s still an if, however).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Now you're just being silly. I'm not saying it's an airtime machine but there's more airtime on Joris' first drop than the whole of Wicker Man... :D
Noooooooooooo... Genuinely prefer Wicker Man’s second drop... And it’s got way more air time too.

Having said that I’ve ridden Wicker Man probably well over 200 times across more than 50 visits... And quickly learnt to ride it in the back, and how to get around batching achieve that seat ;) Ridden Jozza 3 times in just 1 visit... Can’t remember whereabouts in the train... Bad day maybe?

Matt N

CF Legend
If Walibi Holland, which arguably looks like the Netherlands’ airtime capital, applies a similar policy, then fun will definitely be had for enthusiasts who go there!

Besides, it’s nice to see that there could be some upsides to visiting a socially distanced park! I still maintain that the restrictions wouldn’t bother me, however, and I intend to visit Alton Towers as soon as I possibly can!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
50 visits in two years? ? You must be incredibly patient - I couldn't hack that many trips to Alton in its current state!
That was a conservative estimate... There’s been weeks where I’ve gone 4 times ?

I have a unique advantage of being a very short drive away, and most of my work being 6pm onwards. Believe me, if I could mix that up with any other half decent parks and be back in time to prepare for work I would!!! That being said, it’s still the best park in the UK. Judging it against other parks, not it’s own former glory days.

Believe me, there’s other locals there more than me, members here too I think ;) although they generally rock up late afternoon, presumably after work?

Matt N

CF Legend
This could be interesting, and very good for the reopening of business; Boris Johnson has promised that a track and trace system with the capacity to trace the contacts of up to 10,000 new cases per day will be ready from 1st June onwards in the U.K.: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52741331

This could be very promising, and if it works well, it could result in some distancing restrictions becoming less strict!

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Believe me, there’s other locals there more than me, members here too I think ;) although they generally rock up late afternoon, presumably after work?
I'm local, only live about 25 mins away but I was pretty bored of the place after 5 or 6 visits last year. Didn't renew my season pass this year (handily as it happens!)

One of Boris's cronies already started the backtracking on the promise about that track and trace app as soon as PMQs was over today so I wouldn't put much faith in that being available in 2 weeks. Also I don't actually see how it helps that much - once you have the virus and start transmitting it to other people, how does knowing who those people are help when it may be 2 weeks later before symptoms are shown? ?‍♂️

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm local, only live about 25 mins away but I was pretty bored of the place after 5 or 6 visits last year. Didn't renew my season pass this year (handily as it happens!)

One of Boris's cronies already started the backtracking on the promise about that track and trace apps as soon as PMQs was over today so I wouldn't put much faith in that being available in 2 weeks. Also I don't actually see how it helps that much - once you have the virus and start transmitting it to other people, how does knowing who those people are help when it may be 2 weeks later before symptoms are shown? ?‍♂️

Whereabouts do you live if you don’t mind me asking (town not address, don’t worry ??)

The track and trace has clearly had issues, and too afraid to just out, admit it and say they’re fixing it, they’re quietly buying time to fix it. That’s the problem when a country’s media is such a massive pack of hounds, and the public hang on every word they say...

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Sorry to take this off topic but how exactly do you actually manage to get in the back of Wicker Man? I've ridden it like 5-6 times and every time I get told to sit near the front or in the middle. Even during an ERT/ERS the guy was there telling me where to sit.

Joris in my opinion is much better than Wicker Man. Wicker Man doesn't seem tall enough to get quite the right speed, the flat turn is boring and it is just a little too short.

But Troy beats these both hands down anyway.

Wicker Man's theming, music and preshow make up for a lot to be fair.

Back on topic:
This lockdown has made me appreciate the parks that are relatively close to me a lot more so I was considering a Merlin pass or just individual season passes for Towers and Thorpe when all this hysteria ends. Both are about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs away from me.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Sorry to take this off topic but how exactly do you actually manage to get in the back of Wicker Man? I've ridden it like 5-6 times and every time I get told to sit near the front or in the middle. Even during an ERT/ERS the guy was there telling me where to sit.

Joris in my opinion is much better than Wicker Man. Wicker Man doesn't seem tall enough to get quite the right speed, the flat turn is boring and it is just a little too short.

Back on topic:
This lockdown has made me appreciate the parks that are relatively close to me a lot more so I was considering a Merlin pass or just individual season passes for Towers and Thorpe when all this hysteria ends. Both are about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs away from me.
off topic reply, for me become friends with the ride hosts ?

back on topic..
I have nothing to contribute ?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Back on topic:

Ahhhahhh Glad you asked... I have 3 methods, depending who is batching... The first and obvious, if you recognise the staff member, ask nicely, won’t always work, but I’d say roughly 75% success with the right staff member (There’s one girl who says no every single time)

2nd if you’ve risked option 1, and spot said ‘evil girl’ batching... Then count people through, create your own little pre batch batch... This is tough, takes practice and nerves... basically wait until he/she’s done a batch, and then count 20 - 22 people past you before you get there. I’ve done it successfully several times and even when it does fail, I either end up second to last row or first... so no biggy.

The easiest and almost full proof method, go with at least 4 people, 6 preferable (I’ll explain why later) and ask before pre show to bypass as you can’t go into the pre show room for some reason, scared kid, loud noises, whatever... I’ve said several times that I’m just sick of the pre show. You’ll be taken around to a small door close to the rear of the train and told to wait just inside. With 6 of you you’ll usually be put on the back few rows :) However I’ve done this alone and in two’s and then they often filter you in elsewhere, especially alone.

This may all seem a bit extreme to get close to the back... But anybody who has ridden the back, and other rows on Wicker Man knows, they’re 2 completely different rides... I cannot think of any other coaster where it makes as much difference. Rows 10 and 11 are acceptable.

Oh and Troy is amazing, rode Troy on the same trip as Joris... Probably another reason why my opinion of Joris is so low.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Mt. Olympus is opening in 3 days, but (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) you must stay onsite in order to visit the theme and water parks. This is the second major U.S. park to announce an opening date since the pandemic closure.