What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
With most theme parks shut with the COVID-19 outbreak, Merlin can claim they're the biggest theme park operator at the moment as Thorpe and Towers opening are next week.

Leaked image from Merlin HQ.
unknown.png

Snoo

The Legend
This could either be good for Merlin or absolutely catastrophic. Many parks in the states are taking the cautious route while other parts of the world are going on as if nothing is going on. Hindsight will always be 20/20 but it's better to be safe then sorry in my opinion.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
This could either be good for Merlin or absolutely catastrophic. Many parks in the states are taking the cautious route while other parts of the world are going on as if nothing is going on. Hindsight will always be 20/20 but it's better to be safe then sorry in my opinion.
Probably going to be really bad for the entire industry in the short term at least.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Merlin, second only to Disney, have money money money so will be fine... or they'll just sell everything take what cash is left and run :oops:

shawnoc

Mega Poster
I’m sure the announcement will come next week as the Uk government are possibly gonna stop mass gathering by next week in England.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I’m sure the announcement will come next week as the Uk government are possibly gonna stop mass gathering by next week in England.
Yes I suspect it will too. In France they have already ordered cinemas, nightclubs, restaurants and cafes to close.
Only a matter of time.

What I do wonder is even if the virus then continues to spread how long before these rules would get relaxed because if they don't it will simply send the entire world into a depression with countless people in the leisure and associated sectors losing their jobs and knock on effects that would have with regards to trade etc. Doubt all this will be upheld beyond the middle / end of April.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Place your bets on how long parks will be closed for...

My gut feeling says most US and European parks will be closed until at least the summer.

.Ac.

Mega Poster
Biggest problem is if you have brought steps in to prevent risk of the virus spreading, you need to proof that the risk of virus spreading has gone before you can lift them steps surely?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Shawn Sanbrooke doesn't seem very concerned by the virus... he is happily standing in cattle-pen queue lines at Legoland for the new coaster. Clearly merlin don't really seem to care much either. If there really are markers to keep people apart they aren't being enforced.

http://instagr.am/p/B9trMQOFMUC/

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Don't see it mentioned so far, but Trump's travel ban has been extended to the UK and Ireland. Good luck on getting over here anytime soon all you Brits.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I can see the parks being closed for perhaps two months at the absolute maximum, probably one month.

The spread of the virus is utterly inevitable. It will be so wide spread that it’ll switch from isolating if you have symptoms to isolate if you’re vulnerable (I.e. old or immunosuppressed).

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmm.... With their parks closed through the end of the month (at least), I read that Disney has decided to send college program students home rather than continue housing them through the shutdown. Disney is marking the students' DCP work as complete, suggesting that they will not be recalled should the shutdown end before the semester finishes. Given that this is about 5% of WDW's workforce and the next group of college program participants is not due until May, it makes me wonder about Disney's plans for April or if they already know the parks will remain closed for longer than announced.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Guessing all german parks will be shut for the beginning of the season then?
I would say by this point its looking increasingly likely so sadly. However Movie Park Germany (27th March), Europa Park, Heide Park (both 28th March) and Phantasialand (4th April) have yet to announce anything.

Although Holiday Park have delayed opening, Skyline Park have postponed until 03.04 and Berlin Legoland Discovery Centre until 19.04.

Rulantica tickets are currently still available to purchase from 28th March onwards.