What's new

How will cedar fair expand their presence in Texas in the future?

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
With them acquiring the new braunfels location and another Schlitterbahn waterpark location in Texas how will the cedar fair chain grow in the lone star state in the coming decades?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The chain will grow by adding new attractions to the waterparks they bought every so often, Essentially as if ownership hadn't changed. I'd be incredibly surprised if they did anything else in Texas, especially a new amusement park.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Yeah, seeing is how they've *never* done a new-build, ever, I'm not sure why anyone would think, suddenly now, and in Texas... it's gonna happen.

I just see new slides every few years and maybe even toning down of attractions at the parks as it is since Cedar Fair is so overly insurance heavy.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah, seeing is how they've *never* done a new-build, ever, I'm not sure why anyone would think, suddenly now, and in Texas... it's gonna happen.

I just see new slides every few years and maybe even toning down of attractions at the parks as it is since Cedar Fair is so overly insurance heavy.

This right here. They will do with those parks what they've done at their other water parks. I don't see park expansion unless they buy one.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
it’s just weird that the second largest state doesn’t have a cedar fair dry park when they have 2 six flags parks in the state and one seaworld park.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
New ground up parks don't really happen anymore, outside of China, Disney, or Universal.

This would be my bet if one did happen.

Schlitterbahn is a cult in Texas. They now own the entire complex. Both parks, golf course, vacation village, hotel, all of it. If you have a resort already, in the fastest growing state in the country, between two of the fastest growing cities in the countries, this would prove to be tempting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
it’s just weird that the second largest state doesn’t have a cedar fair dry park when they have 2 six flags parks in the state and one seaworld park.
Why compete in a state that is the literal head quarters of your competitor when you can capitalize on other markets? In earnest, only a few cities across the US share competitor parks - most typically one parks serves the amusement needs for one (or two or three) major metro areas.

To Cedar Fair’s growth strategy - it’s an acquisition strategy. From the first park Cedar Point purchased (Valleyfair) to it’s Paramount Chain buy; Cedar Fair’s focus historically has been to buy undervalued assets to develop beyond their previous ownership’s ability. With Texas, the play is water parks. Not an indication of wanting to “enter” the Texas market, but just capitalizing on some successful water parks. Until Six Flags considers selling more parks (which they’ve been doing the opposite lately), don’t expect anything outside of Schlitterbahn.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
New ground up parks don't really happen anymore, outside of China, Disney, or Universal.

This would be my bet if one did happen.

Schlitterbahn is a cult in Texas. They now own the entire complex. Both parks, golf course, vacation village, hotel, all of it. If you have a resort already, in the fastest growing state in the country, between two of the fastest growing cities in the countries, this would prove to be tempting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Were we able to confirm this? I know we discussed it right after the news broke but I can't remember if we ever confirmed it or not.

Cedar Fair also purchased that resort in Sandusky and has also been building hotels at a number of their parks. They're likely just trying to add some more stable profit streams by doing this.