What's new

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think its safe to say that a major new coaster for 2020 is a confirmed no?

What explicit evidence is there stating that there won't be a coaster in 2020? I'm playing devil's advocate here - it doesn't seem like there is any activity anywhere on site and I don't believe a coaster is in the works, but that doesn't mean they couldn't build a small family coaster with ground prep starting in September or October. Unless we get a statement from a park official or some other evidence that says "we're not building a coaster," we can't call it confirmed.

bernatc22

Mega Poster
IMO the bar we should set in order to no be disappointed is, at most (and still very unlikely), a raptor. Personally I'm leaning more towards a family coaster or even no coaster at all, but still I'm sure Cedar Point will address what we all so anxiously wait to hear come the end of summer. And even if there is no huge ride to celebrate CP's 150th anniversary, the park has already added more than enough in the past few years, so there's that.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
IMO the bar we should set in order to no be disappointed is, at most (and still very unlikely), a raptor. Personally I'm leaning more towards a family coaster or even no coaster at all, but still I'm sure Cedar Point will address what we all so anxiously wait to hear come the end of summer. And even if there is no huge ride to celebrate CP's 150th anniversary, the park has already added more than enough in the past few years, so there's that.
The park is still talking about bringing back retro food items. Might want to lower that bar a bit further.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cedar Point will be announcing more on 2020 plans today:

What we know thus far (thanks to Cedar Point's 150th Anniversary Webpage)

• A new nighttime celebration will take place along the Main Midway
  • New (and throwback) food items are coming to tempt your taste buds
  • Nostalgic merchandise and souvenirs will give a nod to the park’s historic past
  • A reimagined Town Hall, complete with a more detailed look at Cedar Point history, will be waiting for you
  • A river expedition for the entire family is set to launch into our waters
  • Introduction of $99 Gold Pass with park entry and parking included

I am most excited for the "river expedition" as this could be a return of Paddlewheel Excursions, who's station now sits idle as Dinosaurs Alive! was removed end of last year (used the station for merchandise and access across the river to Adventure Island). While there is a floating bridge in place for guests to get across to Forbidden Frontier, the park is also using the old Shoot the Rapids raised access bridge as well; it would be in the realm of possible to create a river crossing while allowing ship passage underneath. All sheer speculation, but would love to see a "classic" ride return.

More to come over the rest of the season.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
We have more update and detail to Cedar Point's 150th Anniversary planning. TL;DR minor park improvements and a new family boat ride

- Lifetime Ticket Giveaway - Cedar Point will hold a drawing for 150 lifetime Cedar Point passes.

- New Ride - Snake River Expedition - essentially a return of the old Paddlewheel Excursions ride, this will feature a mixture of animatronics and live actors across a western-themed plot. (Probably tied into the Adventure Island plot too)
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 10.14.24 AM.jpg

- Celebrate 150 Spectacular Parade - While CP has done seasonal Halloween parades, this will be a parade that leads into the evening entertainment on-stage in front of Iron Dragon. Biggest flag here - expect major corridors and routes to be crimped in the evening when moving around the front half of the park.
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 10.14.34 AM.jpg

- Bunch of new Food venues - this is the biggest shakeup for the Cedar Point loyal; Cedar Point is redoing a number of Main Midway and Wicked Twister Midway food venues, which have been "staple" facades and spots for many decades. In general, they're keeping and building upon themes, while refreshing food lineups - something they've already done with a few other restaurants around the park.Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 10.14.45 AM.jpg

- Town Hall revamp - this is the one I'm most excited for, gone are the old Americana novelties, and the entire Town Hall will be revamped as a museum of Cedar Point's past. Should have plenty of cool things Cedar Point has held onto through the years.
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 10.14.53 AM.jpg

- Bunch of new Merchandise - and buttons, if you're into that.
- Bands in Residence - your boyband dreams come true.
- Legacy Walk - individuals can buy bricks with memento written as part of a new brickwalk feature. TBD on location. And yup, bought a brick.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I bought a brick as well!
I suspect this will happen as everyone identifies with who bought bricks. :p

giphy.gif

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm going to guess that they're pointing towards some sort of coaster; a lot of people are talking about Cedar Point getting a coaster in 2021. Whatever they have in store, I think it'll be very exciting; Cedar Point's coaster installations never disappoint!

I'm going to guess that they're pointing towards some sort of coaster; a lot of people are talking about Cedar Point getting a coaster in 2021. Whatever they have in store, I think it'll be very exciting; Cedar Point's coaster installations never disappoint!
Yh completely agree with that ?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cedar Point enthusiasts have predicted 47 of the last 5 roller coasters that have been built. ;)

It's markings for utility lines - nothing more, nothing less. They mark this for everything that involves cutting concrete - laying new paths, building new restaurants, rides, etc.

Just don't hold your breathe for that 500 ft. coaster just yet.

Matt N

CF Legend
Cedar Point enthusiasts have predicted 47 of the last 5 roller coasters that have been built. ;)

It's markings for utility lines - nothing more, nothing less. They mark this for everything that involves cutting concrete - laying new paths, building new restaurants, rides, etc.

Just don't hold your breathe for that 500 ft. coaster just yet.
Apparently the markings span a pretty large area, so it could be something big!

TuggemMcNutt

Roller Poster
Somewhat new to the coaster community, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I have always been fascinated by the idea of the "polar coaster", and I'm wondering why it isn't really discussed much as an option for cedar point in the future. It could be a 500+ foot coaster with a drop tower attached, so would it be possible for it to go in the current drop towers footprint? I'm not sure if it would take p too much space or if its well above the monetary range that they are comfortable with. Also I'm putting this out there as if we could ignore the COVID-19 crisis because I've been working from home for way too long and I'm going stir crazy.