What's new

Nagashima Spaland and Suzuka Circuit PTR

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Once Hakugei was announced, I knew I had to try and get back to Nagoya. Work and flight times worked out well enough that I could fly over on Friday afternoon (free flight using air miles) then back on Sunday evening (cheap flight with budget airline).

It’s only been a couple of years since I was last in Nagoya, so I stayed in the same area as last time, around the main train station, and headed out to Nagashima on the Saturday morning. I’d used a train to Kuwana before, followed by a bus, but decided to try the direct bus this time. It’s definitely the way to do it for anyone going from Nagoya in future. It takes slightly longer than the Kuwana route, but there’s not much in it and it takes a bit of faff out of the equation.

Nagashima Spaland

I got there just before opening, with very few people there, though the bus takes you to a smaller entrance as opposed to the main one.

4J1K0PK.jpg

Straight to Hakugei then. People in front of me veered off in another direction – f**k knows why – so I got to the station with around a train’s worth of people in front of me, getting the first train of the day, second to back row.

4ptbbil.jpg

hU0xws1.jpg

fWVSOki.jpg

7aiv1md.jpg

M5T3zhX.jpg

zVVJi3S.jpg

I went straight back around for a second ride, this time waiting 15 minutes, and got a middle seat, which was just as good as the back.

M3WZfAU.jpg

eTEM7KE.jpg

nZyxcd6.jpg

8x89Mk7.jpg

unMo88h.jpg

This thing was easily worth the effort of flying 4 hours to Nagoya. I haven’t tried to keep lists of top coasters for years since it’s a bit unfair to compare stuff from ages ago to more recent stuff, but I can say easily enough that Hakugei is now my favourite coaster.

Even first thing in the day, it was seriously hauling arse around the track, the airtime is immense, the inversions are perfect and it just doesn’t let up at all. Even the prelift stuff is good, with a decent enough drop out of the station to get a bit of airtime on the first small hills.

I haven’t done Steel Vengeance or Lightning Rod, but at the moment, those are the only two that I can see possibly topping it. Perhaps Zadra I guess, but it’s too soon to tell.

By the time I came off the second ride, the queue was up to an hour, so I headed off for other stuff. The operations on it were surprisingly good though (for Japan), without too much faff, probably helped a lot by having the lockers before you hit the station.

The ultra twister here had spited me on two previous visits, and it didn’t look like anything was happening when I got to it. It was open though. It’s just that nobody was there yet, so I got it to myself. Unexpectedly, the ride ops just set it off with only me in it; I thought they’d be more likely to make me sit there and wait for others, but no.

K1ykt1g.jpg

J561WQv.jpg

xq2JtmU.jpg

44WBfgS.jpg

S80TEK9.jpg

That’s that personal vendetta sorted then; just got that bastard Eejanaika to go.

Arashi was the first S&S freefly thing I’d done, doing a couple of others about a year later. The later ones seemed a bit tame in comparison, so I did this one again to check. Yeah, it’s definitely more intense than the others. Horrible things, but this one especially.

RS9CDyj.jpg

Steel Dragon 2000 had an hour-long queue, which I didn’t mind since all cred anxiety was gone. This and Hakugei kept up queues of around an hour all day, Arashi seemed to hover around the 15-20 minute mark, but pretty much everything else was a walk-on, so that was all fab.

oOi2G7T.jpg

ZkFwdzn.jpg

I still love this ride. It seems to get very “meh” reviews from most people, probably because the big hills after the first drop don’t do much and the helixy bit is quite boring and shaky, but the first drop is great and the really long bunny hill section at the end is still one of my favourite ever coaster sections.

52fWscb.jpg

J5VpRXJ.jpg

Acrobat only had a small queue, but staff were being particularly faffy, only getting a train out every ten minutes, which is what I seem to remember from last time.

D2Kd6kH.jpg

9FYa4Pi.jpg

74ka6sv.jpg

uoaPJqE.jpg

Some other stuff, all walk-on (except SD2000):

buBtqxw.jpg

TDR3VgA.jpg

ydEe0zE.jpg

93xgbFh.jpg

mkbJx45.jpg

vpHWJIX.jpg

klh0PzI.jpg

mMFR5IE.jpg

7fgrwBt.jpg

tpuRZRm.jpg

jHK8goP.jpg

I did the old Intamin Freefall a couple of time, and the corkscrew and Schwarzkopfs once each. Didn’t do kiddy stuff since I didn’t need the creds, and the Togo jet coaster thing was closed (got it; don’t care)

This was (I think) new since my last visit. It was an upcharge, which I usually won’t do because I think it’s rude, but I tried it anyway.

z31JlFk.jpg

It’s a 3D shooting ride, using the same guns and screens that you get on the likes of Toy Story Midway Mania. It was very good for what it was, but shouldn’t be an extra charge really.

G12HgZQ.jpg

The Ferris wheel here always has to done. In the past it was for the views over White Cyclone, which was a stunning-looking thing even if it was a load of crap to ride, but now it’s for Hakugei. Have lots of repetitive pictures:

VYM8qfH.jpg

Ozkpi7y.jpg

SLTJgXW.jpg

uu4MIMF.jpg

2wZVwpI.jpg

TKTGvEL.jpg

krxCGWB.jpg

itnkBKo.jpg

my9uzDv.jpg

FejGsgV.jpg

aI7x8oa.jpg

7LcTzga.jpg

Pk4ExPy.jpg

mwN4J0c.jpg

zxvJZDy.jpg

LZqrbcn.jpg

qXuddWx.jpg

I did a third ride on it at around this point, paying for a fastpass. These are about 7 quid (just under US$10) a pop, which I don’t think is too bad. You can get them for Hakugei, SD2000, Arashi and Acrobat. Not many of the locals seem to use them either.

vb7SIXA.jpg

iEowZza.jpg

ob9sh3T.jpg

cYKzDXb.jpg

z1HNRhC.jpg

xQCdW6Y.jpg

TDPeui7.jpg

ecUj1RN.jpg

KOUhHhL.jpg

MW4JfPT.jpg

ut3hx3Q.jpg

V4W87N5.jpg

C6BWJI3.jpg

yrz0cN7.jpg

I fastpassed SD2000 a couple of times as well.

Wc0cmq8.jpg

3UX3Utd.jpg

Did the Ferris wheel again. Look at how different this second set of pictures is:

cPgjVrG.jpg

Q8lc7mk.jpg

CJWhZqj.jpg

brGPAOU.jpg

MhqeYGl.jpg

RWYtJdS.jpg

u5xoEYi.jpg

cuE1o49.jpg

z49Tj5x.jpg

hVWluwB.jpg

zqaU9wP.jpg

QQkmh36.jpg

sUrCzFm.jpg

RFhRSCG.jpg

2Ta4sjy.jpg

v2cx0lJ.jpg

I finished off with a final ride on Hakugei. It was already amazing first thing in the morning, but by the afternoon it was just ridiculous.

0cbn5OA.jpg

It was a fab day then. I was kind of dreading having to hit the park on a Saturday, but it was totally fine. It was definitely busier than I’d seen it in the past, but this wasn’t an issue at all, given that the only real queues were for Hakugei and SD2000. I think I was out of there a couple of hours before closing and back on the bus back to the city.

I originally had no plans for the next day, figuring that I’d just hang around Nagoya, but I soon realised that I’d “done” Nagoya before, so ended up heading out to another park, which hadn’t really been on my map at all since it didn’t seem to have much and was quite out of the way.

Suzuka Circuit

It took about 2 hours to get here from Nagoya, but it was an easy trip – just one train (to Shiroko), then a bus from right outside the station.

I wasn’t massively impressed when first going into the park:

UjWD3kN.jpg

IpNnKuv.jpg

qIMgS2O.jpg

However, once you get in properly, it’s actually really nice.

EvHsRFy.jpg

z4aeQLL.jpg

QgKQYOY.jpg

E6eKPnK.jpg

B9wUPvf.jpg

uHzHJzN.jpg

The reason I’d never bothered with this place before is that they’d removed their bigger coasters, so I’d assumed that the place was on its way out. That’s not the case though; they’ve changed into a family park and have done that really, really well, with s**tloads of stuff for families with younger kids to do.

The first coaster was Adventure Drive, which got a bit of attention on coaster forums by being “powered” by how loud people screamed. This is blatantly bollocks. It looks lovely, but rides like a piece of s**t.

xpI8M5Y.jpg

940BDuR.jpg

j0jmuYa.jpg

hvLAOc8.jpg

9B5QVQ5.jpg

RCDB lists two coasters here, with Rocky Coaster being the second one. The back two cars have backwards-facing seats, but I wasn’t about to do that knowing how crap the coaster was going to be.

jbUz1L9.jpg

aXR5wfP.jpg

BA9BHJ2.jpg

9nmIxDn.jpg

I think RCDB had previously listed Duel GP, but it’s not on there now. It’s very clearly a pair of powered coasters though.

mevcND2.jpg

oM2BXnG.jpg

6D2H8Gr.jpg

sbAzST9.jpg

There’s an element of driver control in that you should steer into the turns. If you turn too much, or not enough, then the cars spin and slow down slightly, allowing the “better” driver to slightly overtake, but you don’t get to control the speed yourself. Plus, the bridge section has a sudden burst of speed and clearly has an elevation change. They’re powered coasters. End of discussion.

Q2YwCXU.jpg

lS1kNsJ.jpg

N1cXLvW.jpg

N6iaGXU.jpg

cFOKJQG.jpg

v82WTFb.jpg

cCIoIYI.jpg

Did the Ferris wheel and got to see some cars driving around in circles for no apparent reason.

F4moQP0.jpg

ITvDjpO.jpg

0O1pEcm.jpg

p0jwLLh.jpg

3JQGDRE.jpg

2Ec0700.jpg

L3GeanB.jpg

L4MRdBL.jpg

X9W2oSH.jpg

VL6KnUo.jpg

yjvjzqB.jpg

WMy9l8R.jpg

uw2XElC.jpg

This thing is also listed on Coaster-Count (though they definitely list some dubious s**t, so I wanted to see for myself), so I headed to have a look at that before leaving the park.

Mx0cOtB.jpg

vDunuET.jpg

My first thought was “nah, probably not”, but then after seeing more of it, I changed my mind. Yeah, it’s a slow meandering thing, but, again, it’s on powered coaster track, has elevation changes, and even coasts a little down some small drops.

leTIreJ.jpg

vftW856.jpg

jLTnCB6.jpg

And, come on, look at this:

WJbZRpF.jpg

So yeah, I’ve counted it.

From there, it was a bit of a trek to the airport, having to the get the same bus and train back into Nagoya and then transferring again to the airport train.

All-in-all, it was a pretty fab weekend even if it was a bit of an effort. Hakugei alone was worth it, I managed to finally get that f**king Ultra Twister and had a few rerides on another favourite, SD2000. Suzuka Circuit was a surprisingly cute little park and turned out to be a decent little last-minute bonus.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nice! My four comments:

1. Lucky (well, you made effort, but you know what I mean) bugger getting to Hakugei. Looks fabulous.

2. Love the shots from the Ferris Wheel. Always have, and now they've got the RMC it's even better!

3. The duelling powered and kiddie cred thing are dubious, but if they coast as you say then I reckon you're alright. I'd count 'em too.

4. Efficient weekend, efficient report, brilliant.

:)

peep

CF Legend
Looked like a great weekend. Look forward to returning to Nagashima at some point, such a great collection of coasters. Also the English name of that dark ride is amazing, Farm de bang bang!

Suzuka circuit looks cute. I think that powered car coaster looks fab, I'd probably intentionally make it spin lots. I love the design of the jeep on Adventure Drive.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Great to see Hakugei making you reconsider your hobby again in terms of favourites after all this time. It really is a worthy beast.

I want to count Duel GP but its in the wrong section on Coaster Count at the moment and it's gonna bug me if I can't make things on there tie up with my own list.