What's new

USF to add 2017 ride themed around... Jimmy Fallon?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The opening date was announced today: April 6th
But what is more interesting is that, like with the attractions at Volcano Bay, there will be no 'physical' queue line. Instead there will be a virtual queue line where you explore the park until it's your allotted time. Similar to fastpass except there is no stand-by line. It's good because I refuse to queue for this and obviously more time to wander around the park is great. However, this movement (especially with Disney & Universal) towards a day out with a very strict itinerary is something to watch out for in the future. I think I'm fine with it though!

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Sometimes I wonder why some parks put in rides like this. I mean, how many people are now planning a trip to Universal because a Jimmy Fallon ride is being built? Surely this is a case where the thing that's getting people in tha park is the fact that a new ride exists, rather than the content or theme of the ride. I also don't see how this appeals to any international visitors.

Basically, this is obviously just a filler attraction, and maybe it's just because I'm not in the USA so I'm not this ride's target, but does adding this sort of ride with this sort of theme actually benefit the park in anyway?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Well, yeah, it does. Not only is a new ride the park can market and add to their line up, it will also appeal to their returning guests.

I have have no idea what percentage of USF guests are returning visitors but I'd wager it's one of the highest in the world. Orlando itself is one big resort where a lot of basic families from the UK (and elsewhere, of course) visit yearly/every other year. If the park can say, "Oi! You, yes, you! The unimaginative family from Southampton. Don't bother exploring the rest of the world during your two weeks in the sun, come back to Universal where we have this awesome new ride!", the family will probably go.

What I'm trying to say is it's important for a resort, with high number of returning guests, to add something new every year keep the basics happy.

Edward M

Strata Poster

Here's an interview with Ellen that has a few more details and shots from the filming of the ride. He starts to discuss it at around 2:10

The execution and ride system could be interesting, but everything about this just looks irritating to me.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Rode this today. The ride's virtual line system seems to be used quite well. I booked it early in the day on the app, but there are also kiosks outside the ride. There is a "preshow" area on the second floor that is more of a waiting room with couches, games, and live performances. It is a nice and efficient way to get people on the rides, but I personally think a queue would be just as efficient and entertaining.

As for the ride itself, it isn't really a flying theater at all. It is actually more like Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem than Soarin'. It is just yet another simulator in the park. The only thing that this ride does different than your average simulator was send out scents. Even that isn't unique (at all). The ride really is unbelievably mediocre. Probably the worst simulator Universal has made. If you don't like the tonight show's humor (like myself), then this will likely be painful. A big disappointment I think.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
giphy.gif

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Rode this today. The ride's virtual line system seems to be used quite well. I booked it early in the day on the app, but there are also kiosks outside the ride. There is a "preshow" area on the second floor that is more of a waiting room with couches, games, and live performances. It is a nice and efficient way to get people on the rides, but I personally think a queue would be just as efficient and entertaining.

As for the ride itself, it isn't really a flying theater at all. It is actually more like Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem than Soarin'. It is just yet another simulator in the park. The only thing that this ride does different than your average simulator was send out scents. Even that isn't unique (at all). The ride really is unbelievably mediocre. Probably the worst simulator Universal has made. If you don't like the tonight show's humor (like myself), then this will likely be painful. A big disappointment I think.
I'm surprised you got to ride it already since it wasn't supposed to open until the Exclusive Passholder Only Event from March 26-30, but I guess they needed to test it out a bit more beforehand.
What you describe is about what I expected. Does anyone know what Universal attraction had the shortest lifespan? I'm guessing this one will break that record.

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ From what I've heard, it has been in Technical Rehearsal since early March. However, the ride seemed to have quite a few effects that didn't work. Most of them are the usual "water splash" but one involved "moon dust" that was meant to enter the theater. Still, it was odd to not have these effects when they obviously were meant to be there.

As for the shortest lived attraction, I think Triceratops Encounter only lived about 4 years? I think Fallon will limp along about a decade or so. However, I would be amazed to see it live past 2030.