What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Flying coaster + lap bars = joke.
You didn't sound too positive about it in general, especially with the comment on the leg parts. I wasn't only referring to the lap bar stuff ;)
Obviously a lap bar on a flying coaster would suck. Imagine a Maurer lap bar, it would cut you in half :D

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
You didn't sound too positive about it in general, especially with the comment on the leg parts. :D
I am neither positive or negative at this stage, merely intrigued.
The comment on the leg parts was up for discussion. From the current angle they look tiny/incomplete.
Quite an important contact point on a flyer as I've noticed the newer B&M ones tend to dig in a little.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Update from Tobi on PhantaFriends.de.
Two identical towers have been erected alongside the inversion. The two towers are connected by a large metal arch.
They're difficult to photograph (legally) but PhantaFriends member Phlpictures got a photo the towers being erected.
acceb6dcd032d4c96bf0204a374618f9.jpg

The structures very closely resemble this structure from the Flying Coaster poster/concept art.
08b3992f263d625cc2daaef8bc0b0b4c.jpg

Good to see the first bits of major theming are now going up.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
A lot of new metal work is going up. Some kind of building(s). There's track inbetween the structures here so hoping for some good close interactions.
_20170817_192552.thumb.JPG.28991cef76e8ec6e79cc6e47a19489fe.JPG

You can see the top of those two towers erected yesterday (the black structures) from Kaiserplatz. They haven't been finished yet - especially if looks like the concept art there should be 2 more towers connected by arches. They are right next to the track going up into the inversion so if the structure is finished I imagine that will be another interaction.
_20170817_192450.thumb.JPG.26ba8093d3721dacd2be168e4c22f0d8.JPG

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
2.thumb.jpg.3f7f08769bcae5914625505dfcbdb002.jpg

Curved LSM launch track pieces are sitting out now at Vlodrop. Based on track shape + colour definitely for F.L.Y. !
It seems the speculation that it will be an inclined launch in the flying position was accurate.
From PhantaFriends.de
https://www.phantafriends.de/topic/1873-neu-20xx-fly/?page=35&tab=comments#comment-88503

1.thumb.jpg.0da4aba52d0c0430beddc2093e496729.jpg

There are 4 launch parts. 3 curved ones and 1 straight track part.
They were already reported on before in this thread but the sideways tracks for the station are still sitting there. This bit of track photo has breaks on it so we can assume this part is for the break run.
4.thumb.jpg.5d5d5cb87512b3e3dff91bf8b655fdd0.jpg

Last edited:

Ireeb

Mega Poster
That just looks gorgeous. But for some reason I can only see the picture in the notification e-mail but not here in the forums.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
could be 90°. But it could also be a rolling launch, so the train drops into the launch, because I think a 90° launch would be awkward, and I also don't think they could do that with PL's height restrictions.
That's how I could imagine it (it's just a wild guess):
FLY.png

Since it is a LSM launch, it could go rather slowly around the bottom, and then accelerate out of there.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
So I guess we can expect the launch track to 'turn up' on park soon? I'll grab my coat...

I guess the general idea of a launch into a half loop of sorts is possible? Doesn't have to be too fast (and LSMs on curved track would indicate not too quick), and could work with the rumoured idea of an indoor section pre launch.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
So I guess we can expect the launch track to 'turn up' on park soon? I'll grab my coat...

I guess the general idea of a launch into a half loop of sorts is possible? Doesn't have to be too fast (and LSMs on curved track would indicate not too quick), and could work with the rumoured idea of an indoor section pre launch.
Yeah, launch into an Immelmann or something like that could also work.

Sandman

Giga Poster
If this thing was going anywhere but Phantasia, I would be laughing at it.

Man, this is so true! I couldn't see this working anywhere else, but Phantasia are mad geniuses and so we can trust their crazily brilliant ideas. In fact, I remember when this concept was being discussed in a previous thread before we knew it was for Phantasialand. Loads of funny comments ;)

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Man, this is so true! I couldn't see this working anywhere else, but Phantasia are mad geniuses and so we can trust their crazily brilliant ideas. In fact, I remember when this concept was being discussed in a previous thread before we knew it was for Phantasialand. Loads of funny comments ;)
Yeah I was so sure the Vekoma Prototype in Vlodrop is for a darkride :D

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
could be 90°. But it could also be a rolling launch, so the train drops into the launch, because I think a 90° launch would be awkward, and I also don't think they could do that with PL's height restrictions.
That's how I could imagine it (it's just a wild guess):
FLY.png

Since it is a LSM launch, it could go rather slowly around the bottom, and then accelerate out of there.

It is a possibility, indeed, but I was under the impression that one would want to avoid such "power dives" because it presses the riders pretty hard against the restraints? You don't want too harsh positive G forces on a flying coaster, after all.

Then again, I don't see any feasible alternative with that many curved pieces. Maybe they will do a sort of "pull-up turn" (damn, the quality of my English really plunges after midnight), where the track is heavily banked, and ascends and turns as it launches? Then again, wonky lateral forces on a launch track is possibly even less desirable than positive G on the riders, so maybe not...

Ireeb

Mega Poster
It is a possibility, indeed, but I was under the impression that one would want to avoid such "power dives" because it presses the riders pretty hard against the restraints? You don't want too harsh positive G forces on a flying coaster, after all.

Then again, I don't see any feasible alternative with that many curved pieces. Maybe they will do a sort of "pull-up turn" (damn, the quality of my English really plunges after midnight), where the track is heavily banked, and ascends and turns as it launches? Then again, wonky lateral forces on a launch track is possibly even less desirable than positive G on the riders, so maybe not...
LSMs can both de- and accelerate (or keep the speed constant), so they can control the speed and the forces at that point freely. They can make the LSMs slow down the train until it is out of the valley and then accelerate it.
We also shouldn't forget: We don't know if these are all the launch pieces. Maybe there are more, maybe straight ones. The two things I believe make the most sense are either the one I did in NL2 or a launch into a Loop/Immelmann/Sidewinder etc.

Last edited:

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Maybe all 3 of the launch track parts aren't meant to fit together and it may have multiple launches instead?
They would probably be too short for individual launches. They seem to have the same radius as well, so I would be surprised if they are not going to be one part.