What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Rookburgh Update from Phantafriend's Tobi
In corner of the site (which at the moment is a pit about 10/12 meters deep allegedly) between the Administration buildings and the back of the Berlin street a lot of work has been carried out. The floor slab and some walls and ceilings have been poured. On this side of the site in the base/floor plate, footers for the coaster are in place.
Concrete has not yet been poured on the other side of the site, bordering Wuze Town. No footers can be seen here yet as well.

A couple days ago Vekoma workers were spotted at the park admin buildings (whether they visited the site or not is unknown). While I believe F.L.Y. will be from Vekoma, all the evidence points in that direction, I wouldn't take this as conclusive proof since the park has multiple Vekoma rides that they could been there for.
Activity on site has been a bit quiter the past couple weeks than before.

Last edited:

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Starting to doubt whether this could be a 2018 attraction? Considering how early they had Taron track up during the Klughiem construction and that they don't appear to have any even onsite for this yet.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I don't think it actually says 2018 anywhere does it?

You are right there's been no official announcement but the general consensus is that its for 2018. I think the logic was that it wouldn't be advertised by phanta in 2017 as it could jeopardise 2018 potential visitors were it not to open in 2018

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Despite things slowing down I'm still certain Phantasialand are planning a 2018 opening. Otherwise what compelled them to announce it so early on and heavily advertise it in the park. The massive Flying Coaster sign is far more high profile than the Klugheim/Taron advertising was after its announcement. Also Taron was announced in April 2015, and opened June 2016. Plus Taron could easily still be the focus of advertising for another year.
So I see no reason why the park would start advertising FLY so heavily if it was for 2019. They'd only be setting people up for disappointment.
My explanation would be it doesn't take as long as Klugheim to build. Klugheim's rockwork and wooden structures were done most entirely by hand which took a very long time. The style of theming and structures are completely different with Steampunk and with more modern construction methods may be quicker (of course Rookburgh will be just as heavily themed). Theming structures like cogs or machinery bits most likely would be made off side and simply assembled in PHL. While a footer for Taron would take a week to have a team spray the concrete, carve the rockwork, add detail and paint it.
Also Phantasialand can be quick at delivering projects, Black Mamba looked like a concrete building site a month before opening.

But at the same time part of me is almost worried at the progress so far, considering how complex and detailed the theming for this project will definitely be. Most of the coaster will almost certainly be enclosed I pressume and be mostly housed underground in the bottom of the pit - half the footers are already in place there. So the coaster needs to go vertical soon for them to enclose it and build up the buildings above (+ a rumoured another two attractions in the area).

But maybe it is alright and everything is going according to plan for Phantasia. If Rookburgh opens in late June like Taron did then they still have just under a year now. If it is for 2018 I imagine there will be major vertical construction before the end of the summer.
If there isn't then I shall be a tad concerned...

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Tobi on PhantaFriends.de reported at the end of last week that after a few quieter weeks now construction has picked up the pace with a lot of concrete work being carried out behind Maus au Chocolat and along the back of the Berlin Street. A massive concrete floor plate was being poured. As of Sunday the new large floor plate looked like this:
Sattelitenbild.jpg.d28b4c392c4fff20f3fd69b8974ceacb.jpg

Along with major work that has already been carried out in the corner of the Admin buildings (see previous post) all work has been concentrated on the side of the site bordering Berlin, as the side bordering Wuze is where there is a large ramp made from soil + rubble for vehicle access to the bottom of the pit.

Today I saw in person this morning two concrete mixer trucks enter the site and when leaving the park there were 3 concrete mixer trucks waiting to enter the site. So they are definitely continuing 'full steam ahead' so to speak.
I also managed to have a quick peek into the site as well. Was bigger than I expected and the hole is rather deep, a lot for them to work with (although I know they can do it after Taron but seriously they are fitting the World's longest flying coaster in there?!).

peep

CF Legend
^Ah man, was there yesterday too, could have said hi. Where did you go to get a cheeky look into the construction site? From inside the park they've done quite a good job of covering all viewing angles.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Regarding which manufacturer could it be - does anyone know of evidence the park has relationships or issues with certain companies?

I actually like the Vekoma dutchman - they have issues, and I would go as far to say that those issues are inherently Vekoma issues so they will never go away, such as an inability to design a comfortable seat and restraint... I personally much prefer the lying on your back thing to the hanging awkwardly without neck support thing and I wonder if lying on your back is more appropriate for a launch anyway? That said, thematically, lying on your back sucks and doesn't capture the concept of flying *at all*. So? *shrug*

Maybe it won't be B&M or Vekoma... Kinda feels like the kind of crazy **** Gerst would try next?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^Ah man, was there yesterday too, could have said hi. Where did you go to get a cheeky look into the construction site? From inside the park they've done quite a good job of covering all viewing angles.
From outside the park while the gate was open for the trucks to come in. Was pure luck.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Regarding which manufacturer could it be - does anyone know of evidence the park has relationships or issues with certain companies?

I actually like the Vekoma dutchman - they have issues, and I would go as far to say that those issues are inherently Vekoma issues so they will never go away, such as an inability to design a comfortable seat and restraint... I personally much prefer the lying on your back thing to the hanging awkwardly without neck support thing and I wonder if lying on your back is more appropriate for a launch anyway? That said, thematically, lying on your back sucks and doesn't capture the concept of flying *at all*. So? *shrug*

Maybe it won't be B&M or Vekoma... Kinda feels like the kind of crazy :emoji_poop: Gerst would try next?

The manufacturers they have the best relationship with are Vekoma and Intamin.
Given as with most projects they will have been working on this for years I can only see it being a manufacturer they've a good relationship with. They obviously did work with B&M 11 years ago on Black Mamba as well.
If it was someone new like Gerst it would be surprising.
To be fair I can't see Intamin suddenly coming up with a flying coaster. It really could only be Vekoma or B&M.
Given the rumours, supposed leak by Looopings and the propotype they're testing - I still think its Vekoma.

Then again Phantasialand likes to surprise so I guess it'll be a matter of just wait and see. I'm hoping vertical construction is coming soon (also I'm living nearby until 8th August so I hope to see something for myself cause I'm a geek.)

If it is Vekoma I would think it will differ from the previous models. The test set up is purely to test the rotation of the cars for a new method of boarding and I'd expect, as they did with Taron, the park will have developed with the manufacturer new and improved comfortable seats/restraints. Vekoma have already been using a new track design for a while and we've seen their launch coaster capabilities with the F1 thing in Poland.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I was going to post about the fact a number of footers are complete however more exciting news than that is:
Two cranes appeared on site this morning.
20170731_140314.thumb.jpg.a4fd3f40725efeebee1b3bef882ecbb0.jpg

And according to the PhantaFriends.de member who posted this photo the first support went up! You can see something black poking out over the gate.
Seemingly vertical construction has started!
aviary-image-1501499373260.thumb.jpeg.5bc143e40376d382a2ffe41b2d4fe88e.jpeg

peep

CF Legend
I don't know why but I wasn't expecting to see anything from that angle. Very glad we can though, yay progress!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
0657d1e9faa7521b02d196e6c293a21f.jpg

Clearer image confirming that the first support has indeed been erected.
A few on PhantaFriends.de have commented that the support also resembles those on the Vekoma prototype test set up. And from looking at that photo I'd agree (although I'm no expert on that sort of stuff, so don't take my word for it) having seen the test set up for myself today. On the way back from visiting Toverland I stopped by Vlodrop to take a look. Very intriguing.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Definitely looks like new-gen Vekoma and not B&M....

Would have rathered a B&M but these new Vekomas do look fab so happy either way.

peep

CF Legend
Oooo, Vekoma have updated the test on their Flying Dutchman page too confirming what we saw on that prototype.

Vekoma said:
The Flying Dutchman will be delivered with a complete new train design and this second generation of our Flying dutchman contains all features and design philosophies of the first generation, however with implemented major improvements of the restraint system, tilting device and ride control.

Passengers will be tilted while riding, which will save time and increase capacity. Immediately after the crest of the lift, when the train rotates, the passenger will experience the sensational feeling of getting into a flying position and the sudden height they will be exposed to. On the lift, because of the lift angle the gaU (guest accommodation Unit) remains in upright position, allowing for a spectacular view over the park emergency evacuation on the lift is quite simple; the gaU is already in upright position. The stairs on both sides of the lift will guide the passengers safely to the ground. Experience cutting edge roller coaster technology with our Flying Dutchman coaster.

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/experience-thrill-coasters/flying-dutchman

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ooh, very nice!

Will be interesting to see just how much we'll be able to see once construction really kicks in. Then again, part of me wouldn't be surprised if the park just doubled the heights of the walls around the construction...

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Oooo, Vekoma have updated the test on their Flying Dutchman page too confirming what we saw on that prototype.

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/experience-thrill-coasters/flying-dutchman
Hmmm. Still sounds like a normal Flying Dutchman to me. With the GaU being upright and evacuation possible using stairs on both sides.
While with the prototype the track is on it's side and therefore you could evacuate with one set of stairs.
When was the website updated?

Also track! Yay!
Saw a lorry being unloaded this morning by the crane unfortunately missed seeing the track being lowered into place - was otherwise occupied single rider queue was pretty much empty all day got 12 rides in on Taron ;)
3 cranes on site today and a new large static crane was erected. There was a lot of activity and movement on site. They really seem to be picking up the pace.
20170801_191931_zpsy9ycqp9a.jpg

The new skyline at Kaiserplatz.
More supports were installed but still only the one is visible over the gate.
20170801_171529_zpsy9da1edf.jpg

Not the best quality as my phone's zoom isn't very good but I stood on a bench (attracted some stares) to see a bit more.