What's new

The Games we play...

davidm

Strata Poster
I played the Kitchen demo in none VR, so I haven't bothered yet, will do though.
How about the other RE7 demo on the PSVR ; thats just been VR-enabled apparently.
Absolutely terrifying. Not sure I enjoyed it AT ALL - kept saying to myself "its only a game its only a game" but that didn't help at all, had to turn it off. Brilliant then, but don't think I'll be buying it! :eek:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't know there was another one. Will have to dig it out and hate it too :)

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

TLARides

Hyper Poster
A few games that I enjoy playing...

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (My all-time FAVORITE Zelda game. Love Midna. Great character.)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Fun fact, the TLA in my name stands for TheLoneArgonian, which is my YouTube username.)

Planet Coaster (We all know how good it is and how it literally kicked RCT Worlds :emoji_zipper_mouth:. So there should no explanation for it!)

Kerbal Space Program (One word: Space!)

Hyrule Warriors (Again, one of my favorite Zelda games, though it's not considered canon. At least Midna's a playable character! ^_^)

MagnesiumPC

Roller Poster
Planet Coaster - Obvious choice
Parkitect - I really like the art style and the fact that it's a spiritual sucessor to RCT 2
The Long Dark - There is just something about this game that pulls you in.
Cities Skylines - Its fun.
Theme Hospital - Got it for free. Its fun.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
How about the other RE7 demo on the PSVR ; thats just been VR-enabled apparently.
Absolutely terrifying. Not sure I enjoyed it AT ALL - kept saying to myself "its only a game its only a game" but that didn't help at all, had to turn it off. Brilliant then, but don't think I'll be buying it! :eek:
Ah. That's actually the one I'd played. It was okay.

However, Star Wars VR for Battlefront came out today. it's awesome. Far too short, but awesome.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ Just downloading it all ;)

EDIT: and just played it too (24hrs later, silly job/life getting in the way)
I was only sat in an X-Wing, flying around Imperial Star Destroyers in a big dogfight full of TIE fighters I was!
:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^ Just downloading it all ;)

EDIT: and just played it too (24hrs later, silly job/life getting in the way)
I was only sat in an X-Wing, flying around Imperial Star Destroyers in a big dogfight full of TIE fighters I was!
:) :) :) :)

How fantastic is it? It's not just the fact it's Star Wars either (though it helps :) ).

The game just works so well. I've played Eve and the space fight COD thing and neither of them are anywhere near as good. Both feel clumsy to control and make you a bit nauseous. They're just not very good games. Also, the Battlefront space battles suck - they're just "meh".

Criterion have nailed it with this. The control and action feels "right". As a massive X-Wing and Tie Fighter fan from the 90's, it feels like they did (a little simpler, but the feel is there).

To be fair though, that's what Criterion do best and always have. They know how to make games control properly - the Burnout series was always superb.

I read an interview with one of their guys and he said that they had to tweak it, otherwise it made people really sick. He also said that by having the nose-cone on the X-Wing, it reduces the motion sickness. So a Tie Fighter wouldn't work as well. Also hinted at more VR missions in Battlefront 2... I'm watching that space!

Did you also do the look round the cockpit and flick switches thing? You can change the firing mode (single, double or quad) and drop down the targeting computer. I loved it :)

I think it really showed off the potential though and I think is my favourite VR experience so far. I loved the fly-by of the capital ships and then the dogfight was superb. Being able to track a fighter with your head and chase it down properly makes such a difference to the game. Doing it and not wanting to vomit was icing on the cake :)

davidm

Strata Poster
Got the feeling that it was the fact that it didn't let you barrel-roll that made it not as nauseous as that Eve thing (but only played the demo of Eve once so...) - the COD one was OK though I thought.
Haven't played around with the switches tho' :( - I did play silly buggers with the VR though and stood up for a while ; theres a strange headless corpse below you then and you can then look behind you to see the R2 unit. Felt the XWing needs wing mirrors really though, stuff sneaking up on you behind is a problem - design fault by the rebellion I think. ;)
The gameplay was a lot easier than the normal Battlefront space missions too ; which helps, let you enjoy the VR spectacle without just getting killed all the time (well OK perhaps thats just me in the normal Battlefront space missions?).

Pierre

Strata Poster
Not only are Nintendo going down the demonic route of DLC, they're not even doing it properly. The first DLC for Zelda includes three things, two of which are;

- Hard Mode
- A Map Feature

There's also a new challenge which is probably the route they should have gone down in the first place, and just included hard mode as an option on the initial game (whether it's available or not immediately or upon completion of the game should have been the only debate here). A new Map Feature? This could have just been done in a patch and not DLC surely?

My seven year old has ruined Mario for me anyway, we're playing our way through 3D world on the Wii U and she tells me where EVERY secret is because she has pretty much watched every level x10 over.

Edit: What the **** is my profile picture all about????

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
My seven year old has ruined Mario for me anyway, we're playing our way through 3D world on the Wii U and she tells me where EVERY secret is because she has pretty much watched every level x10 over.
Exact same here. My little brother always gets mad when I don't get every possible secret in every single level. It's so annoying you can't enjoy anything!

The profile thing is just generic filler for those who have no profile picture.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not only are Nintendo going down the demonic route of DLC, they're not even doing it properly. The first DLC for Zelda includes three things, two of which are;

- Hard Mode
- A Map Feature

There's also a new challenge which is probably the route they should have gone down in the first place, and just included hard mode as an option on the initial game (whether it's available or not immediately or upon completion of the game should have been the only debate here). A new Map Feature? This could have just been done in a patch and not DLC surely?

Edit: What the :emoji_zipper_mouth: is my profile picture all about????
They did dlc on the Wii U. Which was also bad. Limited stuff and very expensive. Hardly ever (if any) sales.

Really frustrates me as I want to play additional stuff, but like £10 or whatever it is for two new Smash characters is awful. Everyone else reduces prices after a period and sales due off, but everything Nintendo remains a high price and unsold - like it's a badge of honour or something to not make money but when you do, margins are ridiculous.

I think YouTube should be banned anyway. Why is it more fun to watch annoying people pay games than it is to play the game yourself???

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ Yeah tell me about it. The DLC in MK8 was poor too, a few characters and the price was ridiculous.

Yeah I only just picked up 3D World in October when it finally went onto Nintendo Selects (three years after release) - I've known Nintendo games though to never go to 'Selects' or if they have taken much longer than three years.

Has anyone had any experience with Gameseek by the way? https://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Vidww4tgNSwitch/Nintendo-Switch-Console-Grey-

£198.50 for the Switch when it's £279.99 everywhere else? Seems too good to be true.

In other news, I signed up to the PS Now 7 day trial, will be cancelling after the 7 days, it's a large choice but just don't get the nostalgic feel playing PS3 games as I do with PS1 games... Speaking of PS1 games, Crash N:Sane Trilogy has a release date of 30th June! No price yet but they are calling it a 'AAA Remaster' so I'm fully expecting a full RRP of around £39.99-£44.99 which is tragic.

Lastly, despite me saying I don't get the nostalgic feel from playing PS3 games, I have been giving MW:Remastered some stick on Hardcore S&D in recent weeks and if anyone on here fancies a game give us a shout.

Now, to get this wedding out of the way so I can FINALLY justify spending £350.00 on a VR headset lol!

davidm

Strata Poster
Brilliant then, but don't think I'll be buying it! :eek:
Resi7 : So despite what I may have said earlier, I have been playing the full version in VR (not very much as I'm rubbish and it keeps scaring me).
Does make me a bit more motion-sickness/VR nauseous - more so than the other car racing/space-shooty VR games anyway. But I'll persist with it I think - an hour or so at a time - as its so well done. :emoji_biohazard:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ps now sucks. I just don't understand what was going through Sony's head with it, other than $$$$

When you look at Microsoft and the fact they give you the 360 games free that run under emulation on the Xbox One, it's a very poor offering.

They don't even run well enough on the Now servers to make them appealing.

Having said that, I don't play any 360 games on the Xbone lol

I do have a ridiculous ps3 have catalogue though and would like to have the convenience of it on the PS4 occasionally.

Lord M - something that might interest you.

I picked up Trackmania while it's cheap in the sale.

It's a "lite" driving game, but one that requires precision and skill to really nail. Lots of repeating short levels to pick up extra seconds.

It has local multiplayer, not as good as Blur, but still fun.

It also has a bunch of roller-coaster tracks in a VR mode, that are as fun as they are sickening :)

Thought it was worth mentioning.

Wrexham_forever

Roller Poster
They did dlc on the Wii U. Which was also bad. Limited stuff and very expensive. Hardly ever (if any) sales.

Really frustrates me as I want to play additional stuff, but like £10 or whatever it is for two new Smash characters is awful. Everyone else reduces prices after a period and sales due off, but everything Nintendo remains a high price and unsold - like it's a badge of honour or something to not make money but when you do, margins are ridiculous.

I think YouTube should be banned anyway. Why is it more fun to watch annoying people pay games than it is to play the game yourself???

My 5 year son loves watching any mario game on YouTube, starting to do my head in.

I don't mind watching people play games on YouTube or even twitch. Some can be really enjoyable if they have a good personality or sense of humour.

Mainly youtube for me is good for new games. I will watch a few videos just to see if I like the look of it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
I realise this might be a bit niche (to those of a certain gaming-vintage/heritage anyway), but the latest psychedelic trance infused arcade shooter thing from the hairy people at Llamasoft came out this week on the PSVR ; "Polybius" ( LINK )

And its lovely in VR (2D videos don't do it much justice but you can get the gist of it from them I guess) - super smooth and thoroughly engaging and playable. Feels like you are really "inside the game".

Anyway, great stuff - recommended if you like that sort of thing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I realise this might be a bit niche (to those of a certain gaming-vintage/heritage anyway), but the latest psychedelic trance infused arcade shooter thing from the hairy people at Llamasoft came out this week on the PSVR ; "Polybius" ( LINK )

And its lovely in VR (2D videos don't do it much justice but you can get the gist of it from them I guess) - super smooth and thoroughly engaging and playable. Feels like you are really "inside the game".

Anyway, great stuff - recommended if you like that sort of thing.
I've been rammed with work the last few weeks, so I'd missed this was so close to release.

I love Minter stuff, so will have to pick it. Cheers for the heads up :)