What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Fair enough... there could well have been congestion or an accident when I looked, but the distances to the London Resort were always longer than the other parks, for what it's worth.

Try living in Gloucestershire, less than 10 miles from the Welsh border, where pretty much no major UK park is less than a 2 hour drive away...

As for how the London Resort site stacks up for me; it's around 3 hours away on a good run (Maps suggests that it would be closer to 3.5 hours on a bad one), and I wager that if a park were to be built in that location, it would fall into the Blackpool Pleasure Beach-style category of "don't visit regularly because it's so far away" for us.

Thorpe is significantly closer, at only around 2 hours on a good run (it's one of the closest major parks to me), and even Chessington is only around 2h 15m on a good run.

I do concede that the train is a little easier... Ebbsfleet International is only around 2.5 hours from Bristol Parkway, which is actually less time than it takes to get to Chessington South (that's nearly 3 hours). Staines and Chertsey (Thorpe's nearest stations) are both closer, at only around 2 hours or slightly under from Bristol Parkway. That would involve a good 30-45 minute drive to Bristol Parkway in the first place, however, so it would ultimately take no less time than driving.
Haha... I know your pain all too well... I've had to drop @Liam williams and @Katieb off in Gloucester on Theme Park trips before... 🙈 😂 Try day tripping Phantasialand from Plopsaland, then all the way back to Derby Via Gloucester in one day!!! And these thoosies say Ebbsfleet is hard to get to for a day trip... pffft, part timers... I bet the Americans reading this talk of 3-4 hour journeys being an issue are laughing their asses off at us. 😂😂😂

I think in summary, it's fair to say, yes, it would be a pain to get to by car, for a lot of the country, but so are other parks. However it's got good train connections, if we can sort out our rail networks operational issues in the next few years, travel by train wouldn't be a huge problem for much of the country. And finally, as a side note, lots of our easily accessible top class parks in the North / Midlands are very difficult for those in the South to get to, and that part of the country is one of the most densely populated areas of the UK, so probably deserves more top class parks than it currently has.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Nope,
even then, the argument that it would be difficult to get to by car can be wiped out because if any of this hypothetical arguments over a hypothetical 80% of the population visiting a hypothetical theme park were to come true, then in this same hypothetical universe, there wouldnt just be parking south of the river, but a special ferry terminal to the north too!

i dont care for getting involved in the shindigging going on right now because quite frankly, as an outsider, it's hilarious and rather enjoyable to see this thread so active for something so insanely trivial. but i will say that its location for transport is strong. denying that is simply a dense and false argument. trawl through the original planning documents and you'll see that site scouting took place way back when this actually had some reality to it as a concept. and whether or not it's convenient for you, it's connection to londons major airports, train terminals and the greater continent is actually probably some of the best in the entire country for different travel mediums.

now can we go back to laughing every time this thread popped up because it looked more like a despicable person struggling on life support than meaningless quabbles on the interweb?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
i dont care for getting involved in the shindigging going on right now because quite frankly, as an outsider, it's hilarious and rather enjoyable to see this thread so active for something so insanely trivial. but...
"I'm going to anyway."

😂 😂 😂

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with you, we're saying the same thing, but I just thought the irony was hilarious. 👍

Have to love the closed season, we could debate absolutely anything when we're bored, couldn't we? 😂 Good job I know @rob666 has very thick skin and won't take any of this too seriously. :) We usually agree on lots of things, so it makes a change to disagree on something.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Closed season.
Chewing the fat.
Well mannered debate going on a bit on random trivial topics.
But what else is there to do?
I'm too old for that other stuff men do with computers with this arthritis in my hands.

...and Matt, I was only pulling your leg mate...again.
You stay optimistic for all of us pal.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm too old for that other stuff men do with computers with this arthritis in my hands.

You're talking about gaming, obviously.... ;)

I've gotten really into Star Citizen at the moment... In ten years it's gone from insane concept, to disappointing meme, to looking like it might be the greatest game ever created, by the time it hits Beta! I mention it here, because it's had an ironically similar life to NeverGonnaHappenLand... The difference being, we've seen enough from Star Citizen now to feel fairly confident it will be incredible, eventually. (It's already great fun to play.)

rob666

Hyper Poster
You're talking about gaming, obviously.... ;)

I've gotten really into Star Citizen at the moment... In ten years it's gone from insane concept, to disappointing meme, to looking like it might be the greatest game ever created, by the time it hits Beta! I mention it here, because it's had an ironically similar life to NeverGonnaHappenLand... The difference being, we've seen enough from Star Citizen now to feel fairly confident it will be incredible, eventually. (It's already great fun to play.)
Na sorry, I meant masturbation.
I can still manage gaming, as long as there aren't too many buttons.

davidm

Strata Poster
In "news" that surprises no-one...

PY is out.

Some choice quotes;

Proposals for a multi-billion pound theme park in Kent have been "significantly" scaled-back as part of a "reset" to address environmental concerns.

Mr Norris added: "We will be changing the proposals significantly, but remain wholly committed to delivering in Swanscombe.

"There is huge scope for exciting destination leisure development and we will share more as we move forward next year.”

"exciting destination leisure development" - back to the Nandos and bowling alley plan then! ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In "news" that surprises no-one...

PY is out.

Some choice quotes;

"exciting destination leisure development" - back to the Nandos and bowling alley plan then! ;)
Nature walks, picnic areas, lakes and wide open spaces....

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not news as such but some possible concept art for the park. Found this on linkedin with no park name attached. However I believe it's art for the London resort.

image_6a45b25f-b0f3-4919-97c7-ddd2eb81ebaf20230206_132540.jpgimage_f723dc7b-a8f5-4ece-80da-d33c0b6c1c3020230206_132546.jpgimage_72610c89-5b51-4ef3-92c2-b8ab83e4c6cd20230206_132602.jpg

I'm basing this almost entirely off the union jack glass dome from the entrance area seen in some other early concept art. Such as this
Screenshot_2023-02-06-13-27-29-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

It's possibly not for this park but it appears to fit.
Source - https://www.linkedin.com/company/hetzeldesign

rob666

Hyper Poster
Fully dead, last chance saloon for people owed money to get some of their money back...in worthless shares, unless something rises from the ashes, which it won't, because the "project" currently shows massive losses, and no sign of any income for at least another decade.
Which is all a bit strange, as the park should have opened in 2018.
Five years after that, there has still not been any construction whatsoever...the planned park is very, very, dead.
Nandos and a cinema if you are lucky.
But with the recent fuss, I imagine a wildlife refuge for many years to come.
A thousand posts of shattered optimism.