What's new

Good elements on bad coasters

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
Sorry if this thread already exists but what are some good elements on bad coasters.

I'd have to go with the fantastic launch on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. While I definitely don't enjoy the ride the launch felt super forceful especially after riding the other launch coaster in the park.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Stampida - a pretty rough coaster but it actually becomes super fun and enjoyable to ride helped by the whole racing and fly-by element.

Big One - Might be fairly controversial, but I think the layout of this coaster is super dull. The hills don't provide any airtime, it's pretty rough and there just doesn't seem to be much to it. But....the first drop (especially on the back row) was super intense and I loved every second it o_O

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Let's see:
  • Wolverine Wildcat - Double Up/Double Down - Almost perfect specimen of a solid double-up.
  • Iron Dragon - Second Drop - Has a fun, side-to-side sway that really capitalizes on the swinging coaster design.
  • Vortex - Batwing - always a fun element
  • Vekoma Flying Dutchmen - Vertical Loops - Fun taking those laying down, looking inward towards the train
  • Iron Shark - Immelmann - Great lateral forces, especially with a lapbar-only train.

skinny thing2008

Roller Poster
all inversions on colossus Thorpe park

i think if it was a Smoove ride it would be quite enjoyable
and i think that's why sik at flamingo island is good

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Whilst I personally don't feel that Gouderix is a bad ride, I know I'm in the minority within the community. It's hard to deny though that that Butterfly is an insane element and looks absolutely incredible and intimidating over the lake.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
all inversions on colossus Thorpe park

i think if it was a Smoove ride it would be quite enjoyable
and i think that's why sik at flamingo island is good

Those mini airtime hills would be incredible with Lapbars. I've not ridden Sik and probably won't be getting to 'Mingo anytime soon so I don't know how they ride in reality.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
While I don't dislike Arrow Loopers I think it's safe to say that the majority of enthusiasts don't so I feel as though it's worth shouting out some of their first drops. In particular any Arrow with a turn before the drop has great airtime. My primary example of this is Demon at Sfgam which absolutely ejects you out of your seat with that janky Arrow drop.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
I love Anaconda at KD but know that most don't. The final corkscrews are among my fav corkscrews on any coaster.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I haven't ridden it since getting the Sky Rocket II trains, but the dive loop on Manhattan Express has always been the only redeeming element of the entire ride.

While I don't dislike Arrow Loopers I think it's safe to say that the majority of enthusiasts don't so I feel as though it's worth shouting out some of their first drops.
Jumping on this, but in a different direction... SFMM Viper's funky diving drop is incredible in the back of the train. The rest of the ride isn't awful by any means, but it's not particularly great.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Avalanche - the layout is fun (for clarification, the rattle makes it bad)

The Walking Dead - the layout is fun and the engine restart bit is pretty funny (for clarification, the theming makes it bad)

Pinfari RC40s - the ending helix is usually quite forceful

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jumping on this, but in a different direction... SFMM Viper's funky diving drop is incredible in the back of the train. The rest of the ride isn't awful by any means, but it's not particularly great.
Oh Viper is the weird exception to Arrow Loopers - what a remarkably good coaster given the technology behind it!

I think it's fair to say corkscrews on many Arrow's = <3

SLC drops are pretty great, I must admit.
The rest of the ride = garbage.
I feel this - I almost put the SLC Immelman on my list, as it has a nice pop of positive g's and a (weirdly) smooth portion of the coaster design.

Callum

Roller Poster
I've never been the biggest fan of SAW but I've always loved the drop at the end after the final MCBR. Always flies through that final MCBR

RcTmix

Mega Poster
The airtime hill on Cedar Point’s corkscrew, right after the first drop. Solid air, but the rest of the ride tracks like trash now.

The loop on Son of Beast. A fantastic element in the middle of 7000 feet of torture.

The drop into the tunnel on Big Bad John has a decent pop of air. Not just a good element on a bad coaster, one of the only good element at Magic Springs.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Some good calls above! Esp the first drop on SLCs. It feels so good, so much promise and then first whiff of a lateral, bang, your head its the restraint and its torture.

I'd add the non-inverting loop on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and the interlocking loops on Loch Ness Monster