What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I feel like every time I post an update on this thread I'm just pumping steroids and oxygen into an ancient, decrepid, suicidal elderly person who wants nothing more than to die.

But I think you guys should know...
The company did not end up being struck off.

It looked real likely that around mid october the LR design company was to be dissolved or whatever, but they did their filing, so there are still people somewhere in an office doing something.

What that something is however, lord knows.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Good grief...I was expecting a "Breaking Ground" story.
I'm sure the first footers for a nice big coaster will be going in any day now.

spicy

Giga Poster
47e1e12849c6e6fb64941d5739b64bd1.jpg

The timeline on that article just shows why we will never have a new theme park of large scale in the UK.

Just too much red tape, legalities, environmental concerns, smoke and mirrors, consultations etc..

Unless you are building housing (which will be given the green light way easier) hundreds of millions has to be spent on the legalities before you break any ground.

rob666

Hyper Poster
47e1e12849c6e6fb64941d5739b64bd1.jpg

The timeline on that article just shows why we will never have a new theme park of large scale in the UK.

Just too much red tape, legalities, environmental concerns, smoke and mirrors, consultations etc..

Unless you are building housing (which will be given the green light way easier) hundreds of millions has to be spent on the legalities before you break any ground.
There are large regions of the UK that would bend over backwards for such leisure investment in their area, and would be supported by national, regional and local government.
This project was always poorly located too close to the capital, in a highly congested area, with limited public transport links, that 80% of the public would have difficulty accessing.
The developing "organisation" has stalled, changed it's mind and prevaricated for years...the project deserves to die a slow and agonising death, which is exactly what is happening.

Dead duck from the start in my eyes.

spicy

Giga Poster
There are large regions of the UK that would bend over backwards for such leisure investment in their area, and would be supported by national, regional and local government.
This project was always poorly located too close to the capital, in a highly congested area, with limited public transport links, that 80% of the public would have difficulty accessing.
The developing "organisation" has stalled, changed it's mind and prevaricated for years...the project deserves to die a slow and agonising death, which is exactly what is happening.

Dead duck from the start in my eyes.

I disagree with the location being an issue.

It was right next to Ebbsfleet station which you can get to from london st pancras in 15 minutes on the high speed line. Making it very accessible by train from all over the country?

Also had access by boat using the river thames.

Driving I agree could have been more of an issue as it was in a bit of a bottle neck.

Anyway I am discussing access routes to a park that will never exist

Matt N

CF Legend

It was right next to Ebbsfleet station which you can get to from london st pancras in 15 minutes on the high speed line. Making it very accessible by train from all over the country?
Doesn’t London St Pancras only directly serve a small part of the country, though? Surely if you’re from other parts of the country, accessing the park becomes harder because its train link serves the “wrong” London station for your part of the country? For instance, my area (the South West) is served by London Paddington, so I’d require a change of London station to get to the park.

Driving-wise, it would take 3 hours to get to the park site from my area. If it were to be built, it would be somewhere like Blackpool where we’d visit irregularly because it’s so far away.

Personally, I feel that another location in London could have had the same “London” benefits as the existing site, but also appealed to a greater proportion of the rest of the UK. If a park were to be built in an area in North West London like Hillingdon, then you would still have excellent transport links to the centre of London while also being easily reachable for a broader cross-section of the UK populace (parts of this area are 2 hours or less from Birmingham, another huge population centre). Not to mention, you’d have London Heathrow, one of the world’s busiest airports, located very nearby for foreign visitors to fly to.

If built solely for the UK market, I’d argue that somewhere like Birmingham would have been more desirable. You’ve got a large population right on your doorstep, and both London and the population centres in the North are within drivable distance. I appreciate, however, that this park wasn’t designed solely for the UK market, so that’s a bit irrelevant here.

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster

Also had access by boat using the river thames.

Driving I agree could have been more of an issue as it was in a bit of a bottle neck.

Anyway I am discussing access routes to a park that will never exist
emoji23.png
Transport for London have raised multiple concerns about the plan, as have all the local government leaders, Network Rail, and the local transport action group.
From my home by public transport would involve five changes, or going round half the M25 in the rush hour.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Transport for London have raised multiple concerns about the plan, as have all the local government leaders, Network Rail, and the local transport action group.
From my home by public transport would involve five changes, or going round half the M25 in the rush hour.
The park is also on the Elizabeth line extension plan with Swancombe due to become a Lizzie line station in the future. This would provide a direct connection from reading, Paddington, Liverpool Street, Heathrow and almost all of central London. Admittedly the plans not been approved yet but I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.

That plan alone would massively help the park I'm sure. I mean if the park was ever going to exist that is.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Doesn’t London St Pancras only directly serve a small part of the country, though?
St Pancras and King's Cross are smack bang next to each other... Euston is a few hundred yards down the road.

They're all served very well by the underground. St Pancras is also served by trains from Europe

There are absolutely no issues with it's location in regards to public transport. Driving in would have been a b**ch, but they were making a song and dance about discouraging that anyway.

rob666

Hyper Poster
St Pancras and King's Cross are smack bang next to each other... Euston is a few hundred yards down the road.

They're all served very well by the underground. St Pancras is also served by trains from Europe

There are absolutely no issues with it's location in regards to public transport. Driving in would have been a b**ch, but they were making a song and dance about discouraging that anyway.
Again, Transport for London, Network Rail and local transport action groups do not think along the same lines as you, sorry.
To say that there are absolutely no issues regarding public transport...simply wrong.
Wrong location for 80% of the nation due to transport issues in an already congested corner of the country, made worse by the river location.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Again, Transport for London, Network Rail and local transport action groups do not think along the same lines as you, sorry.
To say that there are absolutely no issues regarding public transport...simply wrong.
Wrong location for 80% of the nation due to transport issues in an already congested corner of the country, made worse by the river location.
What part of my post was wrong exactly? ;)

Edited to add..

Derby > Ebsfleet: 1 change
Manchester > Ebbsfleet: 2 changes
Birmingham > Ebbsfleet: 2 changes
Newcastle > Ebbsfleet: 1 change
Sheffield > Ebbsfleet: 1 change
Liverpool > Ebsfleet: 2 changes

Did you just pull that 80% stat out of your arse?

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Fine if you live close to the mainline station.
For me, and about 80% of the population who do not live within walking distance of a mainline railway station...
Walk to the bus, bus into town, train (no connection) to mainline station, mainline station to Euston, walk, tube to Ebsfleet.
Two walks, one bus, two trains and a tube.
Answering your question...we are discussing the number of hypothetical flies around a festering turd that will never be created.
Large numbers of travel organisations have suggested that transport to and from the park would be a major issue...
But you know best.

Reactions: Ian

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Surely that's why you'd just get an uber or drive to the nearest well connected station? (I don't think the resort is going to happen but I'm exercising basic logic here 😂 ).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Fine if you live close to the mainline station.
For me, and about 80% of the population who do not live within walking distance of a mainline railway station...
Walk to the bus, bus into town, train (no connection) to mainline station, mainline station to Euston, walk, tube to Ebsfleet.
Two walks, one bus, two trains and a tube.
Answering your question...we are discussing the number of hypothetical flies around a festering turd that will never be created.
Large numbers of travel organisations have suggested that transport to and from the park would be a major issue...
But you know best.
So by that standard, trains are useless for 80% of the population, period? Just because people have to connect with their local station... 🙈 😂

I don't care what large numbers of organisations have claimed, the timetables are there in black and white, and I can get to Ebbsfleet from any major city via train with ease. (Although the further North you start, the longer the journey, but that's just a simple geography problem, unless the suggestion is that everything is built in Derbyshire as it's central, I'd be more than happy with that.)

By the way, more than 15M people live in just the top 3 major cities of the UK. with 23.8M living in the top ten cities... The UK population is 67M, that's 35.5% of the UK population living in the top ten cities, and 64.5% outside. Nowhere near 80%.

Then when you consider most of the smaller cities, and many of the larger towns also enjoy excellent links to London, you surely have to admit that your 80% stat was utter nonsense?

I'm pulling figures from the air now, but I'd be willing to bet my pension that more than 50% of people in England live within 10 miles of a station, that can get them to Ebsfleet in 3 changes or less.

Fun Fact... Newcastle Upon Tyne to Ebsfleet is surely the longest distance of all those I've mentioned? (I haven't verified that) but it can be done in just 1 change and 3 hours 25 minutes!!!

Edited to add: Of course, all of this is irrelevant unless they've settled their differences and stopped striking!

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Better pulling figures out of the air than from my arse.
3 changes is convenient is it?
Four trains to do a theme park day trip is beyond reason for most non thoosies.
Simple fact, it would be realistically impossible for me, even using taxis to the station, to do a day trip to this non existent park.
I have done a day trip to Thorpe.
I can't be arsed going through the half dozen transport reports over the years, from several sources, that claimed the park would increase pressure on already overcrowded services, and cause further gridlock around the M25, and the bleeding ferry that would never have crunched the peak numbers stated...
But they are all there in the references on the London Resort on wikipedia.
Feel free to look them up, I can't be bothered now the thaw has come.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Out of curiosity, I checked what my travel time would be to get to Ebbsfleet on a random Saturday.

6 hrs and 13 mins is the quickest option via public transport. If I set off now, I might make the official opening ceremony.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
I think the main thing here is that it's so accessible to mainland Europe and central London that I don't think it really has to be too easily accessible by rail to the rest of the UK for it to work. However, domestic air travel and coaches are also forms of travel that people haven't mentioned in this topic, and HS2 is also on its way.