What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
Interestingly, John Wardley and head staff from Alton Towers have implied that there will be some changes made to Nemesis when it reopens in 2024. Wardley said that there will be “a few surprises”, and Alton Towers’ Head of Guest Excellence said that there are “more details to be revealed” about Nemesis’ retrack.

So my question is; what would you like to be changed?

Personally, I do think that there is some room for improvement thematically and narratively speaking on Nemesis, when viewed from the standpoint of a themed attraction. What’s there is very good, but there’s not a whole lot there in terms of actual theming and narrative-building tools apart from the monster. I’m aware that the pit plays a big role in the ride, and I concede that the pit is incredibly impressive, but I do think that Nemesis’ actual narrative is not overly clear to the first time rider unless you do your research and know the “Nemesis story”.

I’m not saying that they need to put everyone in a preshow room and play a video, but I do think that Nemesis in its current form lacks some of the finer details that make themed experiences like Wicker Man so delightful. Wicker Man, even excluding the pre-show which very explicitly communicates the narrative, has the huge fire-breathing structure, the banners throughout the queue, the wicker structures, the rune charts, the smoke-filled tunnels, the lovely themed station, and the little details strewn through the queue and area. These things all help to indirectly build a strongly conveyed narrative, and I think that if Nemesis had some similar little details added in the area and throughout the queue, I think it would do wonders for the ride’s narrative-building and help to convey the theme more clearly.

Talking more specifically about specific elements, I would personally quite like to see the station interior get an overhaul. Given that the exterior of the station is the monster itself, I always found stepping into quite a plain metal box for the station interior slightly odd.

Personally, I’d really love it if the station were rethemed to be more like you were “entering the belly of the beast” so to speak. My thought was that they could theme the walls to be similar to the exterior, and have mangled tentacles and things on the walls to make it look like you were really inside the monster. They could even play a looping soundtrack that plays sounds to represent the monster’s breathing or heartbeat, and they could pump in smells and use some themed lighting (something like what’s on Wicker Man) to build up the atmosphere.

But what would you guys like to see changed? I’d be keen to know!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I think that the track will have the same profile, just like when Hulk was rebuilt. It is very expensive to modify the shaping / banking of a section of layout. You need to recalculate forces exerted on trains, riders and the coaster itself. It just doesn't pay off when a coaster was just fine to begin with.

Maybe Nemesis 2.0 will probably feature some cosmetic changes to the station, improved soundtrack, perhaps a lighting sequence in the station, onboard audio... TBH, I wish they would just put new track and open the ride as it was: for the sake of nostalgia. You know, if it aint broke...

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Nothing should be changed other than minor aesthetic refreshes. Please, no new or additional narrative. No exposition dumps. The aesthetics speak for themselves. Less is more.

On a semi-related note, did anyone else notice that all day on Sunday they had completely removed the annoying “Nemessisssss” man over the tannoys that wrecks the atmosphere in the station? It was a dreadful addition. I haven’t been since last Halloween so it could have gone ages ago tbh. Station was sooo much better without it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Shouldn't it be moved to ride deconstruction first?
giphy.gif

I'm not kidding though - you have been warned! :p

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
giphy.gif

I'm not kidding though - you have been warned! :p
MUST NOT SAY IT. ARGHHHHHH

To be honest i think a backwards car could be great fun. Oh i know Merlin would make you pay and capacity would be awful but man it would be better than the spinning car on Icon I'm sure.

As for changes that could make the ride better, the only things i can really think of are some more themeing elements like the odd tentacle wrapping around the track on the drop and the last turn perhaps. And Music on the trains if done well might be a nice touch.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Interestingly, John Wardley and head staff from Alton Towers have implied that there will be some changes made to Nemesis when it reopens in 2024. Wardley said that there will be “a few surprises”, and Alton Towers’ Head of Guest Excellence said that there are “more details to be revealed” about Nemesis’ retrack.

So my question is; what would you like to be changed?

Personally, I do think that there is some room for improvement thematically and narratively speaking on Nemesis, when viewed from the standpoint of a themed attraction. What’s there is very good, but there’s not a whole lot there in terms of actual theming and narrative-building tools apart from the monster. I’m aware that the pit plays a big role in the ride, and I concede that the pit is incredibly impressive, but I do think that Nemesis’ actual narrative is not overly clear to the first time rider unless you do your research and know the “Nemesis story”.

I’m not saying that they need to put everyone in a preshow room and play a video, but I do think that Nemesis in its current form lacks some of the finer details that make themed experiences like Wicker Man so delightful. Wicker Man, even excluding the pre-show which very explicitly communicates the narrative, has the huge fire-breathing structure, the banners throughout the queue, the wicker structures, the rune charts, the smoke-filled tunnels, the lovely themed station, and the little details strewn through the queue and area. These things all help to indirectly build a strongly conveyed narrative, and I think that if Nemesis had some similar little details added in the area and throughout the queue, I think it would do wonders for the ride’s narrative-building and help to convey the theme more clearly.

Talking more specifically about specific elements, I would personally quite like to see the station interior get an overhaul. Given that the exterior of the station is the monster itself, I always found stepping into quite a plain metal box for the station interior slightly odd.

Personally, I’d really love it if the station were rethemed to be more like you were “entering the belly of the beast” so to speak. My thought was that they could theme the walls to be similar to the exterior, and have mangled tentacles and things on the walls to make it look like you were really inside the monster. They could even play a looping soundtrack that plays sounds to represent the monster’s breathing or heartbeat, and they could pump in smells and use some themed lighting (something like what’s on Wicker Man) to build up the atmosphere.

But what would you guys like to see changed? I’d be keen to know!
He is also on record as saying that he was asked by Merlin what he would change about Nemesis, and replied with something along the lines of 'Nothing, do not mess with Nemesis.'

The changes that are coming to Nemesis will be purely cosmetic and ride system / computer / electronics changes. The ride experience will remain exactly the same. 👍

Matt N

CF Legend
He is also on record as saying that he was asked by Merlin what he would change about Nemesis, and replied with something along the lines of 'Nothing, do not mess with Nemesis.'

The changes that are coming to Nemesis will be purely cosmetic and ride system / computer / electronics changes. The ride experience will remain exactly the same. 👍
I think he may have been referring to cosmetic/thematic changes when he said about “surprises” rather than the ride experience itself.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't mind seeing a new colour of track - black would be pretty awesome. Obviously new trains and bringing the waterfall back. If they could adapt the pool it goes into so that it's self-contained and there's no risk of environmental impact then hopefully they can bring the blood back.

Like @Matt N I'd also like to see some improvements done to the station - giving it a Giger-esque biological look as though it was the inside of the creature would be great.

I'd also really like to see them add a tunnel over some of the lift hill - something with animatronic alien effects inside, lighting, smoke etc would be awesome and really help build anticipation as you go up the hill. Another nice addition might be covering some of the queue line as you approach the station and having some screens with a kind of mini pre-show featuring warnings from the Phalanx.

Any of those cosmetic improvements would be great and add something new to the ride without changing the layout, which none of us want.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It was only a couple of weeks back now that John Burton was tweeting regarding picking RAL colours, considering Jumanji was well underway, it's highly possible.
On one hand, the purist in me really hopes they don't change the track colour, but on the other hand, that old colour was a bugger to keep looking nice.

spicy

Giga Poster
You could argue that the current colour isn't the original colour anyway, I think they over did the orange 'rust effect' during the 2016 repaint.

When you compare 1994

1994.jpg

To todays colour:

Attachments

• repaint.jpg
    repaint.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 47