What's new

Moon Dubai

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm placing this firmly on the "never going to happen" pile, but here it is:

Canadian architectural design and intellectual property (IP) licensor Moon World Resorts (MWR) is planning a $5 billion space tourism experience and destination resort in Dubai.

The spherical resort is designed to be built in 48 months, Moon World Resorts co-founders Sandra G. Matthews and Michael R. Henderson told Arabian Business.

“Moon Dubai will be the largest and most successful modern-day tourism project within the entire MENA region, doubling annual tourism visitations to Dubai based on its global appeal, brand awareness and unique multiple integrated offerings,” said Matthews and Henderson.

Henderson said the project will “significantly impact every aspect of the emirate’s economy including tourism, transportation, commercial and residential real estate, infrastructure, financial services, aviation and space, energy, MICE, agriculture, technology and of course education”.

Moon Dubai will have a lunar surface as part of an Earth-based space tourism experience. It will include a visit to an “authentic working lunar colony”, Henderson told Forbes.
“It’s aimed at those who wish to participate in authentic space tourism at an affordable price point,” he added. To get to the lunar surface, guests will ride in a ‘moon shuttle’.

The resort, which will boast a height of 735 feet, will also include a training platform for space agencies and astronauts. There will be residential properties, as well as a spa and wellness area, an events centre, and a nightclub.

“Currently, MWR is planning a 2023 global road-show series showcasing Moon to potential regional licensees,” Henderson said.

Moon World Resorts is expected to licence four destination resorts – in North America, Europe, MENA and Asia.

Commercial spaceflight, or space tourism, is valued at more than $450 billion. Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are already offering suborbital trips, while SpaceX and Axiom are taking paying customers on orbital journeys.

moon-world-resorts-dubai-768x440.jpg

Source: https://blooloop.com/technology/news/moon-world-resorts-space-tourism-resort-dubai/

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I want some of what they're smoking. :D

Ethan

Strata Poster
I love the sheer arrogance and cockiness of these supposed projects, especially those in Dubai. They really think they're doing something huh, do they realise how goofy it all looks 😂

Remember recently they announced 'The Line' I think it was called, just an unrealistic, claustrophobic idea of what a city could (but shouldn't) be. Laughably stupid but very entertaining.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I love the sheer arrogance and cockiness of these supposed projects, especially those in Dubai. They really think they're doing something huh, do they realise how goofy it all looks 😂

Remember recently they announced 'The Line' I think it was called, just an unrealistic, claustrophobic idea of what a city could (but shouldn't) be. Laughably stupid but very entertaining.
That one was Saudi but yes completely unrealistic and mad.
Theline.JPGTheline2.JPG

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I recognize that site! It's kinda famous in skyscraper enthusiast circles.

That "moon" is proposed for the site of the ill-fated "Dubai Pearl", possibly one of the most bungled construction projects in history. It was initially envisioned as a cluster of 300m tall skyscrapers. Construction started, got underway, then stranded. Somebody took up the project again, figured it needed a re-design, tore down what was already built, started construction again, and then it all stranded once again.

But along the way, most of the floor space in the skyscrapers had already been sold, and multiple investors were looking for some return on their invested money. So the whole project is in deep, deep debt. And whoever buys the site will have to clear out the weathered ruins of the stranded construction project, now corroded and mostly useless. The ground works on site are already in place for the stranded skyscraper design, so that would have to be worked around or torn up too.

All in all, I've heard it would take something like two billion dollars just to get the site back to zero. At the moment, it's worth billions of dollars less than nothing. I don't have high hopes for anything proposed there unless a court declares to clear the debt of everyone involved.

Plus, it's in the middle of a huge highway roundabout. Very noisy and without easy access from anywhere. So yeah, put this on the "pie in the sky" pile.

Ethan

Strata Poster
What the hell am I even looking at? What does building a city like this even accomplish?
Nothing, other than to look cool I guess. It completely contradicts how real cities begin, grow and function.

cocoa

Mega Poster
despite the silliness of The Line I actually think it looks really cool on a purely architectural level. That's some interesting design, if stupid utopian infrastructure. It would also be pretty cool to see a giant moon/Earth like that in person, I reckon

Ethan

Strata Poster
despite the silliness of The Line I actually think it looks really cool on a purely architectural level. That's some interesting design, if stupid utopian infrastructure.
Is being crammed into a tight skyscraper-corridor with light only coming from the top really utopian? 😂

rob666

Hyper Poster
In a red hot desert climate, yes.
Shade required, lots of it.
It's almost as if they have actually thought about it and planned it that way!

Changa

Mega Poster
Neither this or the line look practical in any sense. I would NEVER want to live in somewhere like the line as it looks like a scaled up version of the kowloon city alleyways with a bit of judge dread misery. But I would love to see them as a tourist, and its not my money being wasted on these projects so they can go for it!