What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Jared

Hyper Poster
They’ll put the best team they have on the ride. They also have some staff who work their who have experience operating Swarm, so they’ll likely be all over it as best they can.

Something else to note, the combined estimated throughputs of the two other rides in the area are around 1200pph. So combined with the estimated 720pph for the coaster, the area as a whole is expected to have a theoretical capacity or 1920pph. That’s quite a decent number.

If we add that to the roughly 1000pph added with the two new rides in shipwreck coast, over the two seasons they’ll have added 2920pph. That’s excluding the replacement for Jungle Bus which is due to reopen towards the end of August for another 500pph.

It all adds up.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
On a side note, I’ve noticed great scepticism online about this ride’s capacity, and whether or not the ride will hit its listed theoretical capacity.

Out of interest, what makes people so sceptical that this ride will hit its theoretical capacity of 720pph?

I only ask because the planning application lists an anticipated park time of 1 minute to reach this throughput (as the ride duration is also to be exactly 1 minute). In this operations video, Swarm (which has an extra row of restraints to check compared to what this will have) manages to dispatch the train having been parked for only 1m 5s:
(Go to 2:27)

If Thorpe can do it, why couldn’t Chessington?

Within the realm of Chessington, I actually think 720pph is a really decent capacity, and could go some way towards solving the park’s alleged issues!
720pph is not a good throughput; a park with the popularity of Chessington shouldn't be building a large coaster with anything less than a theoretical 1,000pph MINIMUM. In comparison, every major thrill coaster at Towers and Thorpe all have theoretical throughputs of at least 1,000pph, with the most being Oblivion at 1,900pph.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
720pph is not a good throughput; a park with the popularity of Chessington shouldn't be building a large coaster with anything less than a theoretical 1,000pph MINIMUM. In comparison, every major thrill coaster at Towers and Thorpe all have theoretical throughputs of at least 1,000pph, with the most being Oblivion at 1,900pph.
I will say that you are using TRPH as a baseline. Emphasis on the T. Theoretical - most coasters at the two parks you mentioned are not run to capacity and will more than likely be around the number for Chessington, which as a shuttle makes sense.

Matt N

CF Legend
In fairness, most coasters at Alton and Thorpe do comfortably exceed 720pph by my reckoning (I do dispatch timings). In these two parks, 720pph as a real world throughput would definitely be on the low side.

At Alton, Rita roughly equals 720pph, and Smiler can be below it if it runs 3 trains, only getting around 600-700pph (it’s more like 750-800pph on 4, and this figure may well have increased with the return of the baggage hold), but the others all usually surpass this figure, with Oblivion usually hitting around 900pph, Wicker Man usually getting at least 950pph and mostly exceeding 1,000pph (I’ve seen it do above 1,050pph before), Thirteen usually exceeding 1,000pph (it was doing about 1,050pph on my last visit), Galactica usually exceeding 1,000pph and often getting up to 1,200pph on a good day, and Nemesis comfortably exceeding 1,000pph, with a typical figure of a little above 1,200pph.

At Thorpe, Colossus gets below 720pph (I’ve seen it do as little as 550pph before, but it was about 650pph on my most recent visit), and Saw roughly equals 720pph, but all the others exceed this figure; Stealth and Inferno both do around 850pph, and Swarm does around 950pph.

Jared

Hyper Poster
^ Swarm on Saturday was dispatching one train roughly every 3 minutes. Throughputs at all the parks vary massively from time to time. Put a solid team on the ride and it makes a huge difference.

Matt N

CF Legend
^ Swarm on Saturday was dispatching one train roughly every 3 minutes. Throughputs at all the parks vary massively from time to time. Put a solid team on the ride and it makes a huge difference.
Of course; no two days will see throughput be exactly the same, and it can vary for all kinds of reasons. However, these are timings I’ve gotten over multiple visits to both Alton Towers and Thorpe Park, and the throughputs for each ride have appeared to fall into roughly the same sort of ballpark each time I’ve visited.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
The highest throughput coaster currently at Chessington is Vampire, which very VERY rarely gets over 600pph. A manufacturers throughput and a realistic one can often be worlds apart.

The scepticism for the low throughput of this new coaster is multi-dimensional.
  • First of all - no matter how many good team members you put on a ride, there will always be at least one worker who comes along during the shift who is crap. All it takes is one bad/lazy/less staff member to utterly trash a good operational team.
  • This is massively amplified at chessington because the workforce at chessington is the youngest of all the merlin parks, so they can be overwhelmed pretty easily by standard problems that arise in day to day operation.
  • I could be wrong here but I know recently there's been real trouble staffing the rides teams as well as they have been in previous years during the summer. Maybe it's been resolved but it makes me wonder if they'll even have the luxury of putting an 'ace team' on the ride after the opening weeks.
  • You also have to remember, this is a boomerang, with one train. Comparisons to The Swarm need to stop after the ride type. It's a very different piece of kit.
  • Chessington's demographic are also the worst. Parents faff and feel the need to strap their kids in before putting themselves in a seat - again, this will be amplified by the fact this ride actually goes upside down. Bags. Bags. Hundreds of bags, everywhere. School kids. Panicky teachers. Young teenagers. A cocktail of utter mayhem when they all get on the platform together, and they all take so bloody long to do anything, even if the workers are really on it.
  • Jared makes a good point about the recent additions of the new attractions which to be honest seems like a welcome gasp from the park to help deal with some of the crowds and the supporting attractions, but I would be genuinely shocked if this ride manages to get a higher throughput than vamp. From an operational standpoint it still seems like a weird choice of attraction to install to me, but I'm welcome to the concept of being proven wrong. Chessington could really use a throughput destroyer with so many of their bigger attractions on their knees, if not aesthetically then operationally; but this just doesn't look like it to me.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Also worth remembering PPH would include Fast Track and the much abused RAP system. So if a 700PPH ride at Europa Park has a 60 minute queue for example, you can expect that figure to be 90-120 mins at a Merlin park.

Matt N

CF Legend
Also worth remembering PPH would include Fast Track and the much abused RAP system. So if a 700PPH ride at Europa Park has a 60 minute queue for example, you can expect that figure to be 90-120 mins at a Merlin park.
I thought RAP was less of an issue these days after they made changes recently?

This is a good point, though, and one I hadn’t considered.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I thought RAP was less of an issue these days after they made changes recently?

Even if it's less of an issue, it's still consistently going to likely be 2-4 seats most cycles which are out of action. Take those away, plus however many use the queue jump system, include guest faff and natural staff fatigue, and that 720pph easily drops to around 600pph from the main queue as a maximum. All adds up quickly.

Also, on the note of the park adding in lots of new rides to increase the total park hourly throughput. It's a good thing, and does help. But ultimately when people come wanting to ride the big new exciting roller coaster, it doesn't quite help.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
While I'm not massively excited for the ride, it does please me that the UK is getting another B&M, 6 in total. No other European country has more than 4 (Spain & Germany), so that at least is quite cool.
I would still have preferred our next B&M to be the hyper at Thorpe, but oh well, I guess this'll have to do.
The other downside is, this not being an S&S Axis coaster means I don't get that free round of drinks we talked about a few pages back, so that sucks. 😐

spicy

Giga Poster
Wouldn't the track for this have been fabricated a long time ago? Or do they actually fabricate the track that close to installation?

Indy

Hyper Poster
Wouldn't the track for this have been fabricated a long time ago? Or do they actually fabricate the track that close to installation?
It depends on a number of factors, but it's often fabricated pretty close to installation time. In some cases, pieces of track will even be in fabrication while other pieces are already being installed on site.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
With tomorrow being "National Roller Coaster Day", it seems like a good way to try and generate some extra eyes and announce the coaster at least. Because, of course, the masses still don't know a coaster is being built