What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The unique selling point? probably just the trains.

Thats what I'm getting at though, all we've seen of the train designs is that it has some suspension in the seats. It may be unique and new for B&M, but it's not a SELLING point. Like how on earth do you market that?! There must be something that we're missing that will be shown when it is announced.

The USP I could imagine would be going back to the name of surf coaster, perhaps the riding position will be standing up facing sideways to the direction of travel as if on a surf board. Maybe the seats could rotate at the start giving the option of riding regular or goofy. Maybe the suspension aspect could be related to a board you stand on so you flex your knees as you ride, maybe that could even be tied in to some sort of scoring system awarding points for perfect balance as you ride the waves of track?

The USP I could imagine would be going back to the name of surf coaster, perhaps the riding position will be standing up facing sideways to the direction of travel as if on a surf board. Maybe the seats could rotate at the start giving the option of riding regular or goofy. Maybe the suspension aspect could be related to a board you stand on so you flex your knees as you ride, maybe that could even be tied in to some sort of scoring system awarding points for perfect balance as you ride the waves of track?
Now that sounds cool

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
Thats what I'm getting at though, all we've seen of the train designs is that it has some suspension in the seats. It may be unique and new for B&M, but it's not a SELLING point. Like how on earth do you market that?! There must be something that we're missing that will be shown when it is announced.
I agree, if this is just a normal launch coaster with maybe the exception of some suspension in the seating then it is far too much like Ice Breaker - so has no USP and is very similar to another coaster in the park.

The only way it makes sense is if the Surf coaster is a next-gen stand-up coaster, which would make sense considering what is involved in surfing. If it is then it would likely also be facing sideways.

F65E8A3F-F22F-489E-8E86-9E4C9B8248BB.jpeg

This is from further up the chat from a patent, which supposedly translates as being able to move up and down during the ride - this would once again make sense when relating to surfing. It would presumably put more of the force of your weight into your legs rather than into your groin, which would certainly make it more comfortable.

This would also make it perfect for marketing.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Maybe something like the Axis coaster? Standing up, but with a (probably gentle amount of) swing in the ‘seats’. Like you’d be surfing a wave.

ThatsNotAGiga

Roller Poster
Maybe something like the Axis coaster? Standing up, but with a (probably gentle amount of) swing in the ‘seats’. Like you’d be surfing a wave.
That sounds like a cool idea, only concern I have would be the “bike seat” coming up unexpectedly and ummm you know. Also I doubt the way you stand is sideways, the restraint would block your view. Face it, this is B&M, we’re only getting a standup with vest restraints. Improvement?

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
For F*ck sake. WHY! I could understand a sit down launch coaster maybe with that cool vertical motion design, but this. Stupid!!
Well, we don't have a name, but we finally know what the Surf Coaster is. Congratulations, those who predicted next-gen standup.

I thought is was very likely not to be a regular sit down launch coaster as they already just built one of a similar size at Seaworld Orlando. And it was already likely considering it’s called the Surf coaster (and in surfing you stand up), and there were blueprints for new B&M standup restraints. The vertical motion will presumably allow more of the force to go to your legs, which should make it more comfortable.