What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Energylandia has the best ‘top 2 coasters’ of any park in the world.

By that I mean that I think there are parks that potentially have ‘a’ coaster that could beat Zadra in my rankings… (Cedar Point for example.) But I can’t imagine there are any parks that have 2 coasters that would beat both Zadra and Hyperion…
Depending on personal preferences, I think IOA is a legitimate contender to take on Energylandia in that regard.

Matt N

CF Legend
I've never been, admittedly, but I reckon Cedar Point would compete with EL for many, too; Steel Vengeance and Maverick are both phenomenally rated!
EDIT: Ignore me, I've already said Cedar Point. I do reckon Phantasialand might be a solid contender for it too, dependent on what you think to FLY; that thing has had some surprisingly phenomenal ratings, and you of course have the phenomenally rated Taron as well!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've never been, admittedly, but I reckon Cedar Point would compete with EL for many, too; Steel Vengeance and Maverick are both phenomenally rated!
EDIT: Ignore me, I've already said Cedar Point. I do reckon Phantasialand might be a solid contender for it too, dependent on what you think to FLY; that thing has had some surprisingly phenomenal ratings, and you of course have the phenomenally rated Taron as well!

A lot of people suggest that Cedar Point may be in with a shout, but how many prefer Maverick to Taron? Yet Taron and Hyperion keep trading places for me. And only because of the 'full package' that Taron is, without the theming it wouldn't be so close.

Phantasialand is a close contender, but not nearly 'close enough.' Most of the love for their coasters, including my own, comes from the fact that they're full package experiences.

Depending on personal preferences, I think IOA is a legitimate contender to take on Energylandia in that regard.

I can't wait to visit in Sept. It will almost certainly come down to where I place Hagrid's, as Velocicoaster looks certain to be up there.

Matt N

CF Legend
A lot of people suggest that Cedar Point may be in with a shout, but how many prefer Maverick to Taron? Yet Taron and Hyperion keep trading places for me. And only because of the 'full package' that Taron is, without the theming it wouldn't be so close.
Quite a few prefer Maverick to Taron, actually, particularly where only the track and train coaster is concerned. In Captain Coaster’s April 2022 poll, Maverick is actually 5 spots higher than Taron, and that likely takes Taron’s theming into account to a degree too, as members do sometimes rate things with “theming” as a factor taken into account: https://captaincoaster.com/en/ranking/?filters[continent]=&filters[country]=&filters[materialType]=&filters[seatingType]=&filters[model]=&filters[manufacturer]=&filters[openingDate]=&page=1

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard quite a few fairly well-travelled people who’ve been to CP say that SteVe and Maverick are their #1 and #2.

Although in fairness, it does all come down to what you think of each park’s coasters. CC suggests that Energylandia has the 2nd most highly rated one-two punch behind Cedar Point (Zadra & Hyperion are #2 and #19, while SteVe & Maverick are #1 and #12, so CP does average out a bit higher), but that’s by no means a right or wrong answer; if you don’t think Maverick is all that and absolutely love Hyperion, for instance, then I could certainly see why Energylandia might present itself as a stronger duo for you. On the flip side, if you don’t rate Hyperion that highly, but love Maverick, then I could see a scenario where Cedar Point’s duo might be more your style. It’s all a matter of opinion.
(I used Hyperion & Maverick because I assumed that most would rate SteVe and Zadra fairly similarly, what with them both being 200ft RMC hybrids and both sharing some rather similar elements)

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Unfortunately FLY just isn't in the same league as Hyperion, Maverick, or Taron. Let alone the RMCs.
Its a great coaster for what it is, but it's not quite a worldwide top 20 coaster.

So for that reason, PL is out.

Taron is significantly better than Maverick too, multiple night rides on Taron is one of the best experiences you can have on a coaster imo.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I can’t speak in relation to Cedar Point, but I think IOA’s and EL’s top two dramatically and amusingly wee all over PL’s (from a great height).

Indy

Hyper Poster
I can’t speak in relation to Cedar Point, but I think IOA’s and EL’s top two dramatically and amusingly wee all over PL’s (from a great height).
Certainly an interesting take, but I think I might have found yet another uncommon opinion of mine.

I agree that VelociCoaster is better than anything at Phantasialand (Disclaimer: I haven't ridden FLY), but then it's a pretty big drop off for me. Yes, Hagrid is fantastic and Hulk is intense, but I still prefer Taron, Black Mamba, and Winjas to both. For that reason, IOA isn't even in the discussion for best 1-2.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Hyperion is such an inconsistent ride. You really need a hand book how to ride it. Front row middle seat is one of my favourite rides. Back row side seat is awful. So how should I rate Hyperion? Based on my best experience? My worst experience? An average of the two? How do you guys rate Hyperion?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Hyperion is such an inconsistent ride. You really need a hand book how to ride it. Front row middle seat is one of my favourite rides. Back row side seat is awful. So how should I rate Hyperion? Based on my best experience? My worst experience? An average of the two? How do you guys rate Hyperion?
I just don’t ride the wing seats, anywhere on the train… It’s almost always quiet enough to be that picky haha.

You’re right though, it does make a hell of a difference. The wing seats are not bad in warm and still weather. But any cold or wind and they’re horrendous.

BTW for me, back middle is my favourite. The ejector on that drop is insane!

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
The old Maverick vs Taron debate is an interesting one.

Weird as it sounds they're completely different rides. Taron's in my top 5 and Maverick sneaks into the top 10.

I think it's fair to say Maverick is the better layout and it's more intense with better airtime.

I rate Taron more highly because of the superior trains and restraints. If CP ever do a Maverick 2.0 with the newer Intamin trains I genuinely think it would be my number 1.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I wonder if Skyrush suffers from the same, almost ‘buffeting’ like, roughness on it’s wing seats.

Buffeting is great way to explain it. It isn't the same as the old school roughness. It's almost like the B&M rattle with some minor SLC hints but not as profound as the SLC experience. Unlike the SLC (with vests) the Hyperion wing seats are ridable without leaving you numb but still not a comfortable ride. The SLCs without vests are just pure torture.

Haven't ridden Skyrush. Flying Aces doesn't do it.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Nick over-hypes Energylandia. They don't make 'em like they used to ;)

(Except vekoma, who also don't make 'em like they used to, but that's a good thing)

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I haven't actually seen someone disagree but I think countdowns and spiels are far better than 'blind' launches/drop tower releases. I also enjoy them happening in the middle of the countdown, but when there's nothing at all it just feels like something is missing.

Even if its an incredibly quick announcement, still it's better than nothing.