What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Saudi Arabia completely lacks free press. Qatar is an equally totalitarian state but they have in my opinion the best news company in the world, Al Jazeera. Pretty bizarre. Highly recommend watching Al Jazeera, their journalism is top notch for everything not regarding Qatar.
They’re definitely anti-Israel but asides from that the reporting is solid. Then again, when the government-funded CBC is your country’s go-to program, almost anything is a cut above such.

llcooljamez

Roller Poster
This is my opinion, Personally, I do not think this park will be built any time soon, if at all. This park is too much of a headache, the six flags chain can not deal with more debt right now, unless they sell one or two of their worst performing parks. I heard they did break ground but even if the park is built, i am guessing that attendance will be low, I really want to see this park be built, but it will most likely be abandoned before completed

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This is my opinion, Personally, I do not think this park will be built any time soon, if at all. This park is too much of a headache, the six flags chain can not deal with more debt right now, unless they sell one or two of their worst performing parks. I heard they did break ground but even if the park is built, i am guessing that attendance will be low, I really want to see this park be built, but it will most likely be abandoned before completed
Six flags isn't financing thing park in anyway. Infact they are being paid for the use of the SF name. Qiddiya are financing and building the whole resort so shouldn't be any issues with SF finance problems.

Christian

Hyper Poster
They’re definitely anti-Israel but asides from that the reporting is solid. Then again, when the government-funded CBC is your country’s go-to program, almost anything is a cut above such.

Indeed. They will also always refrain from criticising Qatar in any way. But, they are also the bravest when it comes to reporting on the Israel-Palestine conflict. I remember last year when they constantly provided live coverage of the conflict and even after their office got destroyed they where back live a couple of minutes later. Our Swedish government-funded SVT didn't even dare sending someone up close. They were reporting from Cairo.

When it comes to war reporting and investigative journalism Al Jazeera are top notch. Incredibly brave journalists and they usually show both sides of an issue.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Six flags isn't financing thing park in anyway. Infact they are being paid for the use of the SF name. Qiddiya are financing and building the whole resort so shouldn't be any issues with SF finance problems.

It amazes me how someone would pay to use the brand of a mediocre theme park chain.

Rzx

Roller Poster
Here in the UK it would be difficult to come across a member of the general public who knows what Six Flags is, I’d imagine this is also the case in Saudi.
I agree with you as a Saudi citizen myself it's not known but it's better than qiddiya park six flags it's a western company so they hope it's drive tourism and bring people to the park

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
are there people surfing in the wave pool??
Looks to be one of those artificial surf pools that have been becoming trendy over the last couple of years. There's new waterparks being built around the world right now that center solely around these surf pools and wave generators, so its not surprising that Qiddaya is planning one. If you look at the pool on the park layout (top image in my post above), you can see that it's entirely different from the actual wave pool. I've also placed the wave pool and surf pool artwork images back to back to contrast them.

Christian

Hyper Poster
These people in the renders look so dressed. Wonder if they are building a water park or just a glorified park?

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
As for the context of that Random construction photo above, they're doing piling work in order to reinforce the soil below ground. The process was apparently finished ahead of schedule on the water park construction site (567 of them), and is now underway for the actual SF Qiddaya park.
qiddiya-water-theme-park-47449300.jpg
qiddiya-water-theme-park-17017800.jpg
IMG_5436.JPG

Meanwhile, concept images have surfaced depicting the hotel interior overlooking the waterpark.
qiddiya-water-theme-park-02319500.jpg
qiddiya-water-theme-park-99536800.jpg

Source & Source & Source

Christian

Hyper Poster
The fact that this might actually happen is nuts. Though, maybe not, considering that Riyadh has about 8 million people and there is no competition outside of the UAE which is a 2 hour flight away.

Anyways, it will certainly be an interesting construction to follow and I really look forward to checking it out ones it opens.

Although I am 99% sure that SF will somehow pull themselves out of it before opening.

llcooljamez

Roller Poster
The fact that this might actually happen is nuts. Though, maybe not, considering that Riyadh has about 8 million people and there is no competition outside of the UAE which is a 2 hour flight away.

Anyways, it will certainly be an interesting construction to follow and I really look forward to checking it out ones it opens.

Although I am 99% sure that SF will somehow pull themselves out of it before opening.
yeah this will be insane if it does actually get built. No nearby competition. But i dont think six flags will pull out since quiddya is paying six flags to use the chain name