What's new

Universal Studios Japan | Mine-Cart Madness | "Boom Coaster" {Rumour} | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. According to RCDB, Universal Studios Japan has begun construction on a roller coaster being added as an expansion to Super Nintendo World: https://rcdb.com/19528.htm

Apparently, the ride is speculated to be themed to Donkey Kong, and in terms of what it’s going to be; rumours suggest a “Boom Coaster”, a new type of ride patented by Universal where instead of being mounted to the track it appears you’re riding on, the wheels are mounted to another track below you, in order to give the illusion of you jumping over gaps in the track like Donkey Kong does in the DK games.

Certainly sounds interesting, don’t you think? I’m intrigued to see how this one pans out, for sure…

Peet

Giga Poster
So the patent is owned by Universal rather than a manufacturer? I guess they'd have to persuade a manufacturer to develop it into an actual coaster model, but presumably Universal wouldn't allow the manufacturer to offer it to other customers...?

peep

CF Legend
There was footage of the test coaster for the concept at Vekoma but I can't seem to find that standalone video. Alicia has some of it in her video covering the rumours surrounding this expansion (around the 2 min mark):

Matt N

CF Legend
There was footage of the test coaster for the concept at Vekoma but I can't seem to find that standalone video. Alicia has some of it in her video covering the rumours surrounding this expansion (around the 2 min mark):

Wouldn’t it be S&S if it were in Utah?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Will RCDB make a new “style” (Sitdown, Wing, etc.) category for this ride?

I imagine it will just be classed as sitdown as it is a sitdown riding position. its just really got taller cars.
Similar to how the SFX coasters are classed as sitdown but are under the Model Line SFX Coaster

Matt N

CF Legend
I believe it's Setpoint. This video was taken at (and ride was set up at) the manufacturing company Petersen Inc., which is just 10 minutes from Setpoint in Ogden, Utah. Probably set it up there as there's more space available and Petersen was probably responsible for the physical manufacturing.
Ah right; that would make sense, as Universal have worked with Setpoint a fair bit before!

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
...aww, really? Always beat me to the punch.

Also holy **** 2024. Well, at least we'll see if Six Flags Qiddiya is a thing before then!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The worlds “First*” Donkey Kong themed area.

It’s a little… desperate. But, the caveat “*” does amuse me 🤗

UP87

Mega Poster
*Based on Universal Studios Japan's in-house research of facilities based on the world of Nintendo brand characters.

It's not like Nintendo should know who has a license to use their characters. They reuse the phrase their partner coined. With the asterisk.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I really wish I had some sort of connection to the Nintendo IP, because I really struggle to get excited for this...
Glad someone else feels the same as I do. I'm excited to see the ride system for Donkey Kong in action, but that's about it.