What's new

Fantasiana | Fridolins verrückter Zauberexpress | ART Engineering Kiddie Multi-Launch Coaster |2021

richardcrete

Mega Poster
Airtimers.com have released a exclusive article and podcast about austrian park Fantasiana's 2021 new coaster. In addition to Pax "Wild Train", the park will open Project "Merlin" :

Il will be a Multi Launch Coaster designed by ART Engineering (Mack Rides is responsible for the tracks production), which will have 5 tire propelled launches (wtf), 50-60km/h max speed, on about 500 metters long ! Le coaster will be accessible from 90cm, like the many Children's Roller Coaster that opened over last years (Ba-a-a Express, Noisette Express, Mine 1771, Duplo Dino Coaster...)

Simon Spitzbart, Fantasiania's Marketing Director describe this coaster as an "My first Rollercoaster" experience. Theme will be realised by Universal Rocks, soundtrack by IMAscore (a snippet is available in the podcast) and the park promise a long story, special effects and un a nice sophisticated design (more details are availables in the podcast, but I don't speak German very good).

Some pics of the construction site dated of the february 1rst, assembly is not finished yet :

Fantasiana1.jpg

Fantasiana2.jpg

Fantasiana3.jpg

Fantasiana5.jpg

Fantasiana7.jpg

Fantasiana8.jpg

Fantasiana9.jpg

Fantasiana11.jpg
Fantasiana13.jpg
Fantasiana14.jpg

Fantasiana15.jpg
Fantasiana16.jpg

Fantasiana17.jpg

Fantasiana18.jpg
Fantasiana19.jpg
Fantasiana20.jpg
Fantasiana21.jpg
Fantasiana22.jpg
Fantasiana23.jpg

Source :

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Actually looks quite nice! Something different I guess, but probably not a patch on the Intamin ones. At least it will probably be smooth if Mack is making the track.

Surely though, if the track (and possibly the supports?) are made by Mack, then it's a Mack coaster? What actually defines who a coaster is made by? The company who designs it? I'm gonna guess ART are building the trains though.

Peet

Giga Poster
What a great looking kiddie cred!

Surely though, if the track (and possibly the supports?) are made by Mack, then it's a Mack coaster? What actually defines who a coaster is made by? The company who designs it? I'm gonna guess ART are building the trains though.
It sounds like Mack are basically acting as a fabricator, ie following ART fabrication drawings to ART's specifications. ART will be supplying the complete ride to the park, therefore they are the manufacturer, even though they subcontracted part of the work to Mack (and they will certainly have lots of other subcontractors, like all manufacturers do).

richardcrete

Mega Poster
Something about the lack of spine on this makes me feel uncomfortable. Like I know there are plenty of 2 tube tracks out there, just the way the cross ties are shaped just feels slightly wrong.
I tested Noisette Express at his opening this year, and I noticed some rattles. The park told me that it was a problem in the train and that it will be corriged during the season, but finally no. 😅 We will see with this coaster that will be more sensationnal.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
5 launches over 500m? That's 100m per launch on average.

So what obscure records does that have?

Surely this is the lowest 'meters of track per launch' of any full circuit coaster put there?
And it might even be the lowest 'meters travelled per launch' too? Hard to know as the data for length travelled on half-pipe like rides (Pulsar, Wicked Twisters, etc) is not as readily available.

Not that it means anything of course, but a nice geeky tidbit for sure.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I can't really see what's so "Merlin" about this. Why isn't the track black? Where are all the shipping containers? Why isn't it marketed as the most thrilling/dangerous/psychologically scarring thing ever? Where in the ride's story is the dark, evil, evilness of darkness that only a few riders escape from alive? It looks neither dreary nor dilapidated either. Heck, one almost gets the impression they are spending more money than the strictly necessary minimum.

0/10, not enough dystopia to warrant the brand.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I can't really see what's so "Merlin" about this. Why isn't the track black? Where are all the shipping containers? Why isn't it marketed as the most thrilling/dangerous/psychologically scarring thing ever? Where in the ride's story is the dark, evil, evilness of darkness that only a few riders escape from alive? It looks neither dreary nor dilapidated either. Heck, one almost gets the impression they are spending more money than the strictly necessary minimum.

0/10, not enough dystopia to warrant the brand.
It's definitely every ride you've ever wanted wrapped into one! Don't forget the preride disclaimers!!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I have to admit, this may be the shortest time ever in modern coaster history between us even knowing about the coaster and the completion of the trackwork of said coaster. Sure we knew they had something in the works until a couple of weeks ago, but that was it. It's amazing how well they kept this secret for so long.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have to admit, this may be the shortest time ever in modern coaster history between us even knowing about the coaster and the completion of the trackwork of said coaster.
Flashbacks to Phaethon, which if memory serves correctly had actually opened before the enthusiast community learned about it. Not sure whether you'd count that as "modern", though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Flashbacks to Phaethon, which if memory serves correctly had actually opened before the enthusiast community learned about it. Not sure whether you'd count that as "modern", though.
Really? Surely some enthusiast somewhere must have known that Gyeongju World were building a coaster prior to Phaethon opening?

But if not, I guess the park must just keep secrets very well!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Yeah the first the wider community knew about it, it was already open. That's the last time I can remember that actually happening.

The knowledge of parks in the far East wasnt great back then but was getting better. Before that in late 90s and early 00 it wasn't that uncommon for rides like Gambit or Pyrenees to open in Japan with no one outside of maybe ACE or similar having a clue.

At the time the RCDB was USA only as well so info was thin on the ground.

Things have changed a lot in 20 years

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
Wonder if they named the coaster after Sweden's ex-education minister Gustav Fridolin

Gustav_Fridolin.1c550_3788.jpg

Last edited: