What's new

Coaster Engineering/Mechanism

CoasteNgineer

Roller Poster
Hi everyone!
I'm new on this site. My name is Adry, and I'm a Mechanical Engineer based on Spain 🇪🇸
I pretend to do an "ask/answer" forum in order to bring a closer look of the Roller Coaster Mechanisms🎢⚙️, so, do not hesitate to aks the doubts/curiosities about these wonderful engineering devices.

For example (about B&M HyperCoasters).
Did you know that there is an small CI engine that, in a blackout event, runs in order to keep the train climbing the lift hill? Does anyonew know the manufacturer of this engine?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2021-02-08 a las 15.59.33.png
    Captura de pantalla 2021-02-08 a las 15.59.33.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 45

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Hi everyone!
I'm new on this site. My name is Adry, and I'm a Mechanical Engineer based on Spain 🇪🇸
I pretend to do an "ask/answer" forum in order to bring a closer look of the Roller Coaster Mechanisms🎢⚙️, so, do not hesitate to aks the doubts/curiosities about these wonderful engineering devices.

For example (about B&M HyperCoasters).
Did you know that there is an small CI engine that, in a blackout event, runs in order to keep the train climbing the lift hill? Does anyonew know the manufacturer of this engine?
Some B&M Flyer's also have this

Dar

Hyper Poster
Are those motors for getting an empty train back to the brakes during a power cut? I assume a power cut is an e-stop and evac event?

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Are those motors for getting an empty train back to the brakes during a power cut? I assume a power cut is an e-stop and evac event?
Usually if it's empty it's left, if it's full it's quicker and easier (especially flyers) to power it over the top and evac on the brake run.
Estops can be reset so usually not, more of a ride system shut down or power loss

Reactions: Dar
Usually if it's empty it's left, if it's full it's quicker and easier (especially flyers) to power it over the top and evac on the brake run.
Estops can be reset so usually not, more of a ride system shut down or power loss

Indeed, evacuation is a last resort only if the train can't be moved by other means.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How do you evac a flyer? Seems very difficult and dangerous.
They have a platform that slides up the lift hill and allows them to build a temporary platform underneath each row of the train. Here's a pic from Google:
9719070-16x9-xlarge.jpg

It seems to be a Deutz engine (by the engine color), but i dont find any model

Could be, that would make it the same as the backup engine used on Kumali at Flamingoland.

Not at all dangerous, more dangerous crossing the road

Evacuation is dangerous, that's why it should only ever be done as a last resort. You have to go through a whole list of options to recover the train before you can even consider evacuation away from the station platform.

CoasteNgineer

Roller Poster
Could be, that would make it the same as the backup engine used on Kumali at Flamingoland.

Evacuation is dangerous, that's why it should only ever be done as a last resort. You have to go through a whole list of options to recover the train before you can even consider evacuation away from the station platform.
do you know the type?

VonRolland

Hyper Poster

They aren't dangerous if procedure is followed to the T same with many things in life

Christian

Hyper Poster
They have a platform that slides up the lift hill and allows them to build a temporary platform underneath each row of the train. Here's a pic from Google:
9719070-16x9-xlarge.jpg

Thanks! Always though they had to call the fire truck to evac. I got stopped ones for a couple of seconds on Tatsu's lift hill. Was so exited to see what would happen. But then sadly the train started moving.

They aren't dangerous if procedure is followed to the T same with many things in life

You can have all the procedures in the world but they only serve to reduce the risk, they will never make something 100% safe. As soon as you release the harness, there is a risk that the person can fall to the ground, you reduce that risk by providing things like fall arrest harnesses and edge protection railings. Even with those steps taken, there is still a risk that someone can fall, but now they won't hit the floor.

costar

Mega Poster
I'm not sure I agree with this idea that evacs are a last resort / dangerous / should be avoided, etc. It's an interesting topic but I can tell you some of the major players in the industry would much rather evac a train if there's anything unknown at play. I read above "Estops can be reset" implying 'just send the passengers back around', but that's not a healthy attitude in my book. A lot of rides will require you to switch to Maintenance mode to reset and that should never be done with passengers on the train (Maintenance mode... clue's in the name!) so no, I would say evacuating instead can be healthy in many cases. Sorry if some parks disagree!

Regarding the specific engine type for backup on a B&M hyper, sorry, I can't help you!