What's new

Lightning Rod Status

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So I've got some interesting updates on LRod's re-track:-

Video by Themes N' Thrills.

So from this, we know that all the track from at least the top of the quad down to the brake run will be IBox. Also, everything from the turn out of the station to the top of the main drop will also be IBox. However, it seems like most of the main drop will remain Topper, except for the valley of it. As to which other parts of the ride are getting converted is still a mystery currently. All in all, this is very interesting!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
All topper tracks use IBox for the transfer.
So they do, never noticed that, weird. Mainly because looking for what transfer tracks are made out of isn't really on my itinerary, but I stand corrected. Makes sense why they'd make the transfer track out of all steel though.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
This should be the final result of the retracking. 57% IBox is the magic number and I think this adds up from the indicators you can see on the ride
View attachment 11005
Orange: Topper Track
Brown: new IBox
I find it a little weird why they don’t make that tiny section on the second hill just all steel instead of just having a little topper there...maybe stress on track isnt bad there my guess

UP87

Mega Poster
Okay, I'm taking bets... How long until the rest of the track is converted to IBox?

Edit: Not actually taking bets. Please don't message me. Don't throw too many years into this thread. I just assume by the look of it that whenever the next track refurbishment is required they might just opt to change this to IBox, as well.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I wonder how much of this replacement's cost is on RMC. After all, Lightning Rod is not that old and it was a prototype...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
We've had this conversation before. Surely it would be RMC forking the bill considering they delivered essentially a faulty product? And would they not want to keep up their reputation?

On a side note, I LOVE the track colour of the IBox. Looks kind of like Time Traveler or Dragon Mountain grey.

Last edited:

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I find it a little weird why they don’t make that tiny section on the second hill just all steel instead of just having a little topper there...maybe stress on track isnt bad there my guess
Low stress area that really didn't need retracking is probably the reason. I'd rather the whole drop be IBox just so there isn't 2 extra "transition" sections between track types (which I really hope don't end up being rough in a few years... otherwise you'll be looking at that other 43% being retracked pretty soon 😄 )

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
At least as far of the first drop is concerned, the part of the first drop not being retracked is the part where the only part of the train making contact with the the track is the upstop wheels, at least according to what Pete had shown us back on the 2016 Live.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed, for three reasons.

They haven't returned the trains to the former glory, and the launch still looks slower than how it used to be. They've literally done the bare minimum they needed to do. Also it looks a bit **** with a lot of the trees missing.

jay37415

Mega Poster
I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed, for three reasons.

They haven't returned the trains to the former glory, and the launch still looks slower than how it used to be. They've literally done the bare minimum they needed to do. Also it looks a bit **** with a lot of the trees missing.
We have now returned to stage 20 of Hixee’s guide to construction threads. 🤣

Honestly I think it looks close to where it was opening day. But here is a 2016 comparison.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Glad they changed the zero-car, the old one looked a bit goofy. Would've been nice if they'd at least closed up the back car though 🤣

The launch looks a similar final speed but the new testing video seems to slow more at the bottom of the lift before the next launch gets going?