What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
From what I’ve read on other zoo pages, they were technically allowed to open any time they pleased until they were added to the official ‘closed businesses’ list this week with the updates documented recently in this thread. They will still be allowed to open at some point from July, and if they expected to open any earlier than that, it was probably wishful thinking.

The technical stuff I think is an easy get out of jail free card the government may use when zoos do go under.
If they do use that, I would be even more annoyed at the situation.
Everyone knows these places have been closed including the idiots drumming up the stupid conflicting rules.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The technical stuff I think is an easy get out of jail free card the government may use when zoos do go under.
If they do use that, I would be even more annoyed at the situation.
Everyone knows these places have been closed including the idiots drumming up the stupid conflicting rules.

What they have done is simply to put zoo (and theme park) closure into law... Previously, up to this week, it was technically voluntary. This is to give them control over when these venues open their doors back up, nothing more, nothing less. And rightly so too.

Doesn’t change anything, doesn’t change the date on which they will receive blessing to safely open... All it means is that they cannot take it up on themselves to open their doors before the government deem it as safe to do so.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
While Belgian themeparks were due to open again on June 8th, today it was announced by the government that all our Belgian parks will reopen on July 1st. Finally!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Too add onto the new government guidelines today about Zoo’s not being allowed to open, despite non-essential shops reopening in two weeks, safari parks are also now not allowed to reopen either, despite you not coming into contact with anyone due to being in your own vehicle.

I’ve got to say, I’ve lost any little faith I had in our government after hearing this, these places need visitors to cover costs of feeding and caring for they’re animals! I find it so bizarre that vast open spaces like zoos aren’t allowed to open yet Primark is, it just doesn’t make sense!
25aa591dcb1a382f2da8e17145b30f3d.jpg

Professor

Too add onto the new government guidelines today about Zoo’s not being allowed to open, despite non-essential shops reopening in two weeks, safari parks are also now not allowed to reopen either, despite you not coming into contact with anyone due to being in your own vehicle.

I’ve got to say, I’ve lost any little faith I had in our government after hearing this, these places need visitors to cover costs of feeding and caring for they’re animals! I find it so bizarre that vast open spaces like zoos aren’t allowed to open yet Primark is, it just doesn’t make sense!
Agreed.
I think this one about zoos and safari parks is a particular disgrace considering what's at stake. The Chesire West MP is trying to make a stand.

Not one MP brought this up during Prime Minister's questions today. It was all the obvious "condemn this and say that or we think you are not nice" bs.

I would even accept theme parks not opening in 2020 in the UK now (not that it would be wise) as long as zoos and their animals are ok.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
I can’t see how Alton Towers are getting away with opening this weekend
Gov explicitly say theme parks can’t open
Even if they are not running rides they are listed as a Theme Park :rolleyes:
By that logic any theme park could open if they didn’t run any rides

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I can’t see how Alton Towers are getting away with opening this weekend
Gov explicitly say theme parks can’t open
Even if they are not running rides they are listed as a Theme Park :rolleyes:
By that logic any theme park could open if they didn’t run any rides
Because it's a garden, like it was pre 80's. Just because it's got ride's in it doesn't mean it should be classed as a theme park currently, Drayton or TP for example don't really have gardens so they definitely cant just open

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Because it's a garden, like it was pre 80's. Just because it's got ride's in it doesn't mean it should be classed as a theme park currently, Drayton or TP for example don't really have gardens so they definitely cant just open

Yes, but Drayton have a zoo which should really be allowed to open if we are letting public gardens open. We need to try and save our zoos and the animals rather than letting people go on a jolly in Kew Gardens and Alton towers.

I’ve got to say, with reports of massive parties in London, combined with all these protests (where there is no social distancing) a second wave in the UK looks on the horizon. I wouldn’t be surprised if in July the NHS was overwhelmed again. The deaths still aren’t falling in comparison to the trend the other countries have followed and that makes me really think we are unlocking too soon and opening the wrong things, first.

I’m bracing for a second wave, I just don’t think we’ve suppressed transmission enough before opening up our economy, like other countries have.

rob666

Hyper Poster
From my last visit to Drayton, the zoo needs shutting for good.
Not really of an acceptable standard.

Reactions: Dar

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Agreed.
I think this one about zoos and safari parks is a particular disgrace considering what's at stake. The Chesire West MP is trying to make a stand.

Not one MP brought this up during Prime Minister's questions today. It was all the obvious "condemn this and say that or we think you are not nice" bs.

I would even accept theme parks not opening in 2020 in the UK now (not that it would be wise) as long as zoos and their animals are ok.

I am actually gob smacked that safaris cannot open!!! Surely this is more due to lazy legislation than any ‘actual thinking?’ As in, they’ve been bundled in with zoos by lazy legislators...

Andrew many Zoo’s have put things into place to allow the public to support them. You might be surprised what sharing this info on social media, and exhibiting the same passion you’re showing here can do...

In fact, for anybody else reading this who cares about animals, regardless of your opinions on zoos and captivity, it’s the animals that will suffer... Here is a list of a handful of pages where you can help...

There are more that need our help... Honestly if you can afford it, put some of the money you’ve saved not visiting parks during lockdown to VERY good use, for the sake of the animals...

As for Alton Towers, they were a gardens long before they were a theme park... The gov wants safe outdoor spaces to open up to spread the load of people, making it safer to be outdoors. Less crowding in places if more options are available... HOWEVER I agree... Should include outdoor areas of zoos!!!!

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
So Blackpool Pleasure Beach can open. We can go and look at Mandy’s fountains ?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I am actually gob smacked that safaris cannot open!!! Surely this is more due to lazy legislation than any ‘actual thinking?’ As in, they’ve been bundled in with zoos by lazy legislators...

Andrew many Zoo’s have put things into place to allow the public to support them. You might be surprised what sharing this info on social media, and exhibiting the same passion you’re showing here can do...

In fact, for anybody else reading this who cares about animals, regardless of your opinions on zoos and captivity, it’s the animals that will suffer... Here is a list of a handful of pages where you can help...

There are more that need our help... Honestly if you can afford it, put some of the money you’ve saved not visiting parks during lockdown to VERY good use, for the sake of the animals...

As for Alton Towers, they were a gardens long before they were a theme park... The gov wants safe outdoor spaces to open up to spread the load of people, making it safer to be outdoors. Less crowding in places if more options are available... HOWEVER I agree... Should include outdoor areas of zoos!!!!

I’ve donated £20 to Chester Zoo and will be doing the same for the London Zoo when I next get paid, I think it’s horrendous that our beaches and public parks are packed, we can start shopping for clothes soon, yet zoo’s, a place that depends on visitors to be able to care for its animals still have to stay closed!

Chester Zoo does so much for animal conversation all over the world, it would be horrific if we lost it!

Peet

Giga Poster
Great stuff, here's the one from Thorpe:
Screenshot_20200604-145354_Chrome.jpg

I suppose for now we must assume that we can only visit with members of our own household.

Matt N

CF Legend
Exciting stuff!! Do we think it’ll be rammed?
They’re having to restrict capacity, but within the capacity they can let in, I think there’s a fair chance of them selling most of, if not all of, their tickets based on what some other parks have been like!
I suppose for now we must assume that we can only visit with members of our own household.
Yes; I think that is the plan. However, you could meet with others provided you all stay 2m (or whatever the distance is by July; Boris has expressed desire to reduce it at some point so businesses can operate more profitably) apart.

In other news, Busch Gardens Tampa is reopening on 11th June.

Last edited:

Professor

Average running cost of zoo (high estimate): £1 million per month

Number of zoos & wildlife parks in the UK: 48

Total running cost of all per year (high estimate): £576 million or £0.576 billion

Cost of HS2 rail-line (low estimate): £100 billion or £1500 per each UK citizen, most of whom will never use the trainline.

Number of years you could fund all UK zoos instead of having a fast train line that only benefits a fraction of the UK population: 173 years (minimum)

Average brain cell in each UK politician: 0

Number of votes that any politician or party will ever got from me during my lifetime again until any can demonstrate responsibility, maturity and offer perspective: 0

Now I'm not saying as of now all zoos should be government supported but it is clear how far that type of money COULD go if spent more locally for local health, infrastructure or animal welfare projects instead. It is exactly the type of money that should come on the table now to make it possible for everyone and everything to be a success in the UK. The type of response the NHS was after WW2. We could save the NHS by improving our health. We could all stand a chance of living longer and healthier lives if there was a massive driving force to do that. It is needed and should be a consensus across all political parties.

The one-off £100.000 grant to zoos is an insult. Pocket change compared to HS2 and other projects.

Something isn't right here.

--------

On a positive note good to see the 4th of July slowly getting confirmed at all UK theme parks. I had a sneaky suspicion it would be the exact target date even before it was announced a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Average running cost of zoo (high estimate): £1 million per month

Number of zoos & wildlife parks in the UK: 48

Total running cost of all per year (high estimate): £576 million or £0.576 billion

Cost of HS2 rail-line (low estimate): £100 billion

Number of years you could fund all UK zoos instead of having a fast train line that only benefits a fraction of the UK population: 173 years (minimum)

Average brain cell in each UK politician: 0

Number of votes that any politician or party will ever got from me during my lifetime again until any can demonstrate responsibility, maturity and offer perspective: 0

Now I'm not saying as of now all zoos should be government supported but it is clear how far that type of money COULD go if spent more locally for local health, infrastructure or animal welfare projects instead. It is exactly the type of money that should come on the table now to make it possible for everyone and everything to be a success in the UK. The type of response the NHS was after WW2. We could save the NHS by improving our health. We could all stand a chance of living longer and healthier lives if there was a massive driving force to do that. It is needed and should be a consensus across all political parties.

The one-off £100.000 grant to zoos is an insult. Pocket change compared to HS2 and other projects.

Something isn't right here.
Just said on TV that zoos have collectively been given £14M funding towards animal care... And several million (no figure) in furlough payments towards staff costs.

I make that over £290k per zoo... Are you sure it isn’t £100k per month for the 3 months of lockdown???

Either way it clearly isn’t enough... Twycross food bill alone is £25k a month... And despite many staff being furloughed they still need keepers working. There’s also medical care, and of course their fixed costs, energy, rent etc etc... One of the biggest costs, the conservation work many of the zoos carry out, will likely be the hardest hit without more help.