What's new

Dreamworld Australia | Steel Taipan | Modified Blue Fire Clone | 2021

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Australia has been a tantalizing trip idea for me for a bit now, mainly because the three gold coast parks are all within a half hour of each other (if I remember correctly). And with this and Leviathan to add to DC Rivals' draw, it makes me want to visit a bit more. It's an expensive plane ticket, but it'd be quite a fun trip to take...although I doubt it'll be in the cards for me for a bit.

Oh well. It's exciting to see things happening down under!

Gazza

Giga Poster
It's an expensive plane ticket
Not necessarily,
for BNE-LAX
An expensive return fare might be 2000 AUD ($1350 USD), average might be 1500 AUD ($1000 USD) , but, on occassion you can get bargain return fares as little as 800 AUD ($540 USD)

At present the AUD is quite weak, which softens the other costs you'd incur here.

I'd recommend travelling to the parks here late January, since at other times of the year you risk missing creds due to maintenance (Unavoidable due to the parks running year round)

But yes, the parks are all close together, and well connected to the light rail system with high frequency buses, so a hire car is un-needed.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The layout, but stupidly the spike is cropped out.

Attachments

• Rides_1680x650.png
    Rides_1680x650.png
    794.8 KB · Views: 66

JoshC.

Strata Poster
A swing launch with a curved spike on a spinning car? Sounds... interesting...

But yeah, good for the park. Hopefully the gamble pays off for them.

Matt N

CF Legend
It would seem that the Australians like their Macks to have unique back cars, what with DC Rivals' backward seating and now this with its spinning car!

On another note, nice to see Dreamworld bouncing back with such an ambitious expansion! $70m AUD is a huge amount of money for such a small park, especially one that's had its reputation tarnished so much in recent years; I hope that this goes well and wipes the park's slate clean for them! Mack are a quality manufacturer, and Blue Fire looks like a great ride, so with its enhanced features; dare I say that the new coaster could be the new common favourite at Dreamworld amongst enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike?

emoo

Hyper Poster
That spinning car uniqueness makes a huge difference for me. Loved it when they tested the spinning car concept on the original blue fire so chuffed its going to become publicly available.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This should be a really good addition for Dreamworld.
Was lucky enough to do a tour of the Mack factory earlier this year and saw them bending track for this. The modifications are a real surprise though, Assumed it would be a standard clone.
I like the look of the big curling spike at the back. Intrerested to see how it rides.

I do wonder if the addition of a 3rd launch coaster at the park will finally serve as the long rumoured death knell for TOT2. Its not run properly for years (it was only reaching half way up the tower when i visited way back in 2014) and those LIMs cost a fortune to run compared to more modern rides.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I do wonder if the addition of a 3rd launch coaster at the park will finally serve as the long rumoured death knell for TOT2. Its not run properly for years (it was only reaching half way up the tower when i visited way back in 2014) and those LIMs cost a fortune to run compared to more modern rides.
Here's what I told @CrashCoaster regarding the rumored fate of Tower of Terror II in the Orion thread:
A rumor from Parkz (an Australian coaster enthusiast site) said that Tower of Terror II is on its last legs. This rumor brings up that when Intamin upgraded the Superman: Escape from Krypton control system at Six Flags Magic Mountain they also offered to do it for Dreamworld; however, Dreamworld refused the upgrade, perhaps implying that they didn't plan on keeping Tower of Terror II around for that much longer unlike Magic Mountain. Another tidbit suggesting its removal is that the ride has been reportedly running slower than Superman in its past few years.

Here's what I told @CrashCoaster regarding the rumored fate of Tower of Terror II in the Orion thread:
A rumor from Parkz (an Australian coaster enthusiast site) said that Tower of Terror II is on its last legs. This rumor brings up that when Intamin upgraded the Superman: Escape from Krypton control system at Six Flags Magic Mountain they also offered to do it for Dreamworld; however, Dreamworld refused the upgrade, perhaps implying that they didn't plan on keeping Tower of Terror II around for that much longer unlike Magic Mountain. Another tidbit suggesting its removal is that the ride has been reportedly running slower than Superman in its past few years.
I personally would like to see Tower Of Terror replaced by a possible Red Force type coaster in the future. Or something like Fury at Bobbejaanland maybe

Pear

Strata Poster
So is the stall that was referenced earlier referring to the spike? I'd love to see an actual stall on this layout especially with the spinning car.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I personally would like to see Tower Of Terror replaced by a possible Red Force type coaster in the future. Or something like Fury at Bobbejaanland maybe
Unfortunately, given Tower of Terror's minimal footprint, I don't see Dreamworld replacing it with anything. It's essentially taking up an extremely long but narrow plot of land suitable for hardly anything else, and since its construction the railroad as well as Mick Doohan's MotoCoaster have been located right next to it. This park now has 3 launch coasters, so I don't exactly see Dreamworld replacing Tower of Terror II with another one - or even a record breaking coaster, for that matter - as parks have now moved onto the most unique ride experiences, rather than the tallest, fastest or longest. Still, to lose one of the 7 operating giga coasters worldwide would be a bit of a bummer, especially the only one in the Southern Hemisphere.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Can't you just ride Time Traveller? Wasn't that the main purpose of that Blue Fire test?
Already done, a great ride and fav spinner.

The uniqueness is the tail and on what's likely a larger ride so I am glad they are trying something a bit different out.

Last edited: