What's new

What new models should manufacturers make?

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
We live in a world where there are a variety of manufacturers making amazing roller coasters, but there is always something new that we can make! What are your ideas?
Here are some of mine...
Wooden Inverted Coaster - By Gravity Group
B&m coasters that use a lap bar to go upside down
An Intamin Flying coaster.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
We live in a world where there are a variety of manufacturers making amazing roller coasters, but there is always something new that we can make! What are your ideas?
Here are some of mine...
Wooden Inverted Coaster - By Gravity Group
B&m coasters that use a lap bar to go upside down
An Intamin Flying coaster.
I never understood a wooden flying (I mean invert but it applies to both!) coaster due to the support structure it would 100% had to be hybrid, If they had to do a custom design woodie maybe a dive coaster, or a proper launch (maybe a intamin prefab with a launch??)

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
I never understood a wooden flying coaster due to the support structure it would 100% had to be hybrid, If they had to do a custom design woodie maybe a dive coaster, or a proper launch (maybe a intamin prefab with a launch??)
Imagine if they took a Prefab and shot the thing out at about 0-70 in 2 seconds and had it do overbanks airtime hills and maybe an inversion, Easily would be better than SV

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I did have an idea as a budding coaster enthusiast regarding a roller coaster that can switch between a sit down and an inverted track style. The ride would have to utilize a single coach instead of a train and likely require a bunch of alignment devices in the switch sections.

I also thought it would be neat for manufacturers to bring back sideways seating like some of the old scenic railways or incorporate some mechanisms to have the coaches drift around corners, but with these SFX coasters with powered spinning, this idea is a reality already.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I did have an idea as a budding coaster enthusiast regarding a roller coaster that can switch between a sit down and an inverted track style. The ride would have to utilize a single coach instead of a train and likely require a bunch of alignment devices in the switch sections.
Ha! I had a dream like this where the train would have running wheels on both the top and bottom and would switch tracks in a dark ride portion. It also had a Dive Machine holding brake and vertical drop.
Glad I'm not the only crazy person around here ;)

davidm

Strata Poster
I also thought it would be neat for manufacturers to bring back sideways seating like some of the old scenic railways
I rode this thing when it was in 'Speed Boarder' mode, you sat sideways on that. Clearly it wasn't enough to save them re-configuring it, then ripping it out ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
I don't know whether anyone else agrees, but I personally reckon a 4D coaster like the 4D Free Spins S&S make with rider-controlled spinning (kind of like the same principle as Gerstlauer Sky Flys go by) would be a good ride, because it could appeal to a wide range of audiences; it could appeal to both people who want an insane ride experience and people who want something a little more relaxing!

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Ha! I had a dream like this where the train would have running wheels on both the top and bottom and would switch tracks in a dark ride portion. It also had a Dive Machine holding brake and vertical drop.
Glad I'm not the only crazy person around here ;)
UH there is a ride that has both wheels on the top and bottom.
go to 2:44

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Just more 4D roller coasters. The tech has been out there for going on 20 years now, and gives a fantastic ride. No reason S&S need have all the fun. (And, let's be honest, wouldn't they be far superior in B&M or other's hands?)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ha! I had a dream like this where the train would have running wheels on both the top and bottom and would switch tracks in a dark ride portion.

I've had this dream too! Surely we can't be too far off something like this happening though. Manufacturers have arguably near-perfected switch, drop and tilt tracks, so it can't be too far out of the realm of possibility that they could create something like this. More a case of why anyone would want it, rather than if it's possible I guess..

B&M 4D too. Again, I feel like that's more a case of no one has wanted one, rather than them not being able to.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I've had this dream too! Surely we can't be too far off something like this happening though. Manufacturers have arguably near-perfected switch, drop and tilt tracks, so it can't be too far out of the realm of possibility that they could create something like this. More a case of why anyone would want it, rather than if it's possible I guess..

B&M 4D too. Again, I feel like that's more a case of no one has wanted one, rather than them not being able to.

I remember reading that B&M would make a 4D Wing Coaster if a park paid for it, but that the price would probably be too much. Considering how chunky the Wing Coaster track is already, and the extra weight to make the seats rotate, I certainly believe them.

As for new models: I can see either Mack or B&M building a hybrid or inverting wooden coaster. I think that market will just grow larger and larger in the coming years.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
I remember reading that B&M would make a 4D Wing Coaster if a park paid for it, but that the price would probably be too much. Considering how chunky the Wing Coaster track is already, and the extra weight to make the seats rotate, I certainly believe them.

As for new models: I can see either Mack or B&M building a hybrid or inverting wooden coaster. I think that market will just grow larger and larger in the coming years.
There would probably not be much airtime on the rides and if there was it would be weak sustained floater. Unless by chance b&m wanted to innovate and put "EJECTOR" on their rides.
*EDIT*
You happy @Edward M ?;)

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Just more 4D roller coasters. The tech has been out there for going on 20 years now, and gives a fantastic ride. No reason S&S need have all the fun. (And, let's be honest, wouldn't they be far superior in B&M or other's hands?)
This. But it got me thinking, though... who would want to build one?

B&M is very conservative, and it doesn't sound quite like their thing to introduce a coaster train with so many moving parts. Not to mention, the specially manufactured track.

Intamin could try their hand at it, but they've been burned numerous times on trying to innovate and ending up with reliability issues. Nobody ever bought a second Wing Walker from them, and building another one with a more complex track and train... I can see why they wouldn't try to develop it, and why parks wouldn't buy it.

Vekoma ...maybe. They're good at doing unconventional stuff. But they don't tend to build coasters on such large scales as the 4D coasters require. Large trains and special track requires large curve radii, which again beget very big coasters. And the biggest full-circuit coasters Vekoma ever built was this defunct thing in South Korea, followed by the two at Fantasy Island. Vekoma don't really market themselves at that scale.

Mack? Possible, but it's a little bit outside their comfort zone too. What with the extremely wide vehicles and special track and stuff. Then again, Time Traveler has proven they can be unconventional, so perhaps one shouldn't count them out entirely.

As for S&S, the old adage holds true: Once bitten, twice shy. The 4D coaster spectacle sunk Arrow, and it hasn't been a very successful coaster line since then either. S&S has the demonstrated capability to build them, but I can see why they would rather offer something else to their customers instead. Coasters that offer the same level of thrill while being smaller, cheaper, more reliable and less likely to bankrupt somebody.

I don't really see any other manufacturers willing to take on such complex and huge coasters either. Never mind that parks aren't very likely to buy them anyway. We really don't see as many coasters taller than 50 meters with inversions anymore, whereas the standard 4D layout towers a whooping 65 meters or taller.

aintnutinelse2do

Roller Poster
I've seen the similar idea mentioned a time or so above so I thought I'd share what I drew up back in school years ago. I called it the F car but could be expanded to an E car concept.
view

Edit: apparently I have issues getting this pic up here but here's the link if anyone wants to see.

Last edited: