What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If there's one thing I don't like about the wall at the moment, it's that it's all the same height. I dunno, it all look a bit weird to me because it's so flat and uniform, maybe some height changes would have been nice. Though I guess we don't know what it'll look like finished yet.
That's it! I've been trying to put my finger on why this looks funny to me, and I think that's what it is.

It still looks like a wall, even through it's got plenty of nice detail on it. Maybe it'll blend a bit better as it develops and beds in.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Well it looks like they're starting to add '3D' sections to it, what look like large Buttresses, which will hopefully make this feel less like a wall (on the right hand side, protruding).

44598607_10155931905432843_963706011711963136_o.thumb.jpg.b028981b2f954446654469745e44f8cd.jpg

I don't think it helps at the minute that we can literally see that it's a wall and not a fully formed building, maybe once it's fully filled in, it'll look more like a substantial building.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
If there's one thing I don't like about the wall at the moment, it's that it's all the same height. I dunno, it all look a bit weird to me because it's so flat and uniform, maybe some height changes would have been nice. Though I guess we don't know what it'll look like finished yet.

Yeah I'd have to agree. It is rather odd looking at the moment.
I think it is that's down to combination of two things.
Firstly it simply is just a big uniform wall.
maxresdefault.jpg

In comparison Wuze Town (which is around the same height as the wall) has those smaller round towers either side in front of the main body of the building, and plants growing up it which really helps make it more more natural, pleasing to the eye and less like a massive building/facade towering down over you.
But in Phantasialand's defence for Rookburgh they probably didn't have much choice in the matter with the limited space available and that location's proximity to the housing.
(sadly years ago plans to build a sound barrier along the lake/houses were rejected after only 2 residents didn't agree to them. I imagine had the plans worked out things might have been different in the future with Rookburgh. Plus the lake and Temple site could be better used. But that's another story!:()

Secondly it is just not finished yet. Perhaps there will be more protruding elements to add more depth/blend it.
Plus we aren't really seeing the bigger picture as the wall is actually on top of/built diagonally across a large concrete building - which is obscured from view for us at the moment by the F.L.Y. banner and construction fences. The building is only about 5m tall but on the Wuze side those arches presumably come down to the edge of its roof and will help blend it together to make it seem like one large building (my prediction is that the Wuze section of the building will house new toilets).
On the Rookburgh side whether the building will become any taller or just like Wuze be blended somehow remains to be seen of course. F.L.Y. passes over/through the building there as well.

New image from today. Source Twitter @HesselB_98
IMG_20181025_170308.jpg

The second coat of arms/crest seems to be the same design as the other one. Also scaffolding seems to be going up on the right over the steel wall and future gateway to Rookburgh.
Screenshot_20181025-170325_Twitter.jpg

On Tuesday another straight section of launch track was delivered to the site.
IMG_20181023_120356.jpg
Presumably this is the next part for the 1st launch out of that cannon-like structure. In this older picture you can see at the back the one bit of launch track in the arches - it is believed from there it will go through the similar rectangular black steel structure (which along with the two supports in front will also support the launch track).
Screenshot_20181025-201241_Gallery.jpg

Similar to what is demonstrated in this diagram posted a while back on PhantaFriends.de.
1479002377_sketch-15347685841412.thumb.png.4a4cd0ecf309a6730cff6222964ae0f8.png
20181025_203049.jpg

With the 1st launch being a normal straight high up on supports over the pathways below, and the 2nd weird launch (as seen in the older pic below) starting in an underground tunnel and then curving up and out, it should make for some nice variety (as if being the world's first launched flying coaster wasn't already enough:p).
launch.png

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
New pictures from today showing how work to detail and paint the Wuze Wall is continuing. Also the small turret on the right has been repainted from the red to orange now.
Source = NRW-Parks Facebook
44803601_10155940125237843_8355423669626863616_n.jpg

44819206_10155940125372843_705474654977916928_n.jpg

On PhantaFriends.de there has also been some discussion surrounding the nature and look of the wall.
One user has circled a visible part of the building the wall sits upon which I referred to in my previous post. The building makes up about 1/3 of the height of the sound barrier wall.
phlwand.thumb.png.434225b5f9c4b1d505d89384df9b9a02.png

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Tobi is back at it again. He's been modelling the Wuze Wall. This picture shows the current state of the wall, except the detailing of the rocks and vines of the lower sections.
http://instagr.am/p/BpfFvIyBjeO/
Part of the connecting/neighbouring steel wall has scaffolding on it now for theming work.
20181028_121432-907x1612.jpg

Will be interesting to what they do with that wall.
20181028_121257-907x1612.jpg

20181028_121318-907x1612.jpg

Part of the theming being worked on will be the gateway between Fantasy and Rookburgh - location circled in red.
9543076d1540678933-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-durchgang.jpg

Testing of a clearance envelope/profile was spotted. Given the odd shape presumably this is just a partial envelope just for the clearance between the rider in the right hand seat and the wall's theming?
20181028_121346-907x1612.jpg

Pictures from CoasterFriends.de.

Last edited:

Robert.W

Roller Poster
Every time I see pictures of these walls, it actually amazes me how massive they look. They’re absolutely huge!! I also agree to an extent on the point that @Ethan made on the previous page; with the wall being so tall, the fact that there appears to be little to no height variation, and also that there doesn’t seem to be an awful lot of depth (apart from the protruding framework that is still to be themed), I think makes the wall appear very stark in contrast to the intricately detailed Wuze themed area that is located around it.

I’d by lying if I said I wasn’t slightly concerned, but obviously the wall has a purpose, so it is a necessary evil so to speak. However it is perhaps a bit too early to judge what it looks like, and it will be interesting to keep watching as construction progresses and see how the finished thing turns out. :)

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
I went back to Phantasialand last weekend and made some new pictures.
VFqZK6w.jpg

Unfortunately I took the picture from a slightly wrong angle, so you can't see the 1st launch properly. :(

What I did notice is that they placed a second piece of the launch-track, and attached it to one of the rectangular supports.
The blue markings show where the next launch pieces will be attachted to.
aMJylN0.png

1479002377_sketch-15347685841412.thumb.png.4a4cd0ecf309a6730cff6222964ae0f8.png

(Sketch posted on phantafriends.de)
The other launch pieces are now on site and will probably be assembled soon aswell.
wiPUaz3.png

Looking at the amount of launch-track pieces this won't just be a small boost but a decent launch. You would expect phantasialand to advertise this as a first multi launch flying coaster because they like to show off with world records. On the other hand their last addition was a multi launch coaster, so that would be a bit strange. And a launched flying by itself is already unique.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Yeah it definitely seems to be a launch of a similar length to the 2nd. Stretching out across most of the site.
Advertising it as a multi launch would be pointless and a meaningless record though.
Its the World's First Launched Flyer that's the important aspect and the point they wish to put across - not how many launches.

It's good to see a new picture of site though after the all the recent focus on the Wuze Wall.
- The themed facade on the far right along the back of the Berlin buildings seems to be coming along with red brickwork seemingly now visible
- In the middle of the site new concrete structures have been completed with footers and supports on top for the track above (which was installed but unsupported in that section until now) and the 1st launch.
The fact the supports are high up on pillars is interesting - the centre space there features two levels of foundations below. Presumably this will eventually be enclosed/a roof built across between the pillars and arches.
Question is why has this space not been enclosed yet and what will its purpose be?. Is for simply just open for access reasons right now? After all the tower crane is currently sitting in part of it. Will they just eventually be rooms which are part of the queueline or for something else?
Or could it be that a small flat ride or something might be installed in there later? Not sure what or if something would fit but it would be the much speculated/2nd family ride in the area. Located underground would save space for the area above. Pure speculation at this point of course; interested to see what happens.
- The scaffolding and tarpulins visible show that concrete and theming work is continuing inside the Launch and Brake run tunnels
- In the bottom left you see ground work has been carried out and a concrete wall/foundation has been made in preparation for the pouring of the floor foundation for the maintenance bays.
The concrete floor inbetween the maintenance bays and higher ground on the right is being poured already.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Very hard to see, but this piece of track had also had one or more new pieces installed.
I assume it will eventually come out of the tunnel at the bottom:

View attachment 3955

Hm. Interesting. Hadn't spotted that. Good catch!
The track (which is coming out of the low to ground helix in the far corner) does look to disappear down into the concrete there. No doubt about it. So it must definitely have to come out of the tunnel there.

Well forget my suggestion of a flat ride there probably then. :confused:

EDIT:
On PhantaFriends some has posted a picture of that Berlin facade in the far corner which I mentioned above.
A3BBF23F-CFD3-474C-8DA7-9EE586B5EC71.thumb.jpeg.3b224dede8257a97e5ab8b5d1a0a7e1b.jpeg

ANOTHER EDIT: Some new Instagram footage of everyone's favourite wall.
http://instagr.am/p/BphEhchB4v6/

Last edited:

Dex

Roller Poster
Haven't posted an update in a while, but here's the current state of my fly layout recreation (I'm not trying to perfectly recreate the ride, I just want to make a rough layout.)

RLrBoHz.jpg

Here it is from the view we normally see it from, as you can see I've added the predicted launch coming off the lift.
Now here's the ride from a few other angles:

bZKF1Cq.jpg

7znADZp.jpg

EDIT: Fixed the image links for you. You've got to link directly to the image with the BBCode tags - including the file extension. FYI for next time. Hixee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dex

Roller Poster
If anyone is willing to contribute to this project by helping me with the buildings/structures, please message me on discord (Dex#1001)

I am working on supports now, but I think it would look better if the concrete walls and floors were also there.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Well with the last weekend of the summer season upon us this probably be will the last Wuze Wall update until the park reopens for Wintertraum in 3 weeks time. (how will we cope?)
20181102_103005.jpg.6546081e2e9f4e86fe6a626cba8656ec.jpg

20181102_103108.jpg.443325bf6e3f53309ec16813bd892ab9.jpg

20181102_103118.thumb.jpg.ef8f622c8d81884f97877ad04e51610c.jpg

^What appears to be the start of connecting and blending together the theming along the back of Maus au Chocolat to the wall.
Worth noting that former entrance and queueline of Race for Atlantis still remains there - still no clue how that will be re-purposed. The wall and lift building has cut off most of the space from the Rookburgh (save one doorway to right of the lift and 1st launch as seen in the latest site pic). If that that doorway is big enough for people going in and out of the room, perhaps it will be connected up as used as part of F.L.Y.'s queueline (the former RfA entrance would then just be a fire escape route). Or will it be kept separate and used for something else - I've seen a suggestion that it could be repurposed as an event venue to expand the park's Business to Pleasure offering. With
20181102_102911.jpg.522bc9a50e37b1c07afcc5044bc1ac7b.jpg

^The black fence at the very bottom of this picture blocks the to way the former RfA entrance on the right.
Source: PhantaFriends.de
9543557d1541164019-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-4d2dcaef-f7c6-4a45-bfca-ceb293d35802.jpg

9543555d1541162173-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-db4a6411-41c6-40af-b5fc-5dc37d754dae.jpg

Work on the section towards Wuze Town is progressing. Two more turrets are forming on the steel wall there either side of the future gateway into Rookburgh in the gap below.
9543554d1541162173-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-a5a4a4bd-c539-445c-9937-8e26d58e2aef.jpg

9543556d1541163839-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-2c3a9c96-6c69-41f3-a8cc-a4882d50f291.jpg

Source: CoasterFriends.de

Since those pictures this morning even more scaffolding has been removed giving a clearer view of the finished bits.
Source
Screenshot_20181102-141440_Instagram.jpg

I can imagine they will have it all finished once the park reopens for Wintertraum - should be plenty of time to theme the gateway at Wuze and the protruding arches.

Robert.W

Roller Poster
It’s actually looking pretty fab. All the colours and details that have been added since the last update have really made all the difference I think. It still looks a bit tall, but what’s been added recently has helped lessen that effect a little bit, looks a bit more intricate than before and less of a contrast to the rest of Wuze Town.

... but how on earth are we all gonna survive without a wall update for three whole weeks!? :p

roff

Roller Poster
New Video of Rookburgh uploaded today: Phantasija
Some observations:
A few new launch pices were installed,
also this piece of track here, including the new support:
mTsYKKc.jpg

On the left they removed the scaffolding / stairs and the little digger is getting the ground ready for the maintenance building to be build, they already put some concrete there it looks like, probably just to level it out (could just be sand though)?
95KnGCm.jpg

EDIT:
You can also see where the track comes out of the tunnel now, as i've mentioned in my last post.
These track pieces are also new:

rook3.png

Last edited: