What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Matt N

CF Legend
Thanks guys! I don't know which form of airtime I'd personally define Wicker Man's as, but I personally found Wicker Man's airtime to provide a kind of brief bouncing sensation, if that makes any sense at all!

Coaster

Mega Poster
IMO, Wicker Man is a much stronger coaster at the back.

Generally I find the airtime moderate (it isn't really the purpose of the ride's layout), but I did experience what could be classed as ejector on the drop after the flat corner, back row at the end of a rainy day when it was absolutely belting round.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
The angle they've chosen, and camera location, makes it look slow and jolty.
That's not gonna wow any of the GP is it

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Weird they'd have the maintenance lights on in the brake run while filming this despite everything else being in show mode.

I also dislike POVs from this angle, it's so unnatural to watch.

Matt N

CF Legend
Was this an early morning run or something; it looks slower than usual in this POV. Still fast, but slower than usual.

I always find that Wicker Man looks and feels much faster in real life than it looks on video. When I rerode the coaster last Saturday, the ride was belting round the track! And I was towards the front!

Last edited:

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I always find that Wicker Man looks and feels much faster in real life than it looks on video.

I often find this with wooden coasters in general ; definitely with GCIs. Never been a huge fan of how they look on POVs, but in real-life they can be much more ferocious. It’s all part of that “woodie” feel you just can’t easily replicate with film.

Matt N

CF Legend
I often find this with wooden coasters in general ; definitely with GCIs. Never been a huge fan of how they look on POVs, but in real-life they can be much more ferocious. It’s all part of that “woodie” feel you just can’t easily replicate with film.
Yeah, I agree; when I visited Alton on the 18th, Wicker Man was absolutely zipping round the track! It was flying through the unbanked corner in about 2 or 3 seconds! Whereas that corner looks a bit slower on video. It absolutely belted round the rest of the ride, too! On video, Wicker Man looks to peeter out a bit in the final couple of turns, but every time I've ridden it, it's zipped through these at a glorious pace! I find the same to be true of Icon!

davidm

Strata Poster
^ not to worry, its quite hard to understand what ATI means at the best of times! :)
I think Coaster Touring was filming the POV on behalf of GCI then once Alton had put it up on youtube, he felt able to release it on his own channel (in better quality).

Robert.W

Roller Poster
Maybe just me, but I actually quite liked the fact that the camera was mounted on the front of the train in the way it was. Gives a different perspective that us as rides don't get to see, so I thought it was pretty cool. Little bit silly that they didn't have the maintenance shed in full "show mode" though...

Last edited:

Smithy

Strata Poster
I hate POVs where the camera is placed about 3cm from the track. Put it at rider eye height!
Ah I disagree, it makes the ride look far quicker and wilder which definitely helps on some coasters.

Helix's track level POV is crazy.