What's new

Roller Coaster TV Programs and News Articles!

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Channel 4 are in Chorley this week filming Hidden Britain by Drones with Sir Tony Robinson. They're taking a look at what's left of Camelot Theme Park and interviewing former staff about what it was like in the heyday.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
New documentary Inside Alton Towers starts on Channel 4 on Thursday 12th June at 9pm. In the spirit of Alton Towers today, it starts later than it should and breaks down just as you're getting into it.

Will

Strata Poster
^
I'm assuming you mean 12 July? :p

Remind me closer to the time, as my memory's not what it used to be and it's too soon to set the Skybox :p

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
There’s a show premiering currently on US TV called Coaster Quest. I’ve watched the first episode and a half.

The pros: The host travels to good current parks and showcases great coasters. Episode One focused on Holiday World and Silver Dollar City. The host also occasionally uses enthusiast jargon, naming particular elements and the like, indicating he knows coasters. So there are no painful descriptions.

The cons: It’s one those shows for which most of the program is taken up with the host displaying pseudo-fear before and during his rides. This is what the main focus is on; since he’s trying to reach the GP, he does a big GP dance throughout. This con comes close to making the show worthless for enthusiasts.

WhollyRudeTech

Roller Poster
There’s a show premiering currently on US TV called Coaster Quest. I’ve watched the first episode and a half.

The pros: The host travels to good current parks and showcases great coasters. Episode One focused on Holiday World and Silver Dollar City. The host also occasionally uses enthusiast jargon, naming particular elements and the like, indicating he knows coasters. So there are no painful descriptions.

The cons: It’s one those shows for which most of the program is taken up with the host displaying pseudo-fear before and during his rides. This is what the main focus is on; since he’s trying to reach the GP, he does a big GP dance throughout. This con comes close to making the show worthless for enthusiasts.

I guess if it makes GP more of an enthusiast it will be a good thing. As much as we would love a pure enthusiasts programme would it get high enough ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I guess if it makes GP more of an enthusiast it will be a good thing. As much as we would love a pure enthusiasts programme would it get high enough ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m not one to use the term “GP” with disdain; I’m just marking the fact that it is less likely to appeal to enthusiasts. That said, I do think it is possible to make a program that has overlap appeal.

Matt N

CF Legend
New documentary Inside Alton Towers starts on Channel 4 on Thursday 12th June at 9pm. In the spirit of Alton Towers today, it starts later than it should and breaks down just as you're getting into it.
Was this information in the actual Sun newspaper, as I can't find anything about it on the Sun's website.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Was this information in the actual Sun newspaper, as I can't find anything about it on the Sun's website.
Ha! Errr... :cool: I mean the actual sun in the sky. It's really bloody warm, affecting the mind! I have no idea if the documentary is listed on the newspaper site but, trust me, it's coming.
I think I need to go out and come back in again...

Matt N

CF Legend
Ha! Errr... :cool: I mean the actual sun in the sky. It's really bloody warm, affecting the mind! I have no idea if the documentary is listed on the newspaper site but, trust me, it's coming.
I think I need to go out and come back in again...
So it's the actual newspaper. Thanks @Robbie!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Related, Derren Brown just had a spot in Vice News.

Will

Strata Poster
New documentary Inside Alton Towers starts on Channel 4 on Thursday 12th June at 9pm.
Any know any more about this - looking around online, it was supposed to be a one-off documentary, but didn't show on July 12th, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the TV listings.
I doubt we'd learn anything we don't already know, but I'd still be interested to see it :)

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Any know any more about this - looking around online, it was supposed to be a one-off documentary, but didn't show on July 12th, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the TV listings.
I doubt we'd learn anything we don't already know, but I'd still be interested to see it :)
Think it was a victim of all the World Cup rescheduling. I've asked C4 but had no reply, but hopefully it will turn up soon.

Matt N

CF Legend
According to Alastair on TowersStreet Talk, the Alton Towers documentary will show on Channel 4 on Monday 27th August at 9pm.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
In other news, Hidden Britain by Drone visits Camelot Theme Park on Sunday 5th August at 8pm on Channel 4, and The One Show are also due to have a piece about Camelot in the Autumn.