What's new

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Surprised I didn't find a thread for this, but according to Screamscape, Carowinds is set to get a new Mack Rides Double Launch coaster in 2019!

http://screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm

(4/27/18) Who's ready to know what Carowinds has up their sleeves for the 2019 season? As I said before... no... this is not the transformation of Vortex into a Floorless coaster. And no... this is not the conversion of Hurler into another Twisted Timbers style hybrid coaster experience... though I'm sure that particular plan may still be in the works for a future season. Oh... and no... this is not a new wooden coaster either.
According to Screamscape's exclusive sources, Carowinds will be getting a brand new launched steel coaster experience unlike almost anything else in the country. Yes, I did say launched... and I'll say it again, because this will be a DOUBLE LAUNCHED monster of a coaster that is expected to be from the geniuses at Mack Rides.
This is somewhat new territory for Cedar Fair, who hasn't worked with Mack very much on the coaster side of things thus far, but Mack Rides has really been rising up to become a major player in the coaster scene in the last few years following the creation of Blue Fire Megacoaster at Europa Park in 2009. To date, I think the only launched Mack coaster installed in the US was the family friendly Manta at SeaWorld San Diego, but in the past three years they've installed some incredible rides elsewhere around the world like Helix at Liseberg, Star Trek: Operation Enterprise at Movie Park Germany, Capitol Bullet Train coaster at Motiongate Dubai and very soon Icon will open at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
So I'm happy to report that Carowinds will be the next step in this legacy of awesome coasters... but wait... there is more. Would you believe that I believe we have a drawing that should show a fairly close rendition of the 2019 coaster's layout? While I'm not sure exactly where in the park it will go, I took into consideration the removal of the old White Water Falls ride last season, mixed with the current demolition taking place to remove the Sand Dune Lagoon kiddie pool area from the waterpark. Mix this new open land in with the remains of the former Thunder Road station area and you've got a pretty good size piece of land that can perfectly hold this new coaster, placing the station and queue area in the same general area where Thunder Road's old station was. Take a look at Screamscape's exclusive concept art and overlay of the layout over an aerial image of Carowinds and see what you think.
As far as the ride goes, it is difficult to know where most of the inversions are located, other than a pair of vertical loops that lie at the end of each launch track, but there also appears to be a large and tall tophat looking element that I believe would rise up and over the new queue/entrance area next to the Plants vs Zombies building. So far I'm just guessing... as this could also be some kind of inversion, but I get the feeling this may end up being more like a tophat style or overbanked hill element, kind of like the one right after the launch on Blue Fire. Also, as weird as it seems, the track almost appears to perform a little barrel roll inversion as soon as it leaves the station itself, before rounding the corner the first launch... not unlike what Hydra does at Dorney Park before the lift hill. I see a couple of other locations where inversions may also be possible, so my best guess is that this coaster will have somewhere between 4 and 6 inversions.
For all the latest information, please keep checking Screamscape as we will be covering this project as it develops.

db_2019_Carowinds_MackLaunchLayout1_web1.jpg

db_2019_Carowinds_MackLaunchLayout2_overlay1.jpg

This is quite the leak, especially if it turns out to be true! Also yay a proper Mack in the US!

Pear

Strata Poster
God I hope not. Forceless launches and that horrible layout would be such a bad addition. That concept art also looks like someone drew it in MS Paint.

JSM

Mega Poster
This is a bit of a surprise! The top 2 at this park will really be quite something now with this and fury

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Interesting. Wasn't really wanting to head back to Carowinds anytime soon but if this turns out good i'll definitely keep my eye out on it and actually consider making the trek down.

Pear

Strata Poster
Well blueprints have surfaced

e3bb6a00ac61f14bccaeb0903f715b3d.png

Looks like it could possibly be a spinner. I hope it is as that would be very unique and make up for the horrible layout.

Peet

Giga Poster
I'm loving how the 2nd launch goes through the middle of the loop. This looks like a really nice ride, you're going to need to expand on why it's a horrible layout @Pear because I'm just not seeing it!

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm very excited for Carowinds if this turns out to be true! The layout looks like it could be great fun from the overhead image, and the existing Macks have all been ranked really highly, so colour me intrigued!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think it looks decent. Although it won't be a spinner if it's for next year, as SDC filed a permit saying another Xtreme spinner can't be built for a number of years after Time Traveler. As for the layout, I think it looks pretty good, it doesn't look to be a particular long coaster, probably just a big longer than Time Traveler, and it doesn't look to have much in the way of airtime. But as you've said, we haven't actually seen an official layout from multiple perspectives, so it is hard to judge at this point. Blue Fire was my favourite coaster at Europa Park, and I thought the launch had about the same kick as Velocity's at Flamingoland, not bad. I am definitely hopeful.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
h47lva5o2vr01.png

This was filed by Cedar Fair almost three weeks ago. Given the abundance of snakes of this species in the Carolinas, this could likely be the new name of the coaster.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think it looks decent. Although it won't be a spinner if it's for next year, as SDC filed a permit saying another Xtreme spinner can't be built for a number of years after Time Traveler. As for the layout, I think it looks pretty good, it doesn't look to be a particular long coaster, probably just a big longer than Time Traveler, and it doesn't look to have much in the way of airtime. But as you've said, we haven't actually seen an official layout from multiple perspectives, so it is hard to judge at this point. Blue Fire was my favourite coaster at Europa Park, and I thought the launch had about the same kick as Velocity's at Flamingoland, not bad. I am definitely hopeful.
Source?

I'll take everything in here with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Every time I see one of these trademarks, I always wonder,

What the heck is a Non-Metal Beach Safe? And where in the park would they be?

Pear

Strata Poster
You've literally just seen an overhead sketch with no mention of elements or heights. How can you possibly make such certain judgement on the quality of it already?

You can tell a lot from an overhead layout, but my comment was more about the short length of the ride and there being 2 vertical loops. I should have specified, sorry about that.

Lofty

CF Legend
That looks really fun - I do firmly believe the chances of this being a spinner based on the similarities in profiling of elements as Time Traveller are really ****ing high.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I must say, that second half(bar the vertical loop) does look quite amazing. Very snappy, and seems to carry the speed quite well. Regardless if it's a spinner or not, I'm totally on board for this!