What's new

Zhuhai Weekend - Part 3: Quanlin Resort

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yes, it’s another one of those “Gavin goes to a bunch of random crapholes for a Jungle Mouse” trip reports.

I’d already been to Zhuhai (kind of but not really) just a couple of weeks earlier when I went to Ocean Kingdom. Originally, Ocean Kingdom would’ve been part of a Zhuhai trip, but I decided to do it as part of a weekend in Macau instead, meaning that seeing anything of Zhuhai outside the Chimelong Resort was left until later.

I got there at about half two on Friday afternoon with the plan to grab a couple of +1 kiddy creds on the way(ish) to the hotel and hit a proper park the next day.

Paotaishan Park

I ballsed up the planning slightly with this. Well, not the planning really; I **** ed up the park order after I got in a taxi at the ferry terminal. This should have been the last of the three +1 parks that I visited as it was the closest to the hotel, but I screwed up and got a taxi here first, meaning that I ended up going back on myself back towards the ferry terminal, then heading back in that direction again once the parks were done to get to the hotel.

No big deal really as everything was in the same general area and no huge distances were involved. The park itself looked nice enough.

SAM_4879_zps15a96b73.jpg

SAM_4882_zps4155d0d8.jpg

Apparently there was some kind of viewing area where you could get a good view of Macau, but I was in a bit of a rush to getthecredz and couldn’t be **** ed with all the steps in the heat/humidity and with my bag for the weekend.

Luckily the “Pleasure Ground” area - different cities in China seem to have their own ways of labelling their amusemt park sections – was right in front of where the taxi dropped me off.

SAM_4865_zpsc4a9a3ff.jpg

SAM_4868_zpsf0c5aa47.jpg

SAM_4872_zpse551d9a0.jpg

SAM_4866_zps7155cb85.jpg

As expected, it was dead thanks to being a weekday afternoon, but, as usual for these places, things were open. Staff just randomly appeared when they were needed.

SAM_4869_zpsced694d5.jpg

50p later and I was lucky enough to get another powered **** ing dragon. At least this one was slightly different, in an even crapper way, to the usual double-helix variety.

SAM_4875_zpsf37e8d94.jpg

SAM_4873_zps8eb9f6e9.jpg

After ten minutes well spent it was into a taxi to the next place.

White Lotus Cave Park

This park – by that I mean park as a whole, not crappy kiddy amusement area – was much bigger than the last place. Towards the back were a load of paths and steps that led up to some small temples and stuff, but again, because of time and a distinct lack of giving a ****, I just got in and out fairly quickly. What I saw of the place was lovely though.

SAM_4884_zps6d1158c8.jpg

SAM_4886_zps42dac6c2.jpg

SAM_4888_zps25994754.jpg

SAM_4889_zps5522d9d1.jpg

SAM_4893_zpsc680bd9d.jpg

SAM_4894_zpsa31b424c.jpg

SAM_4902_zps5696e029.jpg

SAM_4895_zpsb08a39cd.jpg

SAM_4899_zpsf53849da.jpg

This place had another “Pleasure Ground”, as well as “Lover Woods”. That’s two areas that sound like dogging sites then.

SAM_4892_zpsaec7ce26.jpg

The Pleasure Ground was the same deal as the last place: small, crap and dead with a powered dragon.

SAM_4910_zps82fa1a1b.jpg

SAM_4908_zps230c23e5.jpg

I’ve started to notice in China that I’ll sometimes come across something new that I haven’t seen before, only to find that practically every park in that area will have the exact same thing. For example, I thought this outdoor shooting ride was pretty unique, but then I saw them in a few other places later.

SAM_4909_zps212b9ffb.jpg

Yay:

SAM_4904_zps735ed714.jpg

+1 and Back into a taxi then.

Haibin Park

This was another really nice park, and due to its location right next to the sea had quite a few people using it. Again, the amusement park section was very quiet though.

SAM_4914_zpsa3cf45a3.jpg

SAM_4949_zps0f701abb.jpg

SAM_4959_zps867aaa2d.jpg

SAM_4953_zpsbf579fe5.jpg

SAM_4957_zps30fd6ee2.jpg

SAM_4954_zps5a53ee06.jpg

SAM_4929_zps55ec2216.jpg

Another one of those outdoor shooting things:

SAM_4919_zpsf87ef47b.jpg

Bunch of random crap:

SAM_4920_zps7d2ec1c6.jpg

SAM_4921_zps16f4e960.jpg

SAM_4925_zps7c25b931.jpg

SAM_4927_zpsd53f5879.jpg

SAM_4930_zps0b580d16.jpg

SAM_4931_zpscbc974c4.jpg

I thought this kiddy log flume looked pretty decent, as in quite well-themed for this type of place. It turned out to be a stock model that was common in other places around here as well, though.

SAM_4933_zpsf2e8cbae.jpg

SAM_4939_zpsa0ec3260.jpg

Onto the amazing +1 coaster here then. At least this time it wasn’t powered.

SAM_4932_zps541adadd.jpg

SAM_4934_zps993a6027.jpg

SAM_4943_zpsa5e1b503.jpg

SAM_4945_zpsf07107e9.jpg

Spot the AJ theming?

SAM_4936_zps39d537e9.jpg

SAM_4935_zpsfeaa4799.jpg

Since this park was right next to the sea, I took a bit of a walk along the coastal road before flagging down a taxi to get to my hotel. It was actually a really nice area.

SAM_4963_zps54ef6e7c.jpg

SAM_4976_zps2539703b.jpg

SAM_4971_zps9424a927.jpg

SAM_4985_zps6a0838c3.jpg

SAM_4975_zps681417f0.jpg

SAM_4998_zps3a96e968.jpg

SAM_4995_zpsbd22c235.jpg

I hadn’t really expected much from Zhuhai as a city since I’d come to think of it just as “that bit of mainland China that’s attached to Macau”, but it was actually a lovely place. It was very, very green. All the roads had trees/plants running along both sides and down the middle, it was clean, and it was mostly pretty laid back.

Just before I grabbed a taxi to get the hotel, I spotted this plane sitting in a car park.

SAM_5000_zps7cd2b8da.jpg

I did a quick bit of research after I got to the hotel, and, apparently, it’s one of Chairman Mao’s old private jets. The owner of the shopping complex bought it years ago as a way of getting tourists to the place, but the appeal has worn off and instead of taking pride of place in front of the shopping centre, it was decided that the parking space is more valuable, so it’s been dismantled and shoved off to one side, possibly sold or possibly on its way for scrap.

SAM_5002_zps39e1c8c6.jpg

SAM_5003_zpsacdac1a6.jpg

My hotel was in a busier area just a 10 minute walk from the main Macau border crossing and at the end of “Pedestrian Street” which was great for food and stuff. There were also a bunch of outdoor bars set up, staffed by scantily clad girls trying to lure in male customers.

SAM_5014_zps498cc56d.jpg

SAM_5008_zpsc3a032ff.jpg

I just grabbed some food and called it an early night since I wanted to be up early the next day for the “proper” park of this trip.

Next up: Mysterious Island.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Re: Zhuhai Weekend - Part 1: Random S**te

Nice pictures. You really do visit some utter holes!

I look forward to doing the same in 4 months time.

nadroJ

CF Legend

The parks actually look really nice! It amazes me that they can afford to have this stuff running on weekdays? Do you know if the parks are all council run or privately owned?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine they're government run since they're basically just municipal parks. Weekdays will have few staff at places that small though, usually one at a ticket booth and a couple running whatever people want to go on.

If there's one thing the Chinese do really well, it's city parks. They're usually lovely, clean and immaculately kept. The areas with the rides shoved in usually let them down though.

I've said it in numerous reports now though: these aren't amusement parks. They just tend to have a corner with a few rides. Yes, those areas are crap if you're thinking theme park, but they're not theme parks. It's the Chinese equivalent of a slide and a few swings to keep young kids occupied for a bit.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^I thought the same when I saw the first one, thinking it to be original since I'd never seen one before. They were really common in that area though.

Mysterious Island

I’d given myself a whole day here since it was pretty far away from the city – a little over an hour’s drive – and was the only major park of the trip. Plus, with it being a Saturday, I thought it would be best to allow more time.

There was no problem getting a taxi despite the distance. Thinking about it, Zhuhai is the only place in China where I didn’t get any idiot taxi drivers for the whole weekend. There’s usually at least one who’s completely clueless and has no idea where things are, despite printing stuff in Chinese.

I got to the park just after 10, and it was dead. The ticket was only around £11 as well which I thought was decent.

SAM_5015_zps1a571aec.jpg

SAM_5016_zps6e7b7073.jpg

It was really nice and decently themed.

SAM_5019_zpsf224053d.jpg

SAM_5024_zpsa89a7aa7.jpg

SAM_5018_zpsbe53ee07.jpg

Right across the lake was the main reason for coming here. The coaster obviously, not the Topple Tower.

SAM_5027_zpsa6fd09b8.jpg

Having said that, I didn’t know they had a Topple Tower here. I’ve seen them in two other parks, but they were down on both occasions, so I was interested to finally get to try one, even though they don’t look all that good really. Alas, it was not to be as this one was closed as well.

SAM_5026_zps4a4c3065.jpg

Now, I don’t know if this has suffered the same fate as a bunch of others and is down for the count, or whether it was just closed that day. What annoyed the **** out of me about this place was that they had one of those “Closed Today” signs at the entrance, next to the ticket windows, but with nothing on it. The assumption would be that everything would be open, but there was loads of stuff closed, including this:

SAM_5029_zps3e29b6db.jpg

Audio Room must’ve been one of those wear-headphones-in-a-dark-room kind of things, so I wasn’t too bothered. I’ve tried a few decent ones in Japan, but the Chinese ones I’ve tried have invariably been s**t.

My phone is always turned into shaking style, but, since it was closed, I didn’t have the opportunity to walk about in the room at my sweet will.

SAM_5030_zpsf5ed5930.jpg

The dodgems were open, so I rode them because they were there. Meh.

SAM_5032_zpsb0d0d89e.jpg

Then it was onto the main coaster for the day - well, for this whole weekend really – Sky Car.

SAM_5025_zps21e4b206.jpg

SAM_5035_zpsc75505ea.jpg

I ended up walking all the way around the bloody thing to find an entrance that I had been standing right next to. Tit.

SAM_5037_zpsf117bf7d.jpg

SAM_5041_zps3232e956.jpg

Jacques Offenbach’s Gallop Infernal from Orpheus in the Underworld (The Can-Can to you simpletons) was playing in this building, so I had a quick look as I was passing.

SAM_5048_zpsb913e82e.jpg

The show was just a bunch of kids juggling hats.

SAM_5045_zps23a08ef1.jpg

Finally onto Sky Car then.

SAM_5051_zpsb03e6256.jpg

SAM_5052_zpseeff83f6.jpg

It was walk-on the whole time I was there, which was great obviously. As usual, people just automatically filled up from the front, so I could easily get some back-row rides in. At one point, the ride op tried, for no reason whatsoever, to get me to move forward to fill the rows further forward, but a quick “Why?” was enough for her to shrug her shoulders and leave me the **** alone.

SAM_5054_zps4013aaaf.jpg

Some thoughts. It was ok, but far from my favourite Intamin Accelerator. The launch was weak, probably on par with Kanonen. There was decent airtime on the top hat though, and the hill going through the loop was probably the best part of the ride. There was airtime as you moved up into the breaks as well. So yeah, three decent moments of airtime really. It seemed a tad rough on my first ride, but I didn’t notice it so much after that.

SAM_5055_zpscaab08f8.jpg

SAM_5056_zps64955634.jpg

I ended up riding it ten times over the time I was at the park, not because I particularly liked it all that much, but because there was very little else to do there and I’d made a bit of an effort to drag my arse down there in the first place. Overall, I’d probably place it somewhere in the middle of the accelerators I’ve done: over Kanonen, Rita and Desert Race at any rate.

The exit shop had a misleading name, leading to some disappointment.

SAM_5059_zpsa17ea752.jpg

Continuing round you get to a pirate-themed area.

SAM_5063_zps670761c5.jpg

SAM_5094_zps4a5562fc.jpg

I wasn’t bothered, or surprised, that this was closed.

SAM_5081_zps9d79c171.jpg

There was some kind of ghost train/walkthrough here, which was actually open with about 40 people waiting outside it, so I joined the queue.

SAM_5077_zps9a774158.jpg

I assumed that when the doors finally opened about 15 minutes later that everyone would be ushered inside. Nope, just four people were let in. **** that; I left the queue. Luckily, this amazing feat of engineering was right next to it.

SAM_5067_zpse517c012.jpg

RCDB has it listed as Screaming Squirrel, but the park has now called it Man-O-War. I’m guessing, since the cars still all have Screaming Squirrel plastered across the front of them, that this is a fairly recent change to fit in with the pirates theme.

SAM_5066_zps8042350d.jpg

SAM_5074_zps4d2191a6.jpg

It was, obviously, f**king s**t. I think it may actually have been even worse than the one at Gardaland. It was being run quite stupidly, too. They’d make people queue outside the station, then fill four cars up at a time, but they wouldn’t send a car off until the previous one had been emptied and the riders had left the platform.

Luckily, because it was so quiet, it only meant a ten-minute wait, but I wasn’t going to bother riding it again. I’ve now got the complete collection of these pieces of s**t anyway. Dreadful **** ing things. I think I’d actually place them below Zamperla Volares for worst coaster type.

SAM_5070_zpse6e9df09.jpg

There was a decent looking water ride with two fairly big drops, but that was also closed.

SAM_5083_zpsd16d4f2a.jpg

Every now and then, they’d turn the pumps on, but the ride never opened.

SAM_5084_zps5bc3d513.jpg

The S&S shot tower was on top of a massive hill, which was a struggle given the heat and humidity, but the whole area was really nice.

SAM_5091_zpsd2b60492.jpg

SAM_5093_zps62a913d5.jpg

SAM_5085_zps14af4511.jpg

SAM_5086_zpsd2c5e9be.jpg

SAM_5089_zps3334e803.jpg

SAM_5088_zps4c069976.jpg

SAM_5090_zpsec179324.jpg

This area was even quieter than the rest of the park, probably because people couldn’t be bothered with the hills/steps, so the ride op let the small handful of us stay on the ride and just waited a few minutes between dispatches to see if anyone else wanted to jump on. I only bothered because of the effort to walk up there in the first place and the fact that there was **** all else to do.

From the hill, you get a decent view of the whole area. Mysterious Island is actually only one very small part of Ocean Spring Resort, which has a few hotels, hot springs, pools, shopping, restaurants and some kind of show.

SAM_5087_zpsbb4e90b1.jpg

From pictures I’ve seen, it actually looks lovely. Since it was still early, and I’d done everything, including the only decent coaster 10 times, I was going to have a wander over and have a look around. However, as I was leaving the park, there was a bus right outside that was due to head back to Zhuhai just five minutes later, so I ended up just jumping on that rather than waiting an hour for the next one.

I wish I’d known about the bus sooner since it was obviously a lot cheaper than the taxi to get there, and was a direct shuttle between the city and the resort. I ended up getting off at some underground transport hub which turned out to just be a 5 minute taxi ride to my hotel. I later found out, when I was heading back to Hong Kong, that the bus starts at the Ferry Terminal I’d arrived at the day before. I hadn’t paid any attention then as I just wanted to jump into a taxi and get to the hotel, but the shuttle buses for Ocean Spring Resort, as well as for Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, were very well signposted outside the terminal.

Some overall thoughts on the park then. It was nice, it really was, but it was a lot smaller than I expected. Again, it’s part of a huge resort though, so I’m guessing few people would just go to Mysterious Island on its own. It also takes the piss that on a Saturday so many rides were closed, despite there being no information on the boards outside. Operations on what was open were ok, but it’s hard to make a decent judgement call on that since the park was practically empty. So yeah, it was all a bit disappointing really given that I’d wanted to head to this place for literally years.

Since I ended up getting back to my hotel by around half three, I decided to jump in another taxi to a park I had planned on doing the following day.

Jindouwan Resort Villas

This place was about a half hour drive away. I had no idea what to expect when I got there. I kind of thought it would basically be another city park with some rides, but it was actually just an amusement park with paid entry. It was only 50p to get in, so obviously rides were extra. It looked pretty decent as I was going in.

SAM_5103_zps50ded412.jpg

SAM_5104_zps87e5c62d.jpg

SAM_5105_zps53c34627.jpg

SAM_5127_zps55b996a6.jpg

SAM_5132_zpsd4d39cd7.jpg

It was an absolute, festering s**tpile though, and, again, it was practically empty.

SAM_5106_zps58adbc0a.jpg

SAM_5107_zpsebcf19b2.jpg

SAM_5115_zpsc180e8ec.jpg

SAM_5118_zps3d722006.jpg

SAM_5119_zpseb2a040a.jpg

SAM_5125_zpse944b3ca.jpg

At least there were some creds to be had, starting with this amazing thing:

SAM_5111_zps15a1b980.jpg

SAM_5108_zpsc8fcdc56.jpg

SAM_5143_zps3a831573.jpg

Other people!!!!! They’d just got off the carousel, so I’d missed out on what would’ve undoubtedly been some amazing action shots.

SAM_5146_zpsd61b7707.jpg

The arcade was a hive of activity.

SAM_5138_zpsa5e92357.jpg

Second coaster then. This is only the second one of these I’ve been on. I could happily never go on one again, though I will forthecredz.

SAM_5113_zps35dcfdf0.jpg

SAM_5142_zps98f68d85.jpg

I gave this a miss, although it looked incredibly exciting.

SAM_5130_zps619ac9b2.jpg

There was another outdoor shooting ride here.

SAM_5135_zpsc721aba5.jpg

The ride op was obviously tired from such a busy shift, so had a bit of a sit down.

SAM_5126_zpse8648141.jpg

I’ve seen a few parks with these “zoos” now, and still hadn’t been in one. I didn’t start here either, but curiosity finally got the better of me the next day at another park, and I wish it hadn’t.

SAM_5129_zpsf31fd2f6.jpg

I can’t remember what ride this was for, but I didn’t ride it, meaning that I didn’t have to worry about staying in my seat if the websitestops steadily, or being in a fluster if such an event occurred.

SAM_5148_zps841f3695.jpg

The final, and biggest coaster is coming up. Brace yourselves.

SAM_5121_zps45431d69.jpg

It was the only Golden Horse spinner of the trip though. I was beginning to worry that I wouldn’t get to ride one. The poor cow at the ticket booth was rushed off her feet.

SAM_5120_zps3f5c4420.jpg

I felt bad having to interrupt a couple of these guys to let me on the ride; they were clearly exhausted.

SAM_5141_zpsef64f60c.jpg

Another picture of the spinner then:

SAM_5140_zps7535c36b.jpg

Yay.

I was out of the delightful place within about half an hour. Since it was out in the arse end of nowhere, there were no taxis. There were also none of the guys with cars offering lifts which I’ve come to expect at these kind of places. Instead, I had to lower myself to clambering into a **** ing motorised rickshaw and getting the driver to take me somewhere civilised where I could get into a cab, head back to the city and sit down crying in the shower trying to wash away the shame of Jindouwan Resort Villas.

20140629_140859_zps1wbu7gik.jpg

The humanity!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Re: Zhuhai Weekend - Part 2: Mysterious Island & Jindouwan

Great report! The barrel ride looks interesting, was it literally for people to sit inside and then roll along a track?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I just love the passion and sincerity that comes across in your reports Gavin.

Yeah seriously, wtf is that barrel ride? Does it actually rotate you as you go along?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^^ and ^ Based on others I've seen, it's basically like a hamster wheel that you walk inside. I'm assuming it's basically one of these, only infinitely less interesting.

SAM_1713_zps6b458e72.jpg

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

^ They're so weird! I don't know whether the concept is appealing, disturbing or both.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I love that this report features an Intamin Accelerator that I'm pretty sure nobody else on here has ridden, and the focus is on a hamster wheel on 15 feet of ground-level track in an absolute s**t tip of a park.

Anyway, onto the final park of the weekend.

Quanlin Resort

Originally, I’d intended to go here on the same day as the previous place, Jindouwan Resort, since Jindouwan was roughly halfway between the city and here, but since I’d already got that done the day before I had a lie in and got a taxi out here around lunchtime.

SAM_5151_zps04f33ef1.jpg

It was out in the middle of nowhere, and was actually a pretty big place, despite it feeling very old and run down. There was a small entrance fee and then pay-per-ride, and although it was quiet, it was still the busiest place I saw on this trip.

SAM_5152_zps9ecfae62.jpg

Most rides were clustered around the main entrance, but there was other stuff scattered around further back, which you couldn’t see from the main area.

I got the powered dragon out of the way first.

SAM_5156_zpsa51ff644.jpg

SAM_5285_zps1f77c8ed.jpg

Have some pictures of stuff:

SAM_5162_zpsc5f8b44f.jpg

SAM_5167_zpsa6700850.jpg

SAM_5168_zps5c33aed9.jpg

SAM_5169_zps93fa3f18.jpg

SAM_5171_zpsac73e346.jpg

SAM_5173_zpse7739d34.jpg

I don’t think I’ve seen one of these things with rotating cars before. This was the first time I tried one anyway. It wasn’t awful, but I’m in no rush to get on one again.

SAM_5166_zpsbc8d5f68.jpg

SAM_5282_zpsf9e0ce9e.jpg

SAM_5283_zps9a43e5e9.jpg

SAM_5280_zpsdebc00c5.jpg

The second coaster was a jungle mouse. I was obviously thrilled since I hadn’t gotten to ride one on this trip; I usually get at least three.

SAM_5158_zps260413a0.jpg

SAM_5163_zps6af0caf1.jpg

The aquarium was rather gross.

SAM_5264_zps2a8f6dee.jpg

The actual fish tanks were all fine, but with nothing of any real note in them. Not sure on the legalities of having Chinese sturgeon though, which I’m pretty sure these were. They’re critically endangered and heavily protected. Even Ocean Park had to have them officially gifted from the government.

SAM_5272_zps8d0bdabf.jpg

They had a couple of turtles in a less than suitable tank.

SAM_5278_zps72a2b6ec.jpg

This was **** ing horrendous though, just so unbelievably wrong.

SAM_5269_zpsc7998f8e.jpg

There was yet another one of these kiddy log flumes:

SAM_5261_zpsed86be22.jpg

And yet another outdoor shooter thing:

SAM_5263_zps0e1fac5d.jpg

This is the second pirate ship that I’ve seen in China that has been themed to this porno.

SAM_5213_zpsda2bd0e1.jpg

SAM_5257_zps33fca577.jpg

This one shares sponsorship with Pirates of the Caribbean though. Johnny Depp looks rather impressed.

SAM_5259_zpsa332787a.jpg

Away from the main ride area, the park gets a lot more open and greener. It’s basically all set around the foot of a mountain.

SAM_5175_zpsbef7496d.jpg

SAM_5177_zps075cd509.jpg

SAM_5209_zps9db2931e.jpg

Best plant pot ever:

SAM_5182_zps3c1a99a1.jpg

There was one of those small zoos that I mentioned in the last part of the report. I’ve never been into one before, but curiosity got the better of me.

SAM_5181_zps9e8d283b.jpg

I was curious since the signs outside these always have fairly major animals on them, like lions, tigers and crocodiles, but they just don’t seem big enough to actually have these kinds of animals. Wrong.

SAM_5183_zps17cb03fd.jpg

SAM_5191_zpsaf8febc3.jpg

SAM_5195_zpsa111e0a9.jpg

SAM_5187_zps5a365b10.jpg

SAM_5184_zpsa65fb98a.jpg

There was a lion in one half of this box, and three wolves in the other:

SAM_5200_zps8ffe3f12.jpg

This was home to a fully-grown bear:

SAM_5186_zps4fef38e9.jpg

The lion, tiger, bear and wolves had no access to any outside space at all; they were just stuck in a concrete box not much bigger than they were. It was **** ing appalling. The proper Chinese zoos – apart from major parts of the one in Wuhan – are absolutely nothing in comparison. In fact, you can often see where they’re trying to make improvements and bring things up to date.
I’m in no way anti-zoo at all, but I will NEVER go into one of these tiny, park “zoos” again. They’re very commonplace as well, so **** knows how many animals are stuck living in conditions like that.

Anyway, moving on from that, they had a large grassy hill that you could sled down, slide down in a tube, or hire these weird rollerblade things for.

SAM_5216_zps9509ca7b.jpg

SAM_5224_zpsaf0452ad.jpg

SAM_5217_zps7192f29a.jpg

There was also another roller coaster, this time a bit more substantial.

SAM_5180_zps247d66a7.jpg

SAM_5178_zpsdfceb521.jpg

SAM_5208_zps2aa6aa6b.jpg

SAM_5205_zpsafd665e0.jpg

It was pretty horrible, but the setting was really nice.

SAM_5174_zps266dd7ca.jpg

SAM_5210_zps2017d907.jpg

One of the main attractions at the park were cable cars that took you up to the top of the mountain.

SAM_5221_zps8f94b40f.jpg

The cars were tiny, with just one, forward-facing bench in each one. The ride up through the forest was pretty awesome though to be honest.

SAM_5231_zps5d91c3b7.jpg

SAM_5238_zpsb78fcd49.jpg

SAM_5240_zpsb5816e82.jpg

There was really bugger all at the top apart from an enclosure with a bunch of peacocks on it, so I just headed back down again. I guess sometimes the journey is more important than the destination, or some other such new-age s**te that people post on Facebook.

SAM_5245_zps436faec4.jpg

1554556_10154327521275188_8741617064985874093_n.jpg

SAM_5248_zps0214c05f.jpg

SAM_5254_zps007371a6.jpg

Overall thoughts then. Take the horrific animal exhibits out of the equation – or don’t be naïve and stupid enough to go in them in the first place – and it’s not bad for what it is really. While the main rides area is just your typical slab of concrete, the park as a whole has a really nice setting and there’s actually quite a lot there if you’re a family with kids, or if you’re not a jaded, burnt-out foreigner who bypasses the vast majority of what’s on offer.

This whole weekend was clearly nothing special with regards to parks. There was only one decent coaster (Sky Car) and even that was in a park that was an overall disappointment. Having said that though, I really liked Zhuhai as a place (remember it also has Ocean Kingdom now, which is awesome), I spent next to nothing over the whole weekend, and I was under no illusions beforehand that this wasn’t just a bit of a cred run to make the most out of my soon to expire Chinese visa.

So yeah, it is what it is really. +11, but actually a lot easier and less stressful, given the nature of the city, than a lot of other cred runs I’ve done.

davidm

Strata Poster
No hamster wheel at this last park? Disappointing. :(

(Cracking views from that cable car though. :) )

nadroJ

CF Legend
Urgh, the animals make me so sad, I couldn't quite tell, was that a walrus or a sealion? Either way <//3

Park does look nice though, even though that looping thing looks like it's actually made of K'nex.