What's new

Yoyo Land, Bangkok - Photo Trip Report

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I went to Bangkok for a few days for New Year, just because I can. I’ve been a bunch of times before, so I wasn’t going for anything cultural – I’ve seen the palaces and temples and **** enough times already – more to catch up with an old friend I hadn’t seen since San Diego 2010, and basically go on a four-day bender. Parks/coasters were also definitely not on the cards, especially as I’ve done the main ones already.

I arrived late on Saturday, getting to my hotel around midnight, only to receive a message through Facebook that my friend had lost his phone (again) and was still feeling like s**te from the night before, so wasn't going to make it out. Slightly annoying, but since it was Saturday night, I still headed straight out to DJ Station, followed by G.O.D (two big clubs),got home around 6, and surprisingly woke up at lunchtime on Sunday not feeling completely dreadful. I’m putting it down to the fact that it was so late when I went out in the first place.

Anyway, since I had an afternoon free and I wasn’t feeling like hell (a rarity in Bangkok), I decided to mop up one of the shopping mall coasters that I hadn’t bothered with before. There’s actually only one left now. I think there were three or four last time I was there, but I never bothered with them because they were a bit out of the way, and I had other stuff I wanted to do then.

Seacon Square shopping mall was a bit out of the way from where I was staying. I took the BTS (Sky Train – an elevated train system) to the closest possible station and then a 15-minute taxi from there. Going back I sacked off the Sky Train and just got a taxi the whole way back. They’re ridiculously cheap in Bangkok (the 40 minute ride back cost me about £3-£4), so are definitely worth it as long as you’re not fighting rush hour traffic.

The shopping centre:

0dnv.jpg

afdf.jpg

hhh8.jpg

po8p.jpg

On the top floor (these things are always on the top floor) was Yoyo Land.

8gwo.jpg

I was actually surprised by how big it was. It doesn’t seem it from the pictures, what with the ceilings begin very low, but in terms of floor space, I think it’s possibly the biggest shopping mall park I’ve been to. It was split up into numerous sections and there was absolutely s**tloads of stuff to do, all aimed at young kids admittedly, but I was really impressed. A family with young kids could easily spend a whole afternoon here.

mn9o.jpg

ke3v.jpg

1ikm.jpg

ir7g.jpg

giqm.jpg

o8su.jpg

kq0a.jpg

97t.JPG

eqam.jpg

There was even a small stage with various shows. The first time I walked past there was some puppet show.

ise4.jpg

A bit later there were some skimpily-dressed girls getting kids up on stage to do stuff. I’m pretty sure those same girls were doing very different stuff on a very different kind of stage later in the evening [/racist].

4kah.jpg

There was just the one kiddy coaster, which was absolutely, abysmally awful. It basically meandered around in a flat oval right until the very end where it had a tiny drop. It wasn’t powered, (I count powered, so makes no difference to me), so at least it was a 100% certified cred. Apparently, the layout used to be a lot better, and covered a couple of floors of the shopping centre. Ah well, +1 anyway.

4l69.jpg

lzh4.JPG

zdlt.jpg

yin4.JPG

9zme.jpg

So yeah, I spent all of half an hour here taking a few pictures and getting the cred, which cost about 90p, before heading back into town to finally meet up with my friend for a night of reckless debauchery.

The end.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Another great report. Really wish that there was creds at the shopping centres in England, would make shopping much more interesting.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The shopping mall coasters are very rarely any good, so you're not missing much; don't worry. 9 times out of 10 they're just a +1 to the coaster count.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
The worst thing is the coaster actually used to be bigger. MUCH bigger.

There's a rough diagram here

e1vf244bu0012bas000009.jpg

Although from my memory the coaster isn't quite a rectangle now.