What's new

Your worst trips

michaellll

Mega Poster
Grad bash at universal studios/IOA 2010.

That was a miserable night. Every coaster had AT LEAST a 2 hour queue and most were near 3. That being said I didn't ride any coasters that night. Luckily absolutely no one cared about the back of Universal. Men in Black was a walk on and so was the Simpsons simulator (which I adore). So I was able to ride each of those plenty of times. I could do them all night, but my companions we're less than thrilled. ET was walk on as well <3 gotta have that.

The parks we're just full of the most despicable people imaginable and it just made for a horrible time. Not to mention that I was being followed around by one of the most annoying girls at our school and she was constantly flirting with me/trying to grab my arm. Not ideal.

So that was by far my worst experience. I mean, I have to ride hulk once to make that trip satisfactory...

Another that I can think of was when I went to disney as a child and I was pooped on by a bird. As a kid that can be quite disheartening.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Alton Towers last year, drove from Kings Lynn only to get 10 miles away and heating matrix on the car blew, so spent 4 hours at service station waiting to get towed back to Kings Lynn.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
MouseAT said:
Finally, Kings Dominion was pretty poor in 2008 when I visited. Closed rides, staff only loading one side of the drop tower, horribly slow operations (Grizzly on one train operation, only dispatching around every five minutes) and smug park execs boasting about how "we're not competing with Busch Gardens, we're competing with the Disney parks". Maybe I was just there on a bad day, but if that's business as usual then Kings Dominion has a long way to go.

At last, somebody explains it!!! :lol: All I ever hear from that trip was "KD is just a complete ****". No real explanation beyond that.

When I went in 2009, the park was running well. Operations were good and while the park is never going to set the world on fire, it's probably better than most of the parks we have in the UK :)

Saw opening day was abysmal, I think at one point, including kids rides, there was a total of 5 rides in operation at Thorpe. Really, truly awful!

Worst day for me though is probably Alton, 22nd August 1985. Three and a half hour wait for the Log Flume, Cine 360 and home. People talk of Alton in it's "heyday" and how "magical" it used to be. In reality, it was a painful, packed, horrid park with some superb rides you always failed to get on due to the stupidly huge queues.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Kings Dominion isn't usually like that at all. I agree with Phil, it's not the best park in the world - far from it, but it's still good. There's a few great rides and a mixture of meh-poor ones. Like Phil says, that's still better than most UK parks.

In fact, I can't recall any major issues or complaints to be made about Kings Dominion and I went like 5 times last summer. The only real trouble with it is the lack of shade, the trouble they were having with Intimidator and Volcano's death-queue. Oh, and Dominator's lack of zero-g is worth booing too.

I think I only spent a couple of full days there, but I actually really like Kings Dominion of an evening. Turning up at 7 pm on a summer evening when the park is dead, cool and twilight sets in at about 8-9.

I think it goes to show how one bad visit with a large group of enthusiasts can effect a park's rating. I don't doubt that on the day TPR last went was probably dire, but it's such a shame I've heard nothing good about KD ever since.

As for my own worst experiences, I don't know... but my trip to Kennywood and Europa left me thinking both were no where near as good as you hear about, yet there was nothing to complain about outright with either. They both just felt a bit ****. Kennywood felt a lot like Blackpool, only absolutely ****. Their woodies are all exceptionally poor and the locals... :| God, I just.. where do I start? I felt uncomfortable at Kennywood. I don't know if it wasn't for my first experiences of Blackpool being so magical I'd think the same of there? Quite possibly and it again shows what importance a first impression has. With Europa... it's a pretty park filled with exceptionally poor rides and everything about it was meh, just not a reflection of the hype at all. But again, possibly just a bad visit. It will be interesting to see what I think when I return to these parks.

Rush

Giga Poster
Saw's "opening" day was just ridiculous. Whilst it's understandable that new rides break down there was absolutely no excuse for the rest of the park breaking down.

I really didn't enjoy my day at Flamingoland although that was partly down to my Dad's decision to ride the Cable Cars which took ridiculously long because they only had about ten cars running. The weather was pretty muggy, the park was unpleasant and I ended up waiting 50 minutes for Kumali alone because no-one else would go on it. (And only one train was running.)

Knott's as well was pretty bad. Thankfully we arrived early because I managed to get on Ghostrider, Silver Bullet and Xcelerator before the massive queues hit. Again, the park was a dump, long food queues, terrible operations on Silver Bullet and Ghostrider. The Screamin' Swing cost money ( :( ) and the only good thing about the place was probably Xcelerator, which I loved.

I was half tempted to put Thorpe's Annual Pass day from earlier this year. It started off horribly with the RIDICULOUS queue to get in, and the fact it pissed it down with rain but actually it turned out to be an okay day in the afternoon, thanks to the company of course. :)

Kebab

Giga Poster
Trips that stand out for me are school trips I took a few years ago. They're nothing like general trips, you find yourself worrying whether you'll be able to ride everything before the set curfue.

Drayton Manor was a terrible example: ridiculously busy; priced only 5 pound lower than Alton Towers; ridiculous curfue (got there at like 11.00AM, had to leave at like 3:30PM); Shockwave wasn't enjoyable; G-Force wasn't enjoyable; couldn't afford my dinner; spent most of the day searching for other school friends because we all went on seperate rides. Seriously bad trip, and I don't even like Drayton Manor, exception of the flat rides. My ride count for that day was: G-Force (x1), Shockwave (x1), Maelstrom (x1)...

Didn't even have time for Apocalypse :(

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Dorney Park, ugh. All the rides besides Talon are crap, it's tiny, looks the same as every other damn Cedar Fair park, and Hydra was such a damn letdown. The park really is the red-headed step child of Cedar Fair. And while I didn't experience it I've heard so many reports of sketchy people hanging around the park. Just not an inviting place. Massive disappointment after Knoebels and Hershey.

Rankle07

Roller Poster
not been major big problems for me

worst of a good bunch would probably be the last day of corkscrew at alton towers were it was freezing and wet.
was in the que for spinball whizzer for hours. rita broken down when i was nearing the front of the que and didnt open for the rest of the day. ( i think the rita problem was on that day)

BUT THE WORST POINT : burger king, kfc, pizza hut were all closed. me and the gf had 2 cups of tea and a cold hotdog each for the whole day.

Other frustration on a different day was on my first ever visit to Alton Towers ad i had to que 3 1/2 hours to get on rita. It was crazy hot and there was so many people que jumping that it really pissed me off. And from what i could tell, none of the que jumpers got caught.

Josh73

Giga Poster
IOA 2011-My mom was waiting at the exit of Dueling Dragons/DragonChallenge, and my sister and I didn't see her. We passed, and waited at the entrance for 2 hours, until we finally went up to look for her, she was standing behind a tree so we didn't see her the first time. What a waste of time!