What's new

Your Theme Park Job

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
If you had the opportunity to work anywhere in a theme park, where would it be?

It could be a ride operator, general manager, operations manager or toilet cleaner if you want! It's your dream job!

Personally, I'd love to work as a theming consultant / theme designer. Anyone that knows me will probably be aware of just how much I appreciate theming - in some cases, I appreciate it more than the actual ride itself.

I'm a fairly creative person and could knock up ideas for pretty much every ride out there if given the time, and I'm always the first criticise a park or ride if something looks out of place or lacklusture.

How about you?

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah I'd want to work with themeing. Making sure all the effects were installed and working. I'd also want to design rides or just eh scenery for rides as I reckon I'd be really god at it and would love to go out and help build it all and see something I designed come together in real life. :)

Ali

Mega Poster
I'd be a ride op, would be so much fun, meeting new people, talking about rides, meeting fellow enthusiasts! Would be amazing! :--D

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Go-getter, if that's even a job. Run back and forth in the park the entire day, fecth lost hats, stock supplies in the kiosks, buzz around on a segway (or a rickshaw, depending on the park's budget) with walkietalkie batteries, spare part for the mechanics, "sorry, this attraction is closed"-signs, first aid kit if necessary. Just a kind of person that is there, providing practical solutions and gets to know the park inside out.

A dream job, one I'd be able to do, but I have no idea if anyone actually has this job or not.

I'd wanna be a ride mechanic, I think.

As sad as it sounds, I think a janitorial job might be okay in a theme park as well. I even like doing janitorial jobs at MY work sometimes, because you just kinda get to chillax and talk to people, so yeah, I think it'd be fun. Until someone threw up, of course.

Error

Strata Poster
I've been a ride host, and I'm going to be again this year at another park.

It's definately not boring, but it get repeatative (Yes, Matt. You DID warn me). You meet great people and get some awesome perks (Not paying a dime to go to Cedar Point hundreds of times...), but cleaning up sick and dealing with VERY difficult guests can be such great pains. You need to have great patience and a great attitude, if you want everyone else to be happy. The 30 minutes I was mad I got a guest complant.

As such, I would love to be in the design field. Not layouts, but themeing and story, as I'm damn creative with that sort of thing.

A

Anonymous

I think being a ride op would be fun...it would get repetitive but you get to meet lots of people and there's lots of perks! I would love to work at Disney or a major theme park sometime during college.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Management. I'd love to help run a park. I'd settle for the IT manager position at Alton Towers though. I keep an eye on the job boards to see if it comes up ;)

Ben

CF Legend
I'd be a host IF it could be on either A. a B&M hyper or B. something at Disney/Universal.

If it's not either of those two, then theming please.

I wanna op Apollo's Chariot so much <3

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Pressing buttons is fun...

Every ride is different to operate obviously, but there are some where if you're an operator you are sitting by yourself for possibly 3 hours, so there's a warning to some who are thinking about it seriously...

In addition, you do have to sometimes suffer silly annoying people, and you're always the one who is blamed for a ride break-down... ALWAYS...

Elsewhere, I like to think I have a good amount of imagination to be in the theming and design departments...

Pierre

Strata Poster
I would actually like to be a ride op.

Being alone for 3 hours wouldn't bother me, you have guests... and my colleagues sometimes talk to me about some insufferable bollocks I couldn't care less about (its happened already this morning and I've been in since 11)

Also a ride mechanic would be good as when its fixed I'd like to take all the glory.

nemesis_guy

Roller Poster
I want to be the guy who goes around to operate the different rides when it's break time for the ride op. That way I get to go around nearly all the rides covering for staff to have their break.

Wouldn't get bored of that

marc

CF Legend
I would love an IT job working at Disney. I do not have good customer service skills so a ride op job would just be a no go.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Anything which doesn't involve dealing with the general public face to face would suit me. Hidden in an office around the back dealing with calls or emails I would like, but theres no way I would want to be a ride op.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I guess 5 years of being in a call centre just gives me that different view. I'd absolutely LOVE to deal with people face to face. I hate being just a voice haha.

Snoo

The Legend
I'd like to be what I plan on being.. somewhere in the PR/Marketing Department.

Also.. being a ride op would be cool.. :p

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
marc said:
I do not have good customer service skills so a ride op job would just be a no go.

Can't see that being a problem with the majority of UK parks.

No thanks to being a ride op. In my vast experience (one day operating a scrambler. Ugh, I felt like such a pikey) it's boring as ****.

My old job in entertainment was a laugh, so wouldn't mind doing something like that again for a season, just for something a bit different to do. That's never going to happen though. Otherwise, something in management might suit me I suppose.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I've been a ride op before, and I'm doing security at my home park now.

I guess if I had to do something besides those, I'd choose either maintenance or guest relations.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
I'm currently a ride op at Thorpe, have been for 3 years now.. I've also done retail for a year again in Thorpe.. but my dream job would definatly be the Mechanical Engineering side of things in the Engineering depts.

Mark

Strata Poster
If I could take any theme park job it would easily be Disney Imagineer. Kinda narrows it down to a single company but there you go...