What's new

Your smoothest wood coaster and steel coaster?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I’m sure this has been done before, but since here we’re officially encouraged to start new threads rather than dig up old ones ...

What is the smoothest wooden coaster you’ve ridden, and what is the smoothest steel coaster?

For me, I think it was White Lightning at Fun Spot Orlando and Talon at Dorney Park.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Smoothest wooden is Wildfire and smoothest steel is Oblivion The Black Hole. That ride in the front seat was butter smooth, even more so than Mack Megas.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For smoothest wood I'd probably say Mammut at Tripsdrill. It's actually a pretty crap coaster, to be perfectly honest (it's pretty forceless), but it's beautifully smooth. One that will stick in my mind for years I'd say.

Smoothest steel is a tougher one, as I find lots of the new B&Ms and Macks to be very smooth. Nothing particularly stands out.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Smoothest Steel: Wicked Cyclone. It's soooo nice.

Smoothest Wood: I'm not too sure. Maybe one of the mini Gravity Groups like Wooden Warrior?

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm so confused, wasn't you saying that you're annoyed because it's gonna be busy when you're going to go and ride it?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Steel: Batman the Ride SFGAm(Back row, middle left seat)

Wood: Goliath, SFGAm

I really do need to get out more

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
rofl and now the post has been edited how bizarre.

Smoothest I think is either Tomahawk or Balder.

Steel, honestly can't decide. Probably whatever the Looney Tunes VR coaster was at Parque Warner Madrid.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Yeah smoothest wood - Balder (felt almost steel-like tbh)
Smoothest steel - sticking with Liseberg- Lisebergbanan. Very smooth and almost un-rollercaster like at times I thought.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Wood: Phoenix, nothing jarring on it (not including the insane airtime)

Steel: Mako was insanely smooth, and it in particular sticks out for me. I'd also put Everest as one of the smoothest I've done.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Wood: Probably Heidi at Plopsa
Steel: Tough call but I'll say Shambhala because the seats/restraints also make it super comfortable so it might enhance it's smoothness?

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Haven't been on many smooth woodies so an easy winner for me is Mystic Timbers

As for steel coasters it would have to be Leviathan as its just such a nice smooth ride

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Haven't been on many smooth woodies so an easy winner for me is Mystic Timbers
Clearly, new woodies have an advantage. That’s why I was blown away with how butter smooth White Lightning was (not blown away by the ride in general, but just the smoothness).

Then again, I rode InvadR in its first weeks of operation, and while the track itself was smooth and not rickety, the ride had a few jarring laterals that could be called roughness.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Smoothest Wood: Outlaw Run
Smoothest Steel: Lots B&M offerings, top of which I'd say is Fury 325

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Wood: By far Mystic Timbers
Steel: To be honest, it's probably a tie between Raptor and Maverick. Both are very smooth with the track but with a bit of headbanging.