What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@tomahawk was basically riffing on this topic for 2 hours yesterday. I'll let him represent himself with some of those hot takes.

ils

Roller Poster
Space Mountain at WDW isn't good
Made to go on it twice by my two lads back in Feb..and the thing is bloody awful. l just hope when they open Tron may give them the opportunity to close it down and reshape the ride. Disneyland and Paris versions are so much better.

ils

Roller Poster
I have a few more of my most uncommon opinions to contribute:
  • I preferred Galactica at Alton Towers to Manta at SeaWorld Orlando as far as B&M flyers go. I'd also say Manta was my least favourite SeaWorld Orlando B&M. Agrreed
  • The Swarm is my favourite Thorpe Park coaster.
  • Icon is my favourite UK coaster.
  • I prefer Wicker Man to Megafobia, even excluding the theming. Although this one could well change soon, as I'm riding Megafobia again on Sunday...
  • Flight of Passage is overrated.
  • I prefer Universal theme parks to Disney theme parks, from having visited both companies' Florida resorts.
  • Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios is my favourite drop tower, ahead of things like Falcon's Fury, Apocalypse and Detonator.
  • Epcot is my 2nd favourite WDW park behind Animal Kingdom.
  • Nickelodeon Streak is my favourite Blackpool Pleasure Beach wooden coaster.
  • Saw: The Ride at Thorpe Park is rough.
Wow @Expedition Coaster! Some of those really are uncommon, and I'd be intrigued to know why you think some of them! In particular:
  • What makes you prefer Icon to Taron?
  • How come no AT coasters besides Nemesis make your UK top 10?
  • What makes you prefer El Condor to The Smiler?
Of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and the phrase "each to their own" comes to mind, but I was merely interested as to why you have some of your opinions.

Now, about time I gave some of my own, and I've actually thought of some properly uncommon ones:
  • Wing Coasters are one of my favourite B&M models; probably 2nd to the Hyper Coaster.
  • The Swarm is my favourite Thorpe Park coaster, and I personally feel it's almost on par with Nemesis.
  • Stealth is not in my UK top 5.
  • I prefer Thirteen to Expedition Everest.
  • I prefer Galactica to Manta (at SeaWorld Orlando).
  • Nickelodeon Streak is my 2nd favourite coaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach behind Icon.
  • I prefer Gringotts to Forbidden Journey, and I'd probably say I prefer Spider-Man to both of those.
  • Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios is my favourite drop tower.
  • I preferred Treetops to Speed at Oakwood.
  • Flight of Passage, while a very good ride, was somewhat underwhelming for me and isn't in either my top 3 WDW rides or my top 3 dark rides.
Flight of Passage is good but is only rated so highly because of the typical demographic of customers who attend Disney parks. The majority of them would not even entertain a ride on a Hulk or Mako which are clearly better rides and you won't have to wait half of your bloody holiday to get on the thing!!

Matt N

CF Legend
I just thought of a somewhat controversial opinion of mine; even though all of their parks provide immensely enjoyable experiences, I personally feel that Disney as a whole is somewhat overrated. Now don't get me wrong, the theming is fantastic for the most part and there are some brilliant rides within their parks. However, when I properly got to experience their parks for myself in April 2019 (I visited Animal Kingdom in 2014, but Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios were all new to me), I must admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed with a few things. Particular ones that stick out in my mind include Expedition Everest, Flight of Passage and Magic Kingdom as an overall park.

On the flip side of this, I suppose Disney did have quite a few positive surprises, but in the whole, I don't seem to rate Disney parks quite as highly as many. Most people seem to see Disney as the holy grail of theme parks, whereas I prefer the Universal resort within Orlando alone to any of WDW's theme parks, and I also rate Alton Towers & Blackpool Pleasure Beach higher than any Disney park. Don't get me wrong, Disney do some great stuff, but I like their parks less than a lot of people do. Perhaps it's just not really my kind of park experience? Perhaps I haven't seen the greatest that Disney has to offer?

Matt N

CF Legend
I agree that HRRR is underrated, but favourite coaster in Florida is an interesting one! Why does it rank so high for you, out of interest?

ils

Roller Poster
I just thought of a somewhat controversial opinion of mine; even though all of their parks provide immensely enjoyable experiences, I personally feel that Disney as a whole is somewhat overrated. Now don't get me wrong, the theming is fantastic for the most part and there are some brilliant rides within their parks. However, when I properly got to experience their parks for myself in April 2019 (I visited Animal Kingdom in 2014, but Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios were all new to me), I must admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed with a few things. Particular ones that stick out in my mind include Expedition Everest, Flight of Passage and Magic Kingdom as an overall park.

On the flip side of this, I suppose Disney did have quite a few positive surprises, but in the whole, I don't seem to rate Disney parks quite as highly as many. Most people seem to see Disney as the holy grail of theme parks, whereas I prefer the Universal resort within Orlando alone to any of WDW's theme parks, and I also rate Alton Towers & Blackpool Pleasure Beach higher than any Disney park. Don't get me wrong, Disney do some great stuff, but I like their parks less than a lot of people do. Perhaps it's just not really my kind of park experience? Perhaps I haven't seen the greatest that Disney has to offer?
Disneyland Paris castle park is better then Magic Kingdom. It is for more beautiful, it is less crowded , there are hardly any mobility scooters with the obese rushing around on and it has better versions of the majority of the duplicated rides. The only thing MK wins on is snack options.

After going in Feb I made it clear I will never step foot back in MK.

Also Universal parks are far superior and that is not just my thoughts but both my 9 and 6 year old sons.

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
I agree that HRRR is underrated, but favourite coaster in Florida is an interesting one! Why does it rank so high for you, out of interest?

I really like the ride a lot. Fantastic airtime, awesome soundtrack, decent pacing. The ride has a bit of a rattle but that doesn't really affect the ride experience that much. A lot of people ragged on the ride so I came in with low expectations and was blown away by how surprisingly good it was.

As for best coaster in Florida I don't really think the other FL coasters are as good. My next favorite (Mummy) is a stellar ride but I wish the backwards section was a tad longer and the ride didn't have so many gut check stops. Mine Blower is incredible but the ride is a little too rough in the turns for a ride that literally just opened. Some days its decent but some days can be really killer. Mako is phenomenal but the ride dies after the midcourse. I could go on and on.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I've been summoned here apparently.

- Legend may be one of my least favorite coasters. Outside the drop (on and off ride) it has absolutely zero positive features. I understand how some can enjoy some laterals, and I know I'm not one, but seriously, **** this ride. So uncomfortable.

Now for the apparently hellishly hot take.

Kings Island may be one of the WORST BIG parks in the country.

Now before you get all riled up at me, listen. Here are the tiers in term of non kid coaster.

Actual good
Banshee, Mystic Timbers

Average at best
Diamondback, Beast

Crap
Bat, Invertigo, Adventure Express, Backlot

Actual human ****
Red Racer, Flight of Fear

Need to be destroyed immediately
Blue Racer, Vortex

That is a bad lineup. I'm also tired of the constant excuse for Beast, saying how great it is at night. Yeah, it is great at night, but that doesn't excuse it from being trimmed to **** and just boring as hell. If a coaster isn't good in every seat at any time of day, it isn't a good ride. Don't tell me I can only ride something on the third Tuesday of July on leap years in the third row on train 4 in the sixth car. Shut up. It's a bad ride.

Also, how is Banshee 5 years old and have a bad rattle? Is the park maintenance that incompetent? I loved the ride, but in my 2 rides, there was a significant rattle that was a big detractor. Same with Diamondback. Seriously, it's quite pathetic.

But hey, they get a giga next year. Good for them. Can't wait for that **** to rattle while going 95 mph in 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

astead04

Roller Poster
•SAW: The Ride is actually a really good ride with excellent theming, a great main drop and a surprising amount of ejector airtime and I have never found it to be as rough as people claim.
•The UK theme park community has become unable to appreciate just how great a park Alton Towers really is.

astead04

Roller Poster
I'm also tired of the constant excuse for Beast, saying how great it is at night. Yeah, it is great at night, but that doesn't excuse it from being trimmed to **** and just boring as hell. If a coaster isn't good in every seat at any time of day, it isn't a good ride. Don't tell me I can only ride something on the third Tuesday of July on leap years in the third row on train 4 in the sixth car. Shut up. It's a bad ride.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
There really isn't that many excuses for Beast, especially when the Voyage over at Holiday World is doing everything that the Beast is doing a lot better than the Beast does.

Matt N

CF Legend
•SAW: The Ride is actually a really good ride with excellent theming, a great main drop and a surprising amount of ejector airtime and I have never found it to be as rough as people claim.
•The UK theme park community has become unable to appreciate just how great a park Alton Towers really is.
I completely agree with the second one, but I unfortunately can't agree with the first one apart from the theming part!

astead04

Roller Poster
I completely agree with the second one, but I unfortunately can't agree with the first one apart from the theming part!
I mean...the fact of the matter is, Alton Towers gets so much **** talk from the UK coaster community, while despite it not being perfect (and here comes another hot take), it is in my opinion a much better park than most Disney parks are, especially the Magic Kingdom in Florida. It feels even more magical and whimsical than Disney does somehow.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean...the fact of the matter is, Alton Towers gets so much **** talk from the UK coaster community, while despite it not being perfect (and here comes another hot take), it is in my opinion a much better park than most Disney parks are, especially the Magic Kingdom in Florida. It feels even more magical and whimsical than Disney does somehow.
It's just that you go to parks like Efteling, Liseberg, Toverland, Phantasialand, Europa Park, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, etc, and you feel like the parks are actually cared about. Alton is seeing relatively weak investment, awful operating hours, rising ticket and food prices, all round decreasing quality and all-in-all just a feeling of lack of love.

Then you go to parks like that that are some of their nation's best and you realise how far behind Alton is. And you know what the worst part is? Alton could (should) be as good. It's got the setting, the history, the rides (I mean, Nemesis?!!!), but it just falls so far short of it's rivals.

So yeah, I get the hate, actually...

emoo

Hyper Poster
For me, after repeat visits over many years, Alton Towers has lost its spark. It happens and not a surprise but I have indeed seen from other places how much better it could and should have become. Even just looking at what they have done in isolation it often seams half assed or short sighted. Not yet got round to Wickerman as it's such a long way and difficult to get to.

Any park at Disney World, with my only visit a few years back, still gets me excited - plus they have added loads since then and I didn't do everything the first time.

For some KI opinions I'm a mixed bag.
I found the Beast hilarious during the day and well worth another go later on.
Vortex looks fantastic and my 3rd or 4th top Arrow multilooper which is mostly as they built so few that stood the test of time.
I saw Mystic Timbers as another good woodie I have been on where you might wait too long in the shed.
Loved Diamondback as I always do with B&M hypers as they are my kind of ride
Banshee is fantastic with its huge inversions, happy that it's tried the inline twist but my least fav moment. Tied with Nemesis as my favourite invert.
I will welcome any giga no matter how short it may be (Oblivion can manage being a one trick)

Last edited:

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
Alton towers is overrated massively, the management don't care about the park or maintainence and it shows. Nemesis isn't that great. It's a 25 year old coaster that shows its age, rattles and shakes terribly as the train passes through the course, a painful experience no matter where I sat on the train.
The big one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach needs re tracked and new trains. Imagine if it ended up like phantoms revenge with actual airtime hills in the layout