What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Hutch

Strata Poster
^Alpengeist is a good one. I really enjoyed it when I rode it a few years ago. It's huge, but it has some great near misses with the ground. Thought the cobra roll was great too. Nemesis and Montu are better without a doubt though. ;)

Speaking of BGW: Verbolten is my favorite ride in the park. (Need to get back to BGW!)

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
On the topic of BGW, Verbolten really didn't do that much. In fact, the only things I remember are the trains and restraints, the annoying vibration throughout the ride, lots of good themeing, and the lady in the station (And who knows, maybe that's all that is important!). I think it was fun, but I really need a re-ride.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
A couple of mine-
Boulder Dash is my number one. There are plenty of others that love BDash as well, but so many people underrate it I feel. Such a fun ride with amazing laterals, airtime, and terrain interaction. It's phenomenal during the day, but at night (especially in the fall) it just becomes another beast.
Outlaw Run is one of the weakest RMCs and extremely overrated. Perhaps I caught it on a bad day but it was rattly, not paced all that well, and just didn't have that wow factor that I expect from an RMC.
Time Traveler is the best coaster at Silver Dollar CIty. I was blown away by Time Traveler, great variety of elements and just such a fun ride! Also, the drop is one of the best coaster moments that I have ever experienced.

Hutch

Strata Poster
On the topic of BGW, Verbolten really didn't do that much. In fact, the only things I remember are the trains and restraints, the annoying vibration throughout the ride, lots of good themeing, and the lady in the station (And who knows, maybe that's all that is important!). I think it was fun, but I really need a re-ride.
To be fair, I rode it back when I had like 40 creds so it was more impressive to me then. But the indoor portion really blew me away at the time (wasn't spoiled at all beforehand) and there were some solid elements all throughout. It was just a really fun ride and I got several rides. I do think if I were to return to the park I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I used to, but right now Verbolten is technically my favorite at the park.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Deadly serious not many coasters are a as iconic 24 years after opening, people still genuinely run to the back of the park to ride it every day and the combination of the height and out of control feeling of the first drop make it unrivalled in the UK imo.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Fair enough if that's your opinion! I just remember being so excited to ride it when I'd only been to Towers and Drayton but even then aged about 14 I thought it was dull and forceless.

Pear

Strata Poster
Thought of another - Olympia Looping is massively overrated.
AGREED!

It's an iconic ride and I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride it but it was no where near as intense as I was expecting. I should get out to Oktoberfest sometime and try it with 7 cars but I doubt it would make my top 10.

Olympia Looping probably doesn't even hold a candle to Mindbender at Galaxyland and Quimera.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^DISAGREED!
It's ace. Maybe it's my age, but I do love a bit of quality, 'old skool' coastering every now and then, and OL ticks all the right boxes in that department. Dont get me wrong, I ain't no fossil, I'm not one for keeping crappy old relics around just for the sake of it. Almost invariably, newer stuff is better, but there's always room for a bit of Schwarzkopf action. I guess for some (ie old bastards), they're just a pleasant reminder of a time when coasters were starting to get good.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's certainly impressive. But, yeah. It's very overrated.

You would say that though because you're young (ish) and hip (just about), whereas I'm old, fat and hairy.
There will come a time, young man, when the 'kids' start bashing you for having a nostalgic love of those ancient Intamin and RMC things.
And when that day comes, mark my words Lofty lad, I'll be there! ;)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
You would say that though because you're young (ish) and hip (just about), whereas I'm old, fat and hairy.
There will come a time, young man, when the 'kids' start bashing you for having a nostalgic love of those ancient Intamin and RMC things.
And when that day comes, mark my words Lofty lad, I'll be there! ;)
I’m one of those “kids” you speak of that loves RMC and Intamin and honestly, if something comes along that’s good enough to make RMC’s current stuff outdated, I want a piece of that! I never understood all this love for rides just because they’re old. If older rides were really that “great,” they would still make them that way. Sure they might have a better story to them, but in terms of “it’s a good coaster,” I see no reason to give out bonus points to something just because it’s outdated or going extinct. History belongs in a museum, not in practice. To me they’re machines that get utilized regularly, not antiques sitting on a shelf, you need to get better performance out of them to open more doors creating good ride experiences.

Now if someone actually happens to like an older ride as a personal opinion or there are qualities on older ones that have gone extinct that they like, that’s one thing. Even someone that’s as big on innovation as I am has a few older geometrically designed wooden coasters in their top ten. But I don’t get the whole “I like it because it’s old” attitude at all.

Haven’t started going overseas for creds just yet so I don’t have Looping but I could see it being as good as some rides much newer than itself though. I have yet to ride a Schwarzkopf I didn’t like.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ To counter your argument:

A Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang beats the 1967 Ford Mustang in every aspect of performance...
2014-Ford-Shelby-GT500-front-three-quarter.jpg

... but the 1967 Mustang is still regarded as one of the best Mustangs ever built, and one of the best cars ever made in America.
1967-ford-mustang-by-carlex-design.jpg

(Props to @Antinos for brainstorming a classic car comparison :p )

Samekuuu

Roller Poster
I seriously hate Euro-Mir, Silverstar is also very weak. Xpress plaform 13 is overrated, so is Speed of Sound. And Walygatorparc as a whole is very underrated. Some very decent and even some good rides there!

Peet

Giga Poster
Welcome to the forum! You won't find many avid fans of Vekoma boomerangs on here so saying Speed of Sound is overrated is like saying getting kicked in the balls is overrated - you must *really* hate it!
I'd love to get to Walygator Parc - is their woodie any good?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It doesn't get much better than Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain.
Kumba should be praised in a similar way to Nemesis.
Swarm is a bad coaster and is poorly themed.