What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
I don’t know if this is a really uncommon opinion but I still love the grand national at Blackpool, and always ride it more than once when I’m there.

I definitely see a lot more hate for it now than I used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's probably an uncommon opinion amongst most coaster enthusiasts these days but maybe not so much the general public, probably many will just accept it for what it is (like Infusion). The Grand National is a very harsh coaster now. And it can sometimes really feel as if the train falls down onto the track at the first double down rather than rides towards it. Having said that some evening time rides in complete darkness I had on it during Easter late night riding were quite good.

I'm not sure it's really worth keeping ALL classic woodies in the park forever. I certainly don't think any ride should ever be listed.

Peet

Giga Poster
I don’t know if this is a really uncommon opinion but I still love the grand national at Blackpool, and always ride it more than once when I’m there.

I definitely see a lot more hate for it now than I used to.

I completely agree with you, it's still my favourite UK woodie. A lot of softies on here can't cope with the bumpy ride :p but I don't mind it.

Lneeno

Roller Poster
I completely agree with you, it's still my favourite UK woodie. A lot of softies on here can't cope with the bumpy ride :p but I don't mind it.

I’d maybe avoid the back seat now but I still think it’s great. Always come off laughing.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Storm Runner at Hersheypark isn't a top 3 ride in the park.

Dorney Park is probably the most underrated I've been to.

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Here's some for everyone to dissect:
  • Infusion is the smoothest/best UK SLC.
  • Fenix is very uncomfortable and not very re-ride-able.
  • Lost Gravity's rattle doesn't impact on the ride.
  • Air/Galactica is one of the worst major Coasters in the UK.
  • I've only ridden one Vekoma that I've disliked (El Condor).
  • Gerstlauer OTSRs are worse than regular SLC OTSRs.

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
I've been thinking about this a bit since Zadra opened, and I just don't understand the point of ground-up RMC coasters with a wooden structure and i-box track. For the record I'm not including conversions and topper track - they have clear use case scenarios.

Why bother building a whole new coaster with a support structure made of wood if it's going to ride like a steel coaster? Surely the complexity of building wooden supports isn't worth it.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
I've been thinking about this a bit since Zadra opened, and I just don't understand the point of ground-up RMC coasters with a wooden structure and i-box track. For the record I'm not including conversions and topper track - they have clear use case scenarios.

Why bother building a whole new coaster with a support structure made of wood if it's going to ride like a steel coaster? Surely the complexity of building wooden supports isn't worth it.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I'd assume its for maintenance - Now I'm not an expert, but with RMC's pre-fabricated Topper Track its extremely difficult to replace the wooden layers, resulting in the roughness reported on Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod. By comparison, a Wooden Coaster fabricated on site by carpenters can easily have the upper two layers of wood replaced every off season, reducing roughness ( That's if the park have the resources to do so).

This and the fact that Energylandia wanted a traditional RMC was probably the reason that the I-Box was chosen. (Plus with a Wooden structure, the park could market the ride as a Woodie without being questioned by the GP).

Last edited:

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Here's some for everyone to dissect:
  • Infusion is the smoothest/best UK SLC.
  • Fenix is very uncomfortable and not very re-ride-able.
  • Lost Gravity's rattle doesn't impact on the ride.
  • Air/Galactica is one of the worst major Coasters in the UK.
  • I've only ridden one Vekoma that I've disliked (El Condor).
  • Gerstlauer OTSRs are worse than regular SLC OTSRs.
Well here to dissect:

• I've only ridden Odyssey at Fantasy Island in addition to Infusion of the SLCs in the UK. Hands down far, far better though. It is notably smoother I'd say and a far more interesting layout with a big mega drop. I think one of the problems with the standard SLC is the layout not so much the headbanging roughness. The compact nature of twisting makes it just a jumbled mess.
  • Fenix is smooth and other than a bit uncomfortable to get in and out of the seats perhaps think it's a lovely ride and a bit better than The Swarm at Thorpe Park because of the airtime hill after the first drop. I'm surprised you seem to be a bit meh towards GCIs in your signature and dislike Fenix but still like Toverland as a park. I actually agree with most things in your signature of the coasters I've been on and parks I've been to. :cool:
  • I thought Lost Gravity was overrated when I rode it for the first time this year. I prefer Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. The outer seats do make the ride better because of the near misses but it just seems to lack some excitement.
  • Don't understand people's problems with Galactica. I quite like it and the flying seat position system is clever. Think I placed it on number 6 in my Alton Towers Top 10.
  • I like Vekomas too and very interested in the more recent ones. I think they make kick ass launches, far better than Mack and probably beats Intamin in terms of reliability. I do find the older coasters have aged poorly. Notably Rock N Roller Coaster, Hyperspace Mountain and Platform 13. I was very surprised with these this year as they were probably all in my top 10 at some point. The corkscrews in all of these seem almost unbearable to me with the headbanging but even the improved restraints do not seem to negate that enough on Hyperspace Mountain. I assume the coasters at Disneyland Paris show their ageing perhaps more due to the relentless non stop riding throughout the year and longish opening hours compared to other parks. The bad ageing is perhaps a reason why they switched to the outer track wheel assembly setup. Hopefully these will do better.
  • I quite like Rage and think Saw is well themed, but too short.

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
  • I've only ridden Odyssey at Fantasy Island in addition to Infusion of the SLCs in the UK. Hands down far, far better though. It is notably smoother I'd say and a far more interesting layout with a big mega drop. I think one of the problems with the standard SLC is the layout not so much the headbanging roughness. The compact nature of twisting makes it just a jumbled mess.
Personally I didn't find Infusion bumpy on my last BPB visit, just a bit jolty, but only when it had warmed up (Its worth baring in mind that Infusion had much thicker Polyurethane on it's wheels compared to other SLCs.). On the other hand, I thought that Odyssey was quite a headbanger towards the front of the train (and still a bit rough towards the back).
  • Fenix is smooth and other than a bit uncomfortable to get in and out of the seats perhaps think it's a lovely ride and a bit better than The Swarm at Thorpe Park because of the airtime hill after the first drop. I'm surprised you seem to be a bit meh towards GCIs in your signature and dislike Fenix but still like Toverland as a park. I actually agree with most things in your signature of the coasters I've been on and parks I've been to. :cool:
OK, "very uncomfortable" might be an over-exaggeration, however, I do remember Fenix being quite jolty and subsequently throwing me around (BTW those restraints are horrid). I don't dislike Fenix or Troy - I had a really good time at Toverland and found little wrong with the park. GCIs just don't do much for me as they focus on twists and turns and feature practically no airtime.
  • Don't understand people's problems with Galactica. I quite like it and the flying seat position system is clever. Think I placed it on number 6 in my Alton Towers Top 10.
It has no thrill at all and is also very uncomfortable (That's not an over-exaggeration).

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
Personally I didn't find Infusion bumpy on my last BPB visit, just a bit jolty, but only when it had warmed up (Its worth baring in mind that Infusion had much thicker Polyurethane on it's wheels compared to other SLCs.). On the other hand, I thought that Odyssey was quite a headbanger towards the front of the train (and still a bit rough towards the back).

OK, "very uncomfortable" might be an over-exaggeration, however, I do remember Fenix being quite jolty and subsequently throwing me around (BTW those restraints are horrid). I don't dislike Fenix or Troy - I had a really good time at Toverland and found little wrong with the park. GCIs just don't do much for me as they focus on twists and turns and feature practically no airtime.

It has no thrill at all and is also very uncomfortable (That's not an over-exaggeration).
Just to chime in, I also think air /galactica is force less and slow. Don't have a problem with the restraints so much, but the ride itself isn't large or fast enough.
Lost gravity has fast and slow cars, and when I rode it last in the spitting rain it ran very fast to the point the airtime was great, and the mid course brake run had to jolt very hard to slow the car. So maybe you'd ran it in one of the slower trains ?

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Lost gravity has fast and slow cars, and when I rode it last in the spitting rain it ran very fast to the point the airtime was great, and the mid course brake run had to jolt very hard to slow the car. So maybe you'd ran it in one of the slower trains ?
Wait what? I was a big fan of Lost Gravity when I rode it (Its currently my favorite Mack Coaster.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster

Because it looks cool and rides better. I'm all for ground up IBox coasters.