Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YAY Merlin!

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by Ian, Mar 17, 2015.

1. zazobo

zazobo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Oh yeah maybe actually! Open mouthed with the track passing through?

Dar likes this.
  2. ATTACKHAMMER

ATTACKHAMMER Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Just to add a bit more negativity, the boats are also still the same and look tired. The actual ride its self is very dirty.

3. Matt N

Matt N Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Mako
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    Oh wow! I never even noticed that! But now you've said it, I can't unsee it!

Will likes this.
  4. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Mr CoasterForce 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Think it looks dreadful, proper half arsed job only salvaged by the actual tigers. The garish orange buildings with the same grotty roof tiles is just a complete contrast to what could be a very nice area. The drop doesn’t look too bad but honestly think that bodged dragon head cover up sums up this project.

Lofty, peep, DelPiero and 1 other person like this.
  5. MouseAT

MouseAT Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Damn it, in typical Merlin fashion, they've managed to take something else that was a bit worn but otherwise pretty decent, and make it worse. They've done it with Duel, they've done it with Dragon Falls, and I hate to think what's next.

FFS. Looking at the photos, what doesn't look bodged looks garish, and a lot of the atmosphere and character that the area had just seems to be gone. I don't know how best to describe it - it's almost as if the whole area is now a poor imitation of its supposed theme, rather than being anywhere close to immersive.

peep and Dar like this.
  6. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    Chessington's Mine Train and XNWO? I suspect I could go on...

7. caffeine_demon

caffeine_demon Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    skyrush
    Best Park:
    Europa
    Why's this in "YAY Merlin"??

8. Robert.W

Robert.W Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    To be fair, I personally think Duel's latest TLC is an improvement. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I don't think it's fair to say it is any worse than it was before. The TLC has made the ride feel much fresher, the new music is much more atmospheric atmospheric than the old, the new lighting – whilst it still need some adjustments in some scenes, notably the screaming heads scene and the flying bats scene where the mechanisms are now lit up, it's actually pretty good in creating a spooky atmosphere. Some of the scenes have been improved massively because of the Towers Loving Care renovations, and whilst the ride as a whole is certainly not perfect, with further adjustments, I think they could probably get pretty close to that. :)

9. Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Air
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    Matt N and Peet like this.
  10. Benenen

Benenen Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Wildfire (Kolmarden)
    Best Park:
    Islands Of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    Went to Chessington today and had a really decent time. I was a bit anxious what with it being a weekend but the most we queued was half an hour and in six hours we got on all the major rides bar Tomb Blaster and Kobra as well as some shows/feedings and zoo mooching.

The ride line up is actually very good for a park of its scale. Dragon's Fury is the perfect family coaster, really toes the line between being intense with some airtime and not being too intimidating for kids. Vampire is showing its age and shuffles round the track in places but it's long and that dive into the tunnel feels fast and exciting. I'd ride this over the SFC at Paultons any day.

Tiger Rock is really good too, love the lighting and loud music in the station, it's a great atmosphere in there. The layout is pretty average but there's always something to look at and the effects in the tunnel are fun.

Can't really be arsed to run through all the rides but on the whole it's a nice selection. Also the park is small which I love, can't stand walking 5+ minutes between attractions. There's light theming and nice buildings which make it a pleasant park to be in. The soundtracks are fantastic too, especially Tomb Blaster and Black Buccaneer.

I came here as a kid a lot in the late 90s and early 2000s and yes, the place is an absolute state now compared to how it was back then. The lack of new rides in the last ten years or so is really worrying and the African homogenisation of the park is very bland compared to the stark contrast of differently themed areas the park used to have. Operations aren't great either, the queues all move very slowly, the Fury one is particularly agonising. The highest throughput rides I went on today were Tiger Rock and Gruffalo which were probably only getting 800pph tops. Even Legoland has some rides that can achieve over 1000pph and that park is awful for queue times.

While the park is a shadow of its former self and has serious flaws there's still some fun rides and a pleasant atmosphere. I know it's very on trend to hate on Chessington but on balance I do quite like the place. Maybe that's just nostalgia though.