What's new

Xcelerator has problems

Xpress

Strata Poster
Xcelerator has serious problems.

When I went on a trip to Knotts Berry Farm, Xcelerator had a delayed opening. It didn't open untill about 1pm that day, but me and my cousin were the first bunch to ride.

But, later that day, when me and him had waited an hour and a half, only 2 rides away from snagging the front car, the ride died. Of course I didn't want to give up my front seat ride, so I sat there for another hour, with my cousin, who was playing GH on his Envy, waiting. Finally, they took names and told us to come back when it opens. It never did.

So, after waiting 5 and a half friking hours, I heard the ride mechanics talking to Kong (seriously, that's his name) who apparently was the rides manager that day. I overheard them saying stuff about the hydraulic motor, yadda yadda, piston, yadda yadda replacing ASAP, blah yadda blah, next year possibly.

So there you have it. All the Xcelerator fans are screwed for the rest of the year.

Oh, and the train had 10 rollbacks in the 5.5 hour period I was waiting. Anyone know what can cause said problems? And no, the train consecutively rolled back. Never went over the top.

NASHER

Roller Poster
The ride didn't open till one, and closed later in the day. Some part needs relpacing ASAP?
Big ****ing Woop!
Out of four trips to thorpe this year, stealth opperated like this twice (so did Baco at PortAventura) and I know that these rides reguraly have small parts replaced.
Please don't sensationalise this until we are told by the park that it is down for the rest of the year.
For all I know the ride could be buggered up, But you'll look a fool if someone visits tomorrow and it is working.

Snoo

The Legend
Meh. To be good for this long is a miracle. Were you even around Top Thrill Dragster?? :p

A-Kid

Giga Poster
It sounds like its doing the same as what Stealth was doing a few weeks ago, with all the rollbacks. Its been on 1 train since. It was only down for a week though. Stealth's normaly very realiable. Well, more than TTD anyway. That was always down / re-setting / pissing about when we were there!!

You should of asked to go on the train for a rollback ;)

I thought Xcelerator opened 2002?

Mat

Hyper Poster
Sorry to burst your bubble but....

It sounds like its doing the same as what Stealth was doing a few weeks ago, with all the rollbacks.

From what I have heard it was just bad weather and we have had it **** throughout September and late August and most if not all where down to the weather.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
^ It was sunny and hot the days we went. It was only Train 2 that was doing the rollbacks. Train 1 was flying over the top.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Even though rollbacks are expected of accelerator coasters, rollbacks on Xcelerator in particular are actually very rare, as the train always flies over the tophat.

I've experienced an Xcelerator break-down, for about 45 minutes, due to the accumulators or something over-heating, and so they had to cool down.

I hope it's up and running soon though.

Dave

CF Legend
They are designed to take 20,000 launches usually, and if its been going for about 6ish years then its probably gone past its life expectancy. It will takes time to make and ship from Switzerland.

marc

CF Legend
I am sure they will do their best to get it open again for Halloween.

When we were there I must say the ride looked a bit of a mess, one of the trains was in bits.

It did seem to go over the top hat faster than Stealth ever does.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
Sounds like crap to me, when you consider that the man in this article:
...rode Xcelerator 20,000 times HIMSELF since it opened, and that article was printed last year...

Wow, that's nuts. I mean, I love roller coasters and all that, and I would love to be able to ride them every week.. but it really sounds that guy has a pretty meaningless existence.
Wouldn't he get tired of riding the same ride over and over? I'm sure even El Toro would seem tame after 10,000 rides.

spicy

Giga Poster
Accelerator coasters, in general are just unreliable. This doesn't surprise me at all, if you would have said that Silver Bullet is having major downtime then I would be surprised.

I went to Alton 9 times in two years and Rita was down all day every time I went, I rode it for the first time in 2007. They are just an unreliable coaster type due to all the technical stuff that no one understands :lol:

Xpress

Strata Poster
Sorry for a 4 month, 3 day bump :lol: but any new news on Xcelerators condition fellow so cali-ers?

Usually it's running year round, without any problems. This is the first time I've seen Xcelerator brokted. Those rollbacks definately were a treat in themselves. Many people on youtube still don't believe xcelerator can rollback, when me and several thousand others witnessed it happen several times that day :roll:

A

Anonymous

`

dont the accumilators take something like 2 years to make.. cause i know kingda ka had trouble getting theirs into the storage units and if they dropped or damaged it , that would have been it off for another 2 years.

But all i say is , there could have been a technical hitch with either the motor , or well , it could be anythink.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
This is nothing, Rita has been closed every other day since it opened..atleast for me it has :(
Everytime I go it is closed. Every time. I have only been able to get on it once, and that was last year. It opened in 2005. So I waited 3 years to go on the worst coaster left at Alton.