What's new

Wtf is tapatalk?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Alright, so I know it's an app to help use forum pages on your phone, but what exactly does it do? And is it actually any good? Is it better than say, using the actual Internet on my Desire?

There seems to be a growing number of people using it on CF, and rather than just download it and try for myself, I'd thought I'd ask all you lovely geeks :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's excellent. Ian hates it.

Make of that what you may :lol:

It's a universal forum interface. If you like the interface (it's a bit like text messaging I guess), then you'll be fine with it.

It really comes into its own if you use a few forums, and often browse away from a PC. I prefer a proper browser, but if I know I have to keep up with some threads, I'll use Tapatalk.

Their advertising bumph:

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone, Android and BlackBerry. Tapatalk supports vBulletin, phpBB, IPB and SMF forums and forum owner can activate this service for free. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps.

Showing New and Unread Thread with Avatar and Number of reply:
77ec8c55-d161-2949.jpg

Images are thread are converted to thumbnail and allow full-screen viewing
77ec8c55-d19e-1d77.jpg

Ability to see Who's Online and what they are doing:
77ec8c55-d1b3-cbe1.jpg

Ability to search by topics and posts:
77ec8c55-d1cd-05b1.jpg

Ability to upload images directly from Android and iPhone!:
77ec8c55-d44e-0fbc.jpg

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

walker1104

Mega Poster
I use it. I prefer it to using the phones built in browser as everything just seems easier to navigate. Also, theres no faffing about zooming in and all that lot. I think its great.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Hmmm not too bad actually. I agree on the benefit of no more zooming. My only criticism would be that it doesn't really feel like cf. Good for out and about though :D

Sent mysteriously...

Martyn

Giga Poster
I've always seen it as a way to find out how un-funny someone is by the quality of their custom "sent from Tapatalk" tag line thing.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
To be fair, I only used it once in this topic so that you all knew I was using it. Took it off after that.
Thought it was a bit stupid really, certainly wouldn't keep it still saying 'tapatalk'

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ My comment wasn't aimed at you Susan. And to be honest, I didn't even notice you had done it.... it was that mysterious!

marc

CF Legend
I have been using it since the new site went live and I like it, I actually prefer it than looking at CF on a pc.

I also use it for the Grand Prix site I am a member on.

Its just easy and you can have everything in one place.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ You're not alone Nicolas....but I'm just not fussed about having a smart phone.

And for some reason I always find it funny calling people by their full name!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nic said:
Mysterious Sue said:
Lol

and bigger lol that you called me Susan hahaha
LOL! This.

I'm just jealous because I have a **** phone
Ah, but you do have a vadge_phone.

I don't like taptalk mainly because I don't like typing anything more than, say for example, 140 characters, at a time on my iPhone.

For forum discussions and emails, I'd always rather use a PC/laptop.

Nic

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
And for some reason I always find it funny calling people by their full name!
Probably because you keep getting them completely and utterly wrong

walker1104

Mega Poster
Gangster4Life said:
Tapatalk doesn't work on my phone (Nokia N8) :(

See, I have a N97 and it used to work with that phone. But recently, in the last couple of months or so, they updated it and now it can't find any forum that you search for. It's killed it. So it seems to be discontinued for Nokia phones for some reason.