What's new

Wooden Hypercoasters

Snoo

The Legend
I rode it a few years ago.. in a drizzle.. with a lack of trims because it twas a bit cold and it wasn't catching as much.. and that puppy flew around the course. It doesn't happen very often.. but when you get things just right.. you can get a beautiful ride on it. Hell.. I even re-rode it.

s15c

Mega Poster
reddude333 said:
But honestly I would like for CP to get rid of Mean Streak and replace it...with anything!!!

NEVER! NOOOOO!

Though your wish will probably come true. Since SFMM just retook the record for most coasters, CP may demolish Mean Streak and build two different rides (possibly build on on the island were Millennium has its double turn, that is a bit empty). Cedar Point always likes to hold that record for whatever reason.

But I love Mean Streak and would rather have them keep it than go for some crappy record that nobody cares about.

reddude333

Giga Poster
All I have to say is that I haven't had a good ride on Mean Streak maybe I just had a bad day...nothing like the day Snoo Snoo described.

I was by no means saying they should just take it down and that's it...but I would like for something better to replace it...I feel like I was thinking Mean Streak would be good and then it was the most disappointing coaster at CP IMO...

As for the record, I am one to favor going for records, but that doesn't mean having crappy coasters just to boost a stat...

Snoo

The Legend
That was one day.. the one and only time.. since I started going to CP in 1994.. that MS was good.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Haha, yeah...well consider yourself relatively lucky then :) Honestly I only went on it once of the two days I was at CP but I knew it wouldn't be better a second time...I figure one of the issues is the change of trains and braking etc...but those were safety precautions that needed to be addressed I guess...or so I've heard (anyone correct me if I'm wrong please)

s15c

Mega Poster
UC said:
CP doesn't seem to care about the record as much as SFMM does, to be honest.

I think that statement is pretty inaccurate.

Well, yes, Cedar Point by no means cares as much as SFMM. But they still do care. Wicked Twister in my mind seemed like a cheap grab for the title, but then again, SFMM is building a kiddie coaster and that other... thing; if thing is a fair name to call it.

Anyway, if Cedar Point doesn't really care about that record, I think it would be fair to say they're not as smart as we think they are. It's that record that got me to go there, at least. I'm closer to Hershey, King's Dominion, SFGadv, and SFNE, but I went to Cedar Point with my cousins because they had the record and we wanted to go to the park with the most coasters. I mean, to the enthusiast, the record is crap. But to the general public I'll bet you that title got them a rather decent amount of visitors. It at least got me.

Xpress

Strata Poster
UC said:
A "cheap grab" would probably be the rushed production of Scream! at SFMM, which is evident in the fact it's a mirror clone, and they didn't even bother to landscape the parking lot under it

Just putting it out there.... Scream isn't an exact mirror... Evident by the fact that it is 6 feet taller...

Also I think putting a ride on a parkinglot is a great way to put a ride in its full essence, and not try to make the ride quality greater by theming. Imagine if great rides like Nemesis were just on a parkinglot flat, without theming...

And wasn't it you that said something about rides not being whipped up and tossed out like nothing? Something about lots of effort and time to plan them out, where they will go, working out footers, ect. ect. ect. ???

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yeah, but it's like the Batman clones really. They have to put a lot of work into the first one, but then subsequent ones don't change that much, so the work involved in cloning the ride is much less. Kinda obvious really.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
topics

I love how a CP vs MM debate comes out of a "wooden hypercoasters" topic.

I think it's fair to voice my opinion:

Cedar Point doesn't care about the record. They are busy building up family/thrill rides/theming and coasters at other Cedar Fair parks.

Magic Mountain grabbed the record fairly, but the kiddie coaster is very cheap.

Cedar Point focuses on theming and the experience, while MM focuses on the stats and records. There is nothing wrong with either of them, but it is evident that they have different priorities. In my opinion, they are the two best parks in the country.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: topics

bizarrofan10 said:
Cedar Point focuses on theming and the experience, while MM focuses on the stats and records. There is nothing wrong with either of them, but it is evident that they have different priorities. In my opinion, they are the two best parks in the country.
I've never been to MM, but Cedar Point does NOT focus on theming it's coasters all that well. Sure, Maverick and TTD have good theming and that new water-ride thing is themed well too, but it's certainly not the standard they stick to with all their rides. A lot of them have just got a fancy station, but no 'real' theming.

The actual areas of the park are good-ish in terms of theming, but there was still a sense of it just being because they couldn't just have the whole place as one big concrete slab.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Throwing this into here:
http://rcdb.com/m/9114.htm

Accompagnied by a picture. The concept model for the park, linked to on RCDB:
Img274185634.jpg

The park is also planned to get a 210 m tall ferris wheel (that's 689 feet), according to RCDB, but I can't find anything to back this up with.

Yes, it's in China, for those of you who didn't click the link.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Well, I am very excited to see if it makes the mark...and props to Ben for guessing China...your right nut might just be safe :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Mmmm, I still get the feeling this thing would go to crap in a couple years. 200 ft. and 70+ speeds is a lot of wear on a wooden coaster, requiring constant maintenance and upkeep that some parks may overlook.

There's a reason Son of Beast didn't work out.

s15c

Mega Poster
I think this will be interesting. Though Hyde is correct, there may be a problem with the coaster not exactly being 100% maintainable. We'll see if they do anything special.

And going back to UC, Cedar Point does NOT care about theming. Again I point to Wicked Twister (and Corkscrew, and Blue Streak, and Magnum, and Millennium Force, and Mean Streak, and Wildcat, and Raptor) and how there is almost no theming anywhere. Millennium has a really awesome station, but beyond that all these coasters were just sort of built with no story or anything like that behind them. No scenery built in on ride, no dramatic leadup, just some coasters plopped down on land. Good coasters, but just coasters. That said, they have some nice theming on Disaster Transport and Maverick. But two out of how many? (I realize I excluded some rides from those lists. But that's because it's difficult to get too much scenery built onto kiddie rides or coasters that last shorter than the time it took to type this sentence.)

Anyway, I still hope CP doesn't have to demolish Mean Streak if they decide to go for the record. I adore it.