Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Steel

Votes: 18 72.0%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's not a problem, we can merge topics together if they overlap :)

Personally I prefer wooden coasters, most of the time. I prefer the out of control feeling, the shock value and the fun the caused by in-predictability. However, some steel coasters are utterly super. The Intamin Mega coasters and B&M Loopers for instance (well, Bizarro and Dragon Khan at least :p ). They've got bags of stuff going on, lots of great forces, huge heights, etc.

I tend to find that wooden coasters I enjoy, but steel coasters impress. It's hard to put into words, but the thrill from a wooden coaster tends to put a big smile on my face, a good steel coaster makes me breathless and go "wow".

Which do I prefer? Fun generally, but it really does come down to mood and lots of other factors. So neither really, but the best coaster in the world IS wood ;)

dominoes

Mega Poster
I did love the one wooden coaster I went on, but steel coasters are alot more versatile. You would never see Kingda Ka or Maverick made of wood...

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Whilst wooden roller coasters are beautiful, being made of steel allows the rides to be far more diverse and varied.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I'm not really bothered about inversions, my favourite coasters tend to be airtime machines with some good geforces in the valleys and banking. So it's pretty much Steel mega coasters vs Woodies for me.

I choose Wood, although they take more maintenance and can get rough over time I still think they're more fun. I'm sure my opinion would be very different if it wasn't for Gravity Group and GCI though.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I personally love them both. Both kinds can have a smooth ride or rough ride and you cant get the whip of a wooden coaster on a steel and you can't get the inversions of a steel on a wood.

mad mouse

Roller Poster
Wood all the way in my corner
Just a shame there isnt many in britain without going to the back O beyond in wales or going way up north