What's new

Wings3D, Help thread (NL)

A

Anonymous

First you have to add a terrain to the track if you haven't done so already, just add a flat one in the editor.

Then in the old terraformer, just open the track and then just File > Export > To 3Ds object...
and you are there.

Ollie

CF Legend
Why does it always seem to be me that gets the problems? :p

Anyhoo I've got some of my scenery in Wings. I've selected it all and then exported selected as a 3Ds file. But when I open it up in the NL Editor parts of the scenery are missing. I've tried different things like grouping it together and even making the bit that's missing it's own file.

In case it matters it's the pipes and chains at the section at the bottom of the lifthill. I did the indoor scenery and that in one file but everything exports except some of the pipes and tubes from it.
I hope you understand what I'm on about. If you need any screens to see then just ask.

MRJudorules

Roller Poster
Hi guys... I use the Coaster Construction kit to export my track into Wings 3D... the only problem being, is when I see others tracks in Wings, they have like a proper track, but mine is just like a single line going around, so I don't know what's what, and where to model without cutting into the track...

Ollie

CF Legend
The single line block thing is quite normal. The track is about in the middle of it's height. Also leave room each side for the sides of the cars that are over the edge of the track slightly. Just leave plenty of room. You can easily realign it or change things once you've seen how it looks in the sim.

Any luck on a solution to my problem yet Loefet?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Regular car with a light on top of it?

I'd start with a cube and try to shape it out of that. The wheel covers would be the tricky part, but for the wheels themselves, simple cylinders should work.
What separates it from a regular car is the textures, anyway, and I think there are some car-making tutorials on the Net somewhere.

A

Anonymous

^^ ^ It have been mentioned several times before, last time on the previous page of this topic.

If you have the full version of the construction kit, then use it. Or if you don't (or want a simpler model) then get the old NL Terraformer and export the track while using it (you will need to add a terrain to the track before you can export it though).

Then just import the 3ds object into Wings.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Yes, you will need full version of CK or older terraformer. The old version might not work though, because I've tried it before and it didn't work, even though i downloaded it a couple of times.

Another guy i know of has similar problems.

A

Anonymous

^^ Have you added a terrain to the track you are trying to export?
Even if you want a flat terrain to the track you always need to create one to be able to export it...

The construction kit is a program that enables you to edit several things with your track, but the problem is that you can only get the unregistered version (Google it) but it lacks many of the features the full version have (including exporting to 3ds), there is no way to get a registration for the program though since their homepage have gone bust... :(

The old terraformer can be found on several pages, just Google that one as well, it works perfectly for the purpose to get something to scale the scenery to in Wings3D.

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Yes, I have made terrain and everything to no avail.

Also, I've got a VERY annoying polygon problem. I try to reduce them to as little as possible to make the object square (in this case, a trench) but when I ride in the sim, all I see is smooth edges. Any ideas to what the problem could be?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I've got a slight Wings problem. I think the pictures can speak for themselves:

Here is a perfectly healthy Pendulum ride in Wings:
Frisbee_wings.jpg

Exported to 3Ds, imported to Wings, it somehow gets a lot whiter.
Ace-091124114158000.jpg

Can anybody help me out on this?

A

Anonymous

Are you using "materials" or the built in colouring?

Materials is the way to go, and you have to tweak them individually to get the colouring right.
To remove the white in NL, open the "Material Properties" by right-clicking on a material in the "Outliner" window and select "Edit Material...".
Then tweak the sliders to get the effect you want (I think that you should change the "Emission" one to black).

Looks nice though!!

A

Anonymous

Xpress said:
Also, I've got a VERY annoying polygon problem. I try to reduce them to as little as possible to make the object square (in this case, a trench) but when I ride in the sim, all I see is smooth edges. Any ideas to what the problem could be?
No idea, are you sure that you are running the latest version of the file in the sim, so that it's not an older version that have a smoothed section?
Also try and in "edge" mode, select all edges in the object, and then RMB > Hardness > Hard and see if that will make a different.

Xpress

Strata Poster
loefet said:
Xpress said:
Also try and in "edge" mode, select all edges in the object, and then RMB > Hardness > Hard and see if that will make a different.

Yep, that made everything square, but i'm still having an annoying texture problem, like it's as if each of them has their own light source.. :?

textureproblem.png

Any ideas?