Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • NEITHER!

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Soo, since there was a little bit of a debate about this in another topic, I decided it deserved a topic of its own. Which do you prefer, Willy Wonka, or the more recent Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Personally I prefer Willy Wonka, and it's in my top like, ten films of all time. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I grew up with it, but either way, the fact that the the characters are far more interesting in this one, and the fact that Gene Wilder plays a great Willy Wonka (whether he is true to the book or not), is what makes me like it so much. Also, a hugeee plus to this film that can't be said for CatCF is that all the sets are actually sets, and not computerized, which to me, adds to it a lot! The Oompa Loompas are also far superior in the original as well, along with the songs that they sing.

So, what do you think?

Ollie

CF Legend
They're both good but the newer one 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is much better in my opinion as it sticks to the book more and it's much darker like the book was. Johnny Depp was really good as Willy Wonka as well. Kinda how I imagined what he'd be like if he was real.

So yeah it's Charlie for me. :)

Dave

CF Legend
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because its more darker than the original, which is more true to the book.

tks

Strata Poster
New one please.

The old one was crap. And the oompa-loompas looked like Robert Kilroy-Silk.

^ At least they had multiple Oompa Loompa's though, instead of just one that they made copies of. Whackk!

Oh and, whether it's in the book or not, Veruca getting tossed down a whole by squirrels? Puh-lease. I can't remember how many times I re-enacted her getting put down the egg chute, haha.

^ And in my post I just said I didn't care if it was in the book. Just because the movie stays true to a book doesn't make it better.

Ben

CF Legend
Charlie.

Willy is a bit ****. Charlie is wonderfully acted, directed and adapted from the book.

Jer

Strata Poster
Clearly Charlie. It's better in nearly every way (only for the fact that it does not have gene wilder in it do I say nearly).

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
"The other one is better than the other one and I've read the book so my opinion matters more than most"

YAWN. That is such a gay argument.

That best one is the old one, there's something more charming and enjoyable about it. Seems more realistic, and I use that term very loosely.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I couldn't really decide which is better. They're both great but for different reasons. I think Willy Wonka is a fantasic family film. The songs are memorable, the acting's not bad, and Gene Wilder does a good interpretation (though not true to the book) of Willy wonka. The new film is well written, well acted (I thought Johnny Depp's acting was especially great) and of course full of all the modern effects that everybody seems to expect in a mvie nowadays. Did anybody else find the dentist subplot to be annoying and unnessecary though?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, even though I hate musicals. The new one was just not very good, though Mr Dahl himself hated the original as it did not portray Willy Wonka as dark as he had liked, so the new one is a better representation of what Dahl wanted.

In conclusion, Willy = Win :p

Mike

Giga Poster
I've never read the book, and I couldn't care less on what's actually supposed to happen...
The original movie is A LOT better in my opinion.

Dave

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, even though I hate musicals. The new one was just not very good, though Mr Dahl himself hated the original as it did not portray Willy Wonka as dark as he had liked, so the new one is a better representation of what Dahl wanted.

In conclusion, Willy = Win :p

It isn't a musical...Its a film with songs in it, if you took the songs out it still make sense.

Ben

CF Legend
No, Dave. An opera would be confusing sans music, but, a musical just has to have characters singing in it.