Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Let's hear it for Google Maps programmers! :razz:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Sythe said:
I looked up wildfire earlier and this is what I got...
13982b7afde91679dd1cfc2a5765a380.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just looked at the same thing you did and it did not say permanently closed...

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Sythe said:
I looked up wildfire earlier and this is what I got...
13982b7afde91679dd1cfc2a5765a380.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Google said the same thing when the Smiler was closed, so it's definitely not reliable. Is this kind of thing exclusive the Swedish laws? As in, would there ever be a threat of something getting removed in the way in the UK? Although, is anything likely to even come of it?

witchfinder

Giga Poster
^ Theoretically I guess any coaster could be closed for not having the right building permits, but the majority of parks will ensure they have them before starting construction. This just sounds like an oversight or somebody trying to pull a fast one after a complaint, so hopefully will get sorted out without any serious danger of the ride being taken down.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The "Permanently Closed" thing has been a reoccurring problem for Google with all sorts of businesses it seems. Makes you wonder they haven't made it easier to list things as 'Closed' or 'Moved' or whatever...

As for Wildfire, sounds like a similar issue Plopsaland have had (still having?) with their noise licence or whatever it was a few months back. And what Paultons had with Edge and Cobra. An issue arises with the paperwork, someone within the local authorities notices it and brings it up, and then things get blown out of proportion with the worst-case scenario looked at straight away by the masses. No doubt everything will be fine, but it's obviously frustrating for the park and anyone planning on visiting in the immediate future.

Snoo

The Legend
^My man.

I do agree, this may be a bit overblown. It may be because it's Wildfire. If this was a kiddy cred, no one would care. :)

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
According to Parkerlebnis.de, most of the members of committee are in favour to keep Wildfire up and running again (German):
http://www.parkerlebnis.de/wildifre...ehend_37898.html?onpage_ref=home_topnews_pos2

Friend of mine also gave me a rough translation from the article they're quoting, saying it would be up to Kolmarden whether they'll open up Wildfire again this season or not (Swedish):
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=160&artikel=6612592

Quite happy about that, might make a trip to Sweden this year if they'll reopen.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ooh, we're doing rough translations of articles? Let's see... Swedish isn't too different from Norwegian, so I can give it a try:

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=160&artikel=6612592

Wildfire does not need to be demolished

Next week, the building and environment protection agency in Norrköping will make a formal decision, [stating] that Kolmårdens Djurpark's roller coaster Wildfire need not be demolished, despite lacking a building permit.

The building permit was revoked due to a ruling in the Forest and Environmental Protection Court last year, and when [permits] are revoked, demolition is usually required.

"Those who are against the [coaster] think the agency should force Kolmården to demolish it, but we will not do that."
So says the agency's head speaker, Reidar Svedahl.
He think that this decision will be upheld for as long as the process concerning the roller coaster is going on. A new regulation plan for the area the coaster sits in, is in the making according to Svedahl.
"For as long as the process is going on, and there is a hope of getting a building permit, it will be left standing, we won't remove a single nail."
He says that the municipality will not care whether the zoo chooses to [operate] the coaster, or if they choose to keep it closed throughout the season.
"That decision is for Kolmårdens Djurpark to make."

Should be as accurate a translation as I'm able to make. Give or take a couple of wonky sentences.

Lofty

CF Legend
It's news we all knew would come to be honest. The government would not turn around to one of it's biggest tourist attraction operators and say "Yeah, rip it down babes"

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
It's news we all knew would come to be honest. The government would not turn around to one of it's biggest tourist attraction operators and say "Yeah, rip it down babes"
Never say never. We all thought Brexit and Trump won't happen, yet here we are. :p

Back to topic tough, I highly doubt they'll keep Wildfire closed this season if it's up to the park to reopen it, too much of a money loss.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I can't really trust Google Search for anything related to coasters. They said Mean Streak was "Permanently Closed" as well. I doubt that's true since it's re-opening this coming season.

I searched Wildfire and just like Sythe, it said: "Permanently Closed". If Google is basing this off of Wikipedia, I wouldn't trust it.

Lofty

CF Legend
I can't really trust Google Search for anything related to coasters. They said Mean Streak was "Permanently Closed" as well. I doubt that's true since it's re-opening this coming season.
Erm. What? Mean Streak definitely ain't re-opening this coming season, mate.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ By the looks of it, Mean Streak will be unrecognisable after its conversion, therefore the ride, as we knew it, won't be reopening. Besides, it's not going to open in the 2017 season, anyway!