What's new

Wild Mouse at BPB Closure - R.I.P. 1958-2017

spicy

Giga Poster
I just hate the way BPB have handled this. In tears, devastated, making way for the future, some rides just have a life span etc.. It's all nonsense. We want answers.

Furie's post has been miles more informative than anything the park has released. Unless it is actually going to South Pier which would explain the vagueness from BPB.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
In fact, there is another tweet from South Pier now saying "Watch this space" with a GIF of Joey from friends with his mouth opening.

Weird for them to carry on the wind up if it isn't true.

https://twitter.com/bplsouthpier?lang=es
That was here when we discussed it earlier. It's for their reverchon.

I feel bad for Amanda. She's got so much hate over this but I refused to believe that she would have just ripped it out heartlessly without thought. I hope everyone gets to read that article as it's a better press piece than the other statement.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I just hate the way BPB have handled this. In tears, devastated, making way for the future, some rides just have a life span etc.. It's all nonsense. We want answers.

Furie's post has been miles more informative than anything the park has released. Unless it is actually going to South Pier which would explain the vagueness from BPB.
They've pretty much answered it really though. It was too old, didn't meet modern requirements (we already know this, e.g. clearance envelope etc) and caused too much injury (why it closed originally) and may also have been too expensive to maintain. People regularly try and sue big parks in this country for injury claims and this is becoming more and more of a thing. It sucks but as people have said it was on borrowed time. They're not going to say "loads of people got injured and complained" in a press interview.

Pity they couldn't have just made you sign a disclaimer before you rode.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
From what I've heard, it was getting rough and becoming a bit of a maintenance issue so I don't blame the park for doing what they did. It's pretty obvious considering how they did it secretly so nobody could throw a fit and get it listed. I was always a bit curious about this one but knowing what I like in a wooden coaster, it probably wasn't my cup of tea. I doubt they have anything groundbreaking planned to go there given how tiny the plot is and what seems to be the reasoning behind its removal, but more space for them to progress and them straight up stating it themselves is logical enough for me. It's not like it was that influential or iconic so there were probably other coasters that deserved to be preserved more.

All these people getting mad (not "I'm upset they removed it" mad, like actually getting mad and throwing social media tantrums) would at least take a second to look at the new multi launcher they're getting this year that's probably going to be way better.

Will

Strata Poster
Amanda Thompson in tears.
Probably something to do with the fact that I didn't visit Blackpool until 2004, so the changes for the worse happened almost immediately, but I've never liked that woman and it's unlikely I ever will. All this does is remind me that she's a thespian first and a theme park owner second.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Probably something to do with the fact that I didn't visit Blackpool until 2004, so the changes for the worse happened almost immediately, but I've never liked that woman and it's unlikely I ever will. All this does is remind me that she's a thespian first and a theme park owner second.

You know, I really understand your point of view. I used to dislike Amanda and the direction in which she took Pleasure Beach. Her earlier decisions were some of her poorest, admittedly. At the same time, I can imagine the dilemma from her perspective. Pleasure Beach is an iconic park, with rich history and undoubted sentimental value not just for the residents and visitors, but also for her family. After all, they enabled the Pleasure Beach to be what it is today. That may not sound like much, but at times, it has felt like BPB could be another seaside park to face the axe. I think that's why I still appreciate the place. It managed to push through a lot of difficulty where similar parks couldn't. It's also very difficult to please the majority, since a lot of people want to see new advanced rides and others cherish every single historic ride. Balancing that out with the lack of space is a bit of a tightrope task. In recent years, I've seen a more hopeful and progressive side to Amanda (through her public image at least). Her connections with the leading parks in Europe seems to be strengthening, and I think she has transitioned into a admirable business woman quite seamlessly. She has given BPB quite a notable make-over, cleaning up most of the downtrodden areas and pushing forward with bold new plans. I only hope this continues and that there are genuine plans being considered to succeed what was a legendary ride.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
All these people getting mad (not "I'm upset they removed it" mad, like actually getting mad and throwing social media tantrums) would at least take a second to look at the new multi launcher they're getting this year that's probably going to be way better.
No, it doesn't work like that. You can't expect people to happy there's one less ride at the park than they thought was going to be there. Everyone thinks Icon is a good addition to the park, they weren't expecting it to be a replacement.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Exactly - if they'd announced Icon and Mousespite at the same time, perhaps we'd have reacted like that. However, as I've said at least once - Icon is not replacing Mouse.

I can't imagine 1990s enthusiasts saying 'We shouldn't be upset that Thunderlooper is going; I hear something big is opening on the other side of the park next year' :rolleyes:

On paper, Icon is obviously the better ride - but ironically, Wild Mouse will always be the more iconic.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
For the record, there is absolutely nothing left of Trauma Towers, the entire building has gone. I think the fountain area will get a major overhaul after the 2018 season, I think we'll see new indoor and outdoor catering.

I also think the new ride in the area will eventually replace the Bowl-A-Drome.

Peet

Giga Poster
That's good I suppose, any pictures? It must be quite a big area now, I can't see any big investment there for a few years though.
Anyone else still an emotional wreck about the Wild Mouse or is it just me?!

lachlan

Mega Poster
That's good I suppose, any pictures? It must be quite a big area now, I can't see any big investment there for a few years though.
Anyone else still an emotional wreck about the Wild Mouse or is it just me?!
Not quite an emotional wreck but still shocked that it's actually gone. Very upsetting how they dealt with the situation.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I've come to realise that even though it's been demolished without notice, in the long term, I think it might have been better. With all the problems the park have with the ride and its health and safety, it would only be a matter of time before the ride would have been completely ruined through the fitting of excessive trims, probably new cars etc. Everyone would've complained about how the ride was ruined.

Is there anyone who would have rather watched the ride be modernised and tamed to a point where it's barely the same ride it used to be?

GigaG

Roller Poster
Was it truly unsafe though, with the possible exception of clearance issues?

I really don't like the trend of individual stapling restraints on everything and the neutering/demolition of older aggressive rides. The people who make those regulations would like every coaster to be like the CGA Grizzly.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Someone posted this on the a local facebook page. Looks like quite a lot of work is actually going on.

fJIHxlM.jpg